What's new

Participation PIF - The Mysterious KAI Blades

20210322_125223-01.jpeg

Razor: Mühle R41 Grande Stainless Steel

Blade #2 / shave #6

Another flawless two pass shave today. The blade feel was not unpleasant, though I loaded it into the R41.
BBS - as to be expected. My skin feels just airy and silky.

Onward!

Kai 4 #10
Fat Boy G #5-7
MDC
Chubby2
Alum
Speick sport AS
Retinol ROC

Smooth 2+ pass shave. Some irritation. Good shaves.
In the interim I have used a Nacet (used to love them) found it a bit harsh now..., Personna USA (was good).
Kai is a good blade.

Thirty-second shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Fine Stout 24mm Angel Hair
Soap: Vitos Classic Eucalyptus and Lanolin

The Fine Stout only needed a small blob (0.3 cc) of Vitos Classic to create enough rich, extra-slick lather for five passes.

Side note: The more that I use Vitos Classic, the more that I agree with my Mom's assessment of the fragrance as smelling like "horse liniment". The woody, minty notes of eucalyptus and the sweetly metallic tang of lanolin does smell like the stuff you rub on a tired horse. The human analogue is Absorbine Jr. which, surprisingly, is made by the same company that makes Absorbine Veterinary Liniment. Having said that, I really like the scent; it's soothing and refreshing, and is never overpowering which is ideal when you're going to put on some stinky aftershave, anyway! Well, enough about that... 😜

The fine lather ably assisted another smooth, comfortable performance by the FOCS/Kai pairing. My three routine passes were quick and trouble-free, again. As usual, there was no post-shave-irritation.

Thirty-third shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Purple 24mm Mink
Soap: RazoRock Black Label

A slight mash and two back-and-forth rotations of the Yaqi Purple Mink was all that was needed to load enough RR Black Label for exactly three passes.

As I've come to expect from the FOCS/Kai duo, those passes were very smooth and comfortable.

There was no post-shave irritation, so no ASB was needed. That's okay because the lingering scent of Black Label's classic fougère is quite appealing and it would be a shame to cover it up.

Kai 4 #11
RR 0.84 SB (don't use it much)
Omega Mighty Midget mixed brush
TOBS stick sandalwood
WitchH medicated
Proraso Green AS
Nivea balm

I did a side / side comparison again, half face with this: shave was close , minimal irritation = a real good shave

Other half was FOCS with Med Prep persona #3, shave was close but I had significant irritation.

Kai wins

Blade 1 Shave 15 and 16

Pre Shave: Hot shower and Neutrogena face wash
Razor: WCS Toothsome head
Blade: Kai (16)
Brush: Maggard Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Gatlinburg
AS Balm: Nivea
AS: Vintage Avon Leather

Shave 15 was Sunday before church and was the same set up as 14. Nothing exciting to report on that shave other than it sliced through four day stubble with ease.

Shave 16 was this morning. I keep thinking that maybe this blade will finally die but it just keeps performing. This morning was two passes on my cheeks and three on my neck with very little clean up to produce a DFS.

To think I was ready to ditch this blade back after shave 7 or 8.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
What a lazy loser I am!

I FINALLY did my 5th shave on the first blade.

This Covid has been tough. I shaved Monday AM in the shower. Usually I used canned foam Barbasol, with Brut bar soap applied before the foam. This time I decided to use the old brush I'm trying to destroy by not rinsing it since July 5th? of 2019.

Here's a pic of the gear:
IMG_20210322_201231110~2.jpg

This blade is awesome.

Last edited:
Kai 1, shave 16: joining in with Dovo/Merkur brotherhood

stubble reduction:
>Dovo 6 Carre / Tony Miller roughout horsehide
detailing and shim test:
>Merkur '36' / Kai (16), razor assembled from a nickel plated vintage Merkur travel razor head mounted on a modern short/thin Merkur handle
>Merkur 37 / bottom shimmed Feather (5)
prep and lubrication:
>Col Conk Amber, heavy menthol / Sanax boar
>RazoRock Blue Label stick / Opal brush knotted x-scrubby
at the buzzer:
alum
Osage Rub rinse
cold water rinse
Florilsec badger blend (Lime Sec scent + Florida Water burn)

4F9234F5-E839-422A-A198-F546F171E170.jpeg

Same razor head as my 11th shave with this blade. Very smooth and close, but the shimmed Feather delivered the final BBS touch to my troublesome neck maelstroms.

FarmerTan

But still alive! (You, that is. Not so sure about the brush.)
Oh, that brush should have been buried awhile ago.... Me, well, I guess I'm still here for a reason. But I've got to call my doctor tomorrow. They gave me a Rx for a Zpack that I was supposed to fill if I thought I needed it. I finally started taking it . This rib cage pain could be pleurisy. Need an x-ray. Hurts like heck.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Wed, Mar 24th 2021

Razor: Razorock SLOC- Mfg 2017, <mid range, Easy razor to use IMO, with a Kai SS blade it is a little more aggressive & efficient.
Blade: Kai SS (10)binned) excellent blade, Sharp & smooth + wider than a Gillette standard blade. Good longevity I have noticed.
Soap: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore, nice mild scent of vanilla & light tobacco with some menthol. Excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo knot with black marble handle, excellent lather generator, soft cloud like tips, nice scrub and painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on my cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore with witch hazel + a dollop of Avon True gent balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 2 blemish weepers = :a17:Excellent shave with my RR SLOC razor + Kai SS blade.
DE SOTD, Wed, Mar 24th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

FarmerTan

DE SOTD, Wed, Mar 24th 2021

Razor: Razorock SLOC- Mfg 2017, <mid range, Easy razor to use IMO, with a Kai SS blade it is a little more aggressive & efficient.
Blade: Kai SS (10)binned) excellent blade, Sharp & smooth + wider than a Gillette standard blade. Good longevity I have noticed.
Soap: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore, nice mild scent of vanilla & light tobacco with some menthol. Excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo knot with black marble handle, excellent lather generator, soft cloud like tips, nice scrub and painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on my cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore with witch hazel + a dollop of Avon True gent balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 2 blemish weepers = :a17:Excellent shave with my RR SLOC razor + Kai SS blade.
DE SOTD, Wed, Mar 24th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!
I've probably asked you this before, but what do you think of the Avon True Gent?

FarmerTan

Oh, that brush should have been buried awhile ago.... Me, well, I guess I'm still here for a reason. But I've got to call my doctor tomorrow. They gave me a Rx for a Zpack that I was supposed to fill if I thought I needed it. I finally started taking it . This rib cage pain could be pleurisy. Need an x-ray. Hurts like heck.
Feeling better, rib cage anyway, ha. Much better. Headache, but FINALLY the rib pain is manageable.

Again, avoid this disease. Very little upside to it. But if anyone can find it, it'll be me.

proxy.php

Thirty-fourth shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
Brush: Maggard 18mm Timber Wolf, Travel-Size
Soap: RazoRock Green Label

Overall, another great shave.

The Maggard 18mm Timber Wolf worked like a champ. A surprisingly light load of RR Green Label generated more than enough lather for today's shave. A touch of extra water made the lather a bit runnier, but much slicker, at the slight cost of cushioning.

Regardless, the FOCS/Kai duo still performed superbly. My three usual passes were quick and trouble-free. The XTG pass was particularly effortless. There's no discernible dulling of this blade, yet. Quite remarkable, really, since it has lasted nearly four times as long as the previous one. There was no post-shave irritation, so no ASB was required, again.

Excalibur! Better toss this one back to the Lady of the Lake when you get tired of taking it into battle.
Actually, I was thinking of sending it back to @Grundi so he can frame it and hang it on his wall! 😜

20210325_105202-01.jpeg

Razor: MingShi 2000S

Blade #2 / shave #8

I really enjoyed today's shave. Nice, smooth and easy 3 pass shave, bbs- on the face and dfs on the neck.

Attached to this Future clone KAI's blade feel has not been an issue at all. it's been just a super smooth shave, setting was 2.
With eight shaves in the books the blade still is standing strong.

Onward!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I've probably asked you this before, but what do you think of the Avon True Gent?
Hello Dave, Hopefully you are on the mend. About the Avon True Gent I'm not sure if you asked but it is OK in the balm and Body wash and if you like strong tobacco scent the cologne would be a consideration IMO. At first the cologne seemed ok but the wife did not care for it and after a while I stopped using it because it is a little to strong even with a good dilution of Witch hazel. And of course Avon stopped making the body wash and that stuff is perfect scent wise IMO. The aftershave balm is good also and is just about right with a nice scent fade after a 4-6 hrs.
Talk to you later and have some great shaves!

Kai 4 #12 (though having done 3, 1/2 face shaves maybe 10ish real uses---vs last time I was shaving both head and face that probably counted wrong as those were at least double use value......)
Schone
Tabac
Commodore x2
Alum
witch medicatd
Speick AS
Retinol (as per Derm advice)

1st pass with Schone was butter smooth.....amazing. But then the last against, riding the cap....man that burnt.
The other half face was done w Leaf and one of their blades (this was 3-4th try w this razor) not smooth so far.

One weeper on Kai side.
Alum did not burn much, but the AS was exciting......
And retinol is not smooth.....I am starting to think this thing makes the shave feel rough ?

As always, Kai gets a close shave.

Top Bottom