What's new

Shout out for sustainability!!

One of the things I really love about this hobby is how environmentally friendly it can be. It’s one of the reasons I dropped plastic cartridge razors in the first place. That, and to save some money, which seems a bit laughable now!🤣
I had no idea at the time just how enjoyable a switch it would be. I kind of zen out on my shaving now. I love the ceremony and preparation of it. Being mindful of the the scents of the soaps and splashes, and the feel of the brush and razor. I put on a good record and really appreciate every moment of it. And, I still love how environmentally friendly it is. It’s great how many products can be purchased without plastic packaging. I know I’m not the only one who appreciates this aspect of the hobby. So I wanted to send a little shout out for sustainability!! I bought this soap because it came in a tin and there was a great Earth Day blog post on Long Rifle’s website (check it out). Just wanted to highlight another great aspect of our hobby. Shave Long and Prosper everybody!! 💈🖖🏼
C0BB2D87-FF4D-48FD-B7AE-7ED272D0EE69.jpeg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The aspect of using vintage razors adds to the non-disposable lifestyle I try to maintain. I relish my moment of using an old razor someone else bought new in the 1940s.

I will buy a refill puck wrapped in paper over one in a plastic tub. But I'm just one guy, my head spins when I see what the current pandemic is creating as far as plastic waste.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
It’s not that I want to behave in an ecosystem-friendly/biome-compatible manner. It’s just that shipping costs for a soap made from the tallow of four extinct species of animal and the maintenance costs for stropping a straight razor on the tummy of a manatee or dugong are too rich for my blood.

It’s not that I want to behave in an ecosystem-friendly/biome-compatible manner. It’s just that shipping costs for a soap made from the tallow of four extinct species of animal and the maintenance costs for stropping a straight razor on the tummy of a manatee or dugong are too rich for my blood.

do tell, where can i find the manatee tummy strop??
sounds like it would deliver a 'swimmingly' fine edge for the mammoth tusk razor!!

dovo mammut razor.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
do tell, where can i find the manatee tummy strop??

Shoreline of Florida. The expensive parts would be the large-enough indoor pool and its massage table. Also, full-hollow and extra-hollow razors are a must as they limit the amount of steel directly touching the tummy. There’s no way to escape it being a full-blown evil action, but less cold steel equals less shivers.

sounds like it would deliver a 'swimmingly' fine edge for the mammoth tusk razor!!

I’ve heard that, before the majority of fossilized mammoth bark ivory was found in Siberia, it used to be extracted for La Brea in Los Angeles. In its heyday, a nearby bistro served a version of Crêpes Suzette that was flavored with a mixture of cognac and molasses instead of the more commonly chosen Gran Marnier liqueur. The result of the substitution was a very dark color and rich flavor.

People used to have breakfast in the bistro before embarking on sightseeing and many people blushedly agreed the Tar Pit matched the crêpes.

I ride a 2 stroke snowmobile.......I race 2 stroke go karts.....I drive a dinosaur burning truck......I'm trying to increase my carbon footprint, not make it smaller.

Anyone claiming that they are "saving" the environment wet shaving are just trying to rationalize the decisions to spend gobs of money on what is essentially a hobby.

Last edited:
I ride a 2 stroke snowmobile.......I race 2 stroke go karts.....I drive a dinosaur burning truck......I'm trying to increase my carbon footprint, not make it smaller.

Anyone claiming that they are "saving" the environment wet shaving are just trying to rationalize the decisions to spend gobs of money on what is essentially a hobby.

Both of my cars get over 42 mpg, and the motorcycle is a four-stroke. I can't save the planet, but I do what I can. I don't speak for everyone...recommend considering adopting that stance.

Top Bottom