What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

My last few: Judas and the Black Messiah-- interesting historical story told through the eyes of Judas, filtered through the eyes of the Black Messiah's supporters. The Mikado (1939)--Sumptuous technicolor and fun cast. La Haine-- brutal, sad, wonderfully filmed, Would You Rather --fun survival story with the wonderful Jeffrey Combs and some other great supporting actors.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
My wife chose the first movie we watched last night, Seems Like Old Times, with Chevy Chase. We've seen it many times and like it. I chose the second movie, RED, with Bruce Willis and Malkovich. I had seen it before, she hadn't. I thought she'd hate it, but she liked it. Maybe if I can find RED 2, I can talk her into watching that one tonight.
Jolly mayhem, those REDS, especially thanks to Helen ("I kill people, dear") Mirren.

Jolly mayhem, those REDS, especially thanks to Helen ("I kill people, dear") Mirren./QUOTE]

Willis was his usual Willis and Malkovich was as insane as usual. While Mirren was less refined and out of character, we thought Mary Louise Parker made the movie. We had never seen Weeds, so she was an unknown to us and we thought she balanced out the insanity.

proxy.php
That’s odd.

Time-traveled back to my childhood today, watching the blu-ray of THE BLACK SCORPION (1957). I was probably 10 or 11 when I saw it in a theater when it came out. I always went to horror movies by myself as a kid in the 50s, and this was the scariest movie I remember seeing. The blu-ray of Black Scorpion looks great on a 65" tv. It's a shame that too many blu-rays of old b&w horror films are satisfied with just blowing up the image and chopping off the heads (THEM!). I'm glad I kept my old dvds of 50s horror. I still prefer watching my 1933 King Kong Collector's Steel Book DVD, to the newer, lame-o blu-ray.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
"Jade" (1995). Much better than I remember it having been back when it was released theatrically. Still, not the best of William Friedkin's work, as it lacks his, well, electricity.

At its time of release, "Jade" was probably the victim of uber-hype, as I believe screenwriter Joe Eszterhas, fresh from the success of "Basic Instinct," was said to have sold the script for a cool million. The whole project was thus ripe for some major schadenfreude.

Smoky-voiced Linda Fiorentino was at her seductive best as the did-she-or-didn't she murder suspect; Chazz Palmantieri chewed up every scene he was in to good effect. They both overshadowed David Caruso, who, as CSI Miami demonstrated, is at his best in television. (Marshal McLuhan would probably have termed him too cool for motion pictures, but perfect for a cool medium like TV.)

Was it worth watching? I think so. In fact, I plan to watch it again, which is my habit with mysteries. Plus I get to watch Linda Fiorentino again.

I made the mistake of reading the news online today, and needed a movie to cheer me up. I decided on my blu-ray of ON THE BEACH (1959). To heck with the vaccine, I want one of those pills from the movie.

Deadline USA (1957). Watching one of my favorite Bogart movies on a very old blurry, bootleg cd, thinking it's time I finally upgraded to the official blu-ray. Great movie from a time long ago when reporters and editors didn't sell their souls for a story. I imagine not many people today will be interested in watching this movie.

Last edited:
Deadline USA (1957). Watching one of my favorite Bogart movies on a very old blurry, bootleg cd, thinking it's time I finally upgraded to the official blu-ray. Great movie from a time long ago when reporters and editors didn't sell their souls for a story. I imagine not many people today will be interested in watching this movie.
lots of great newspaper movies! One of my favorites is Five Star Final with Eddie G. (and a great support from Karloff).

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
lots of great newspaper movies! One of my favorites is Five Star Final with Eddie G. (and a great support from Karloff).
Then there's always "The Front Page," and its reincarnation as "His Girl Friday." Old newspaper hands, screenwriters MacArthur and Hecht were masters at reselling the same story over and over again. (They even peddled the same tale and called it "Gunga Din," with no apologies to Rudyard Kipling.)

Top Bottom