What's new

Muhle is launching a LE R41 Stainless Steel

I did a side by side comparison between the R41GS and my R101 (black resin handle) and my initial thoughts on the R41GS being a tiny bit more aggressive was probably due to the blade. alone and went more ATG on my 2nd pass.

Did a side by side comparison between the R41GS and R101 today and went mostly ATG on my 2nd/final pass :out:

The result was that throughout the shave both razors felt and performed the same. If there are differences between the two - I can't feel them (besides the weight difference of course).

My initial thought that the R41GS was perhaps a tiny bit more aggressive may well have been due to my choice of blade because it felt just as feisty in the black resin handled R101.

Thanks for taking one for the team! :thumbsup:

This morning I had my third shave with the GS. Blade of choice was a BIC Platinum Chrome (3).
Three passes with a very sharp blade attached to the GS are certainly a challenge, however I justed wanted to see how far I can take it. Overall, It´s been another excellent and close shave.

The blade feel was absolutely noticeable but not rough or harsh (again, mostly with steep handle postion with a slight lift), the blade glided smoothly and efficiently over my skin. It didn´t cause any nicks or irritation.

With the GS I find it noticeably easier to get a flawless result thanks to the heavier weight (compared to the standad R41), especially in the final pass atg.

In any case, you should take your time when shaving with the R41 - this is not a razor if you're in a hurry and "working against time". This applies to the GS as well as the normal R41.

For me, however, the GS is a keeper!

20210324_122603-01-01.jpeg

Last edited:
This morning I had my third shave with the GS. Blade of choice was a BIC Platinum Chrome (3).
Three passes with a very sharp blade attached to the GS are certainly a challenge, however I justed wanted to see how far I can take it. Overall, It´s been another excellent and close shave.

The blade feel was absolutely noticeable but not rough or harsh (again, mostly with steep handle postion with a slight lift), the blade glided smoothly and efficiently over my skin. It didn´t cause any nicks or irritation.

With the GS I find it noticeably easier to get a flawless result thanks to the heavier weight (compared to the standad R41), especially in the final pass atg.

In any case, you should take your time when shaving with the R41 - this is not a razor if you're in a hurry and "working against time". This applies to the GS as well as the normal R41.

For me, however, the GS is a keeper!

View attachment 1241152
Your camera skills are on point again!

I have tried to put the blade as unaligned as possible to see how it could look like in worst case... Please note that you would not do this when you are going to shave with it. It is just the worst case.

That looks scary...

Don't do this at home... they say.:lol:

Fortunately, in "real life use" I don't have such issues. The blade alignment is flawless.

Haha, yes, absolutely! I rushed an R41 shave on Saturday and paid in blood!

That looks scary...

Don't do this at home... they say.:lol:

Fortunately, in "real life use" I don't have such issues. The blade alignment is flawless.
I did everything to misalign the blade :)

Anyway I found a way to ensure perfect blade alignment. Just hold the cap with the shorter end below, put in the blade and let gravitation do the alignment job. Then press the plate on the blade and screw the handle on it. Maybe all of you know this trick and I was the only one not aware of this 🥺

Thursday's shave

B&M Le Grand Chypre
Simpson M7
Muhle R41 GS
Gillette Silver Blue
P&B Star Noir splash
SV Cubebe EDP

My first shave with an R41 and it went well, no nick's or weapers. I did my usual three passes for a bbs result, it was reasonably straightforward but not as comfortable to shave with as the Timeless 0.95 which retains its top spot (for me).

2021_0325_09410900.jpg

M

member 119848

Nice picture, @MarkP ;)
I don´t have the .95 plate nor the R41 anymore. And my new R41 hasn´t arrived yet.
From my memory, the Timeless 0.95 is definitely smoother than the R41.
But when comparing efficiencies, I would still bet that the R41 is more efficient. "What say you?"

Nice picture, @MarkP ;)
I don´t have the .95 plate nor the R41 anymore. And my new R41 hasn´t arrived yet.
From my memory, the Timeless 0.95 is definitely smoother than the R41.
But when comparing efficiencies, I would still bet that the R41 is more efficient. "What say you?"
I would say the R41GS is very slightly more efficient than the 0.95, but I've only used it once so far...

I would say the R41GS is very slightly more efficient than the 0.95, but I've only used it once so far...
Thanks, this is a helpful comparison. My regular razor is a 2011 R41 and I was contemplating the timeless .95. Which base plate were you comparing? Sounds like I might save some money and explore some other razor options instead.

Thanks, this is a helpful comparison. My regular razor is a 2011 R41 and I was contemplating the timeless .95. Which base plate were you comparing? Sounds like I might save some money and explore some other razor options instead.
In my experience the 2013 R41 is quite a bit more efficient than the Timeless .95.

M

member 119848

I have just received the R41 GS.

Man it´s gorgeous! The polishing has a mirror grade finish, and the inside of the head is matt.
Overall the fit and finish is flawless. Except for the weight you would think it´s a chrome plated version.

Now about the blade alignment. I´m quite picky about this...
Due to previous posts I was excepting some play so I was anticipating to send the razor back.
I loaded a blade and tightened the razor to check the alignment. And I repeated the process several times.
All I can say is that the blade aligned properly each time. So there´s nothing to worry about.

The razor costed me 130€ shipped to my door. And considering the complex intricacies to machine this razor + a fit & finish that is top notch. I would say that the price is reasonably justified.

👌

Overall the fit and finish is flawless.

(...)

Now about the blade alignment.
I loaded a blade and tightened the razor to check the alignment. And I repeated the process several times.
All I can say is that the blade aligned properly each time. So there´s nothing to worry about.
+1 on ^^this^^

Have a great first shave!

M

member 119848

+1 on ^^this^^

Have a great first shave!
Thank you!
I´ll have to wait until the month is over as I committed myself to the FFFMM. 🙂
Nowadays I tend to gravitate towards mild shavers, but I´m nevertheless excited to have the R41 back in my den.
This razor is my Porsche ;)

M

member 119848

Are razor blades from many different brands always perfectly consistent? If not, they'd have to deliberately design in a small amount of play.
Yes I do think that blade sizes are consistent.
And even a Timeless razor (which is super tight in term of tolerances) don´t have any issues with blades fitting in.

I've actually heard a recommendation to try Bolzanos in razors that seem to have too much play. The rumor is that they grip the posts more tightly. I'm planning to test that theory with my Schone soon, since I happen to have a tuck of Bolzanos I picked up a while ago to revisit.

Top Bottom