What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

"The King" on Netflix

Not "great" ... but certainly a good, enjoyable film re-telling in a different way the (let's face it) fictional version of King Henry V and Falstaff made famous by Shakespeare.

It's not an "entertaining documentary" of what actually happened. About the level of historical accuracy you will get is "there was a King Henry V of England, and he won the battle of Agincourt." (After 600+ years, you don't get a spoiler warning.)

But it's fun fiction.
so, is this pretty much like Welles's Chimes At Midnight?

Watched The Return of Sherlock Holmes (1987) and Sherlock Holmes Returns (1993). Both were failed pilots wherein Holmes is frozen in the Victorian era and thawed in "present day" by a young woman who becomes his Watson. The later version was better written, but the earlier benefited from Magaret Colin as "Jane Watson," great granddaughter of the biographer. Plus, another failed pilot, played more for laughs, The Return of the World's Greatest Detective (1976) with Larry Hagman as an inept motorcycle cop who gets a konk on the head and believes himself to be Holmes with all the abilities. This one was between Jeannie and Dallas when Hagman was struggling to find a new project.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The Hobbit
Unexpected Journey.
Spoiler alert below

Wasn’t paying that much attention to time but was surprised by the ending as a cliff hanger. After just reading the book I see how they cut it up and stretched it out over multiple movies.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Watched The Return of Sherlock Holmes (1987) and Sherlock Holmes Returns (1993). Both were failed pilots wherein Holmes is frozen in the Victorian era and thawed in "present day" by a young woman who becomes his Watson. The later version was better written, but the earlier benefited from Magaret Colin as "Jane Watson," great granddaughter of the biographer. Plus, another failed pilot, played more for laughs, The Return of the World's Greatest Detective (1976) with Larry Hagman as an inept motorcycle cop who gets a konk on the head and believes himself to be Holmes with all the abilities. This one was between Jeannie and Dallas when Hagman was struggling to find a new project.
I recently watched the Sherlock Holmes version of fairy recent vintage with Robert Downey jr. I think I had seen much of it or portions in the past but had it on while working. It’s terrible. He plays the same smart a$& know it all in every film. Plus the relationship with Watson wasn’t believable at all to
Me. They should have them been just out of the closet it would have been at least respectable.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1614486194397.png

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I recently watched the Sherlock Holmes version of fairy recent vintage with Robert Downey jr. I think I had seen much of it or portions in the past but had it on while working. It’s terrible. He plays the same smart a$& know it all in every film. Plus the relationship with Watson wasn’t believable at all to
Me. They should have them been just out of the closet it would have been at least respectable.
Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce own those roles in motion pictures. On television, for me at least, it's Ronald Howard of the old ('50s) British series.

Agree, the RDJ version is Holmes in name only. Even Matt Frewer of Max Headroom fame did a far better job with Holmes than did RDJ.

Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce own those roles in motion pictures. On television, for me at least, it's Ronald Howard of the old ('50s) British series.

Or Jeremy Brett!

I watched An American Pickle. Now, I must preface by saying I enjoy Seth Rogen as a comedian. There are some who can't stand him and that's fine, I understand. My dad hated Jackie Gleason. I am sure there are many people who will disagree with him on that. But the movie is outstanding. Rogen plays dual roles and excels at both, neither one entirely likeable, but both true to their time.

Back to my Fritz Lang: The Silent Years (Blu-ray) box set. Today it's Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler (1922). Just taking a break after the 1st 2.5 hours. Only another 2 hours to go. My wife is hiding in the basement texting kids and grandkids. While not my favorite silent Lang film, it's still a great movie. I also have an older dvd and UK Blu-ray Steelbook.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Back to my Fritz Lang: The Silent Years (Blu-ray) box set. Today it's Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler (1922). Just taking a break after the 1st 2.5 hours. Only another 2 hours to go. My wife is hiding in the basement texting kids and grandkids. While not my favorite silent Lang film, it's still a great movie. I also have an older dvd and UK Blu-ray Steelbook.
Let me guess she’s begging to be rescued? 🤣🤣🤣
No offense intended but I’ve noticed that you seem to be about 120 years behind in your flick selections. 😁

Top Bottom