What's new

shaving mugs/scuttle recommendations

It would work fine, but it would work better if there were ribs and/or protrusions in the inner bowl. That gives the brush something to beat against to help make the lather. You could glue some coins in the bottom to give it that rough texture.

The other thing I’m not a fan of is it’s two pieces. I can see myself breaking it because I’m klutzy like that. I want a one piece scuttle with a handle on it.
yea kinda seems a bit inconvenient

My recommendation is to buy one made from a material that won't shatter when you drop it. I like metal. Though I have a wooden bowl as well.

It's not the fall that makes ceramic shatter. It's the sudden stop at the end..

My recommendation is to buy one made from a material that won't shatter when you drop it. I like metal. Though I have a wooden bowl as well.

It's not the fall that makes ceramic shatter. It's the sudden stop at the end..
Got any pics of yours?

1. lightweight
2. unbreakable
3. easy to hold in the hand while lathering
4. whatchamacallits on bottom for whipping cream
5. one piece, easy to clean and store
Hmm I'll consider it, really considering the qshave scuttle on Amazon not bad for 22 odd quid, just don't like the qshave logo but very similar to what @TexOkie Shaver has @TexOkie Shaver how long you had that scuttle?

Paa makes an affordable unbreakable travel scuttle works nice not so pretty to look at somehow it does not get much work.
For travel I prefer a foldable silicone pet bowl with a bit rough surface (you can also get them from stirling with extra nobs for even more aggitation)

My preferred bowl is a 2lb heavy stone mortar. It’s inner circles and texture make it a fast lather machine. But do not drop it might break the tiles.

Had some van yulay bowls unbreakable but disappointing performance.

In general if the surface is a bit rougher or textured it will lather faster.
A bigger bowl is easier
A deeper one means long stem brush needed
Some love hot or real cold lather a scuttle helps
But leaving your heavy bowl on the central heating or under hot water helps to store that heat.
Problem with hot bowl is holding it in Your hand. The paa is plastic and that helps.

I'd like to chime in with the Timeless Razor shaving bowl. Sells for about 15 bucks, and the way the grooves are shaped, it can whip up a lather from just about anything, even certain creams which are not particularly prone to lathering all that well. And it's quite sturdy. I am happy with it. Of course, I also must mention the two antique scuttles I have, styled like the one in the OP's video, but those I just use to keep my brush and razor warm, as they require a puck on top to function as designed. Those you can pick up on the bay a dime a dozen. With all sorts of cool logos and designs.

W
Paa makes an affordable unbreakable travel scuttle works nice not so pretty to look at somehow it does not get much work.
For travel I prefer a foldable silicone pet bowl with a bit rough surface (you can also get them from stirling with extra nobs for even more aggitation)

My preferred bowl is a 2lb heavy stone mortar. It’s inner circles and texture make it a fast lather machine. But do not drop it might break the tiles.

Had some van yulay bowls unbreakable but disappointing performance.

In general if the surface is a bit rougher or textured it will lather faster.
A bigger bowl is easier
A deeper one means long stem brush needed
Some love hot or real cold lather a scuttle helps
But leaving your heavy bowl on the central heating or under hot water helps to store that heat.
Problem with hot bowl is holding it in Your hand. The paa is plastic and that helps.
Hats paa stand for?

I'd like to chime in with the Timeless Razor shaving bowl. Sells for about 15 bucks, and the way the grooves are shaped, it can whip up a lather from just about anything, even certain creams which are not particularly prone to lathering all that well. And it's quite sturdy. I am happy with it. Of course, I also must mention the two antique scuttles I have, styled like the one in the OP's video, but those I just use to keep my brush and razor warm, as they require a puck on top to function as designed. Those you can pick up on the bay a dime a dozen. With all sorts of cool logos and designs.

Cool will check it out thanks

My suggestion...
An actual scuttle. Designed and made for making lather and keeping it warm.
PXL_20201207_005414617.jpg

Been using it daily for about 8 years. Only one little chip in it. Found it on Etsy and the lady that made it is still selling them there.

I found that immersing it in a sink of hot water to prep before filling the lower bowl with fresh hot water really helps with the heat retention.

so i'm watching this video by geofatboy on youtube (i've learnt a lot on his vids i like them)

another noob question, so do you essentially need to use a shaving soap/puke with the scuttles? because he puts it on the top of the scuttle

I've used a scuttle like this and it works okay. The water must be hotter than the other types. With this type of scuttle the steam rising through the holes warms the lather. With the other type, the water warms the bowl which in turn warms the lather. When I use the old fashioned scuttle, I use an electric kettle to heat some water. I add warm water and then a bit of hot to reach the right temperature. With the bowl type, I can use hot water from the tap. Keep in mind I have small children and have my water heater turned down a bit.

Reactions: saj
Top Bottom