What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

My wife chose the first movie we watched last night, Seems Like Old Times, with Chevy Chase. We've seen it many times and like it. I chose the second movie, RED, with Bruce Willis and Malkovich. I had seen it before, she hadn't. I thought she'd hate it, but she liked it. Maybe if I can find RED 2, I can talk her into watching that one tonight.
I have seen RED 2 listed on Netflix recently (If you haven't already found it).

A thriller directed by William Asher, The Shadow on the Window (1957). A police detective's wife is caught up in a robbery and murder and held as hostage by three young punks, one of whom is John Drew Barrymore -- John Sr.'s son and actress Drew's father. Betty Garrett is the wife, and Phil Carey (later a good TV Philip Marlowe) plays the cop. And Jerry Mathers as The Beaver! Well, no, not really; he plays the 6-year-old son of the couple. After seeing his mother struck by the robbers, he runs and is found, in shock, unable to tell where all this happened. So the cops must race to track his mother's movements. Nice B & W thriller, not The Desperate Hours or The Petrified Forest, but a good little cops-and-robbers tale.

Perry Mason. Made back in the 30’s. It was awful.
Is that one made with Warren William (the poor man's Adoph Menjou)?
My weekend was
The Endless--very interesting low budget sci-fi about a possible cult
Music--irritating musical about an autistic teen who fantasizes elaborate musical numbers (kind of like a tone-deaf Tommy)
Sherlock Holmes in New York--enjoyable 1976 TV movie free on YouTube with Roger Moore as Holmes, John Huston as Moriarty, and Charlotte Rampling as Irene Adler.

The live action Beauty and the Beast. I quite enjoyed it, my wife not so much (the original was one of her favorites so it was always going to be a tough act to follow). It also reminded my how good Angela Lansbury was in the original!

The purge 1 & 2

The purge gets a 7/10. It was decent.

The 2nd purge gets a 4/10. It was just ok.

From memory, Purge 3 is similar to the 2nd film, just ok. I quite liked the 4th film "The First Purge" just because it's a bit different and provides some context to everything.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
"The King" on Netflix

Not "great" ... but certainly a good, enjoyable film re-telling in a different way the (let's face it) fictional version of King Henry V and Falstaff made famous by Shakespeare.

It's not an "entertaining documentary" of what actually happened. About the level of historical accuracy you will get is "there was a King Henry V of England, and he won the battle of Agincourt." (After 600+ years, you don't get a spoiler warning.)

But it's fun fiction.

Top Bottom