What's new

shaving mugs/scuttle recommendations

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Over the years I have usually just used an old coffee mug. I also have an old Williams mug in fake pewter from the 70s and a mug from my alma mater. You want to look for a mug that's wide at the top, if possible.

WMS mug.jpgBC mug.jpg

If you want to get a Scuttle, then any of the above suggestions will yield you great results.
As for mugs, Proraso, Timeless are all unbreakable, single piece and easy to work with and clean/ store.

If you really enjoy a bigger shaving bowl then you ought to look at Pereira Shaving Bowl for about $35 without discount, so in the current festive season you'll be able to get it at about $25 - 28 or even less, IDK.

It has very nice interior ridges and swirls to help make great lather.

I've ordered the same from WCS and by the reviews and videos, it'll last me a long time.

I've used a scuttle like this and it works okay. The water must be hotter than the other types. With this type of scuttle the steam rising through the holes warms the lather. With the other type, the water warms the bowl which in turn warms the lather. When I use the old fashioned scuttle, I use an electric kettle to heat some water. I add warm water and then a bit of hot to reach the right temperature. With the bowl type, I can use hot water from the tap. Keep in mind I have small children and have my water heater turned down a bit.

thanks for sharing your experience

If you want to get a Scuttle, then any of the above suggestions will yield you great results.
As for mugs, Proraso, Timeless are all unbreakable, single piece and easy to work with and clean/ store.

If you really enjoy a bigger shaving bowl then you ought to look at Pereira Shaving Bowl for about $35 without discount, so in the current festive season you'll be able to get it at about $25 - 28 or even less, IDK.

It has very nice interior ridges and swirls to help make great lather.

I've ordered the same from WCS and by the reviews and videos, it'll last me a long time.
think im going for a scuttle tbh

think im going for a scuttle tbh

If you're in the United States then a whole wide world of options are open to you for scuttles.

Other than the above mentioned artisans scuttle, you can definitely check out the etsy stores for some really beautiful and functional scuttles. Some potters take custom orders as well.

It's better to get a better tool in the beginning and enjoy. Good luck and do share with us whatever you get.

Reactions: saj
If you're in the United States then a whole wide world of options are open to you for scuttles.

Other than the above mentioned artisans scuttle, you can definitely check out the etsy stores for some really beautiful and functional scuttles. Some potters take custom orders as well.

It's better to get a better tool in the beginning and enjoy. Good luck and do share with us whatever you get.
never used etsy but heard of the name, is it like ebay where you bid and have buy it now prices or like amazon where you have fixed prices? thanks

never used etsy but heard of the name, is it like ebay where you bid and have buy it now prices or like amazon where you have fixed prices? thanks
Some items are bid, but I checked mostly fixed prices potters.
Just search for shaving scuttle and look for some really good reviews and interior patterns to aid lathering.
I found the good ones in the price range of $ 25-55 as reasonable.
Maybe you might find something that suits you.

Edit: There are one piece scuttle and two piece scuttle as well, check before you finalize. Both have their own benefits.

Some items are bid, but I checked mostly fixed prices potters.
Just search for shaving scuttle and look for some really good reviews and interior patterns to aid lathering.
I found the good ones in the price range of $ 25-55 as reasonable.
Maybe you might find something that suits you.

Edit: There are one piece scuttle and two piece scuttle as well, check before you finalize. Both have their own benefits.
thanks, whats the benefit of the two piece ones?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Over the years I have usually just used an old coffee mug. I also have an old Williams mug in fake pewter from the 70s and a mug from my alma mater. You want to look for a mug that's wide at the top, if possible.

View attachment 1191707View attachment 1191710

What do you want to do with the shaving mug or scuttle?

GreenMug.640.JPG

Rubber Mug (maybe made by Mavy)

I use it to soak my brush while I'm in the shower. Great mug.​

Copper.Rubber.Mugs.Beach.2018.640.JPG

The copper mug, from eBay, is used to dip my brush tips when I need to add water to the lather.​
10-27-20.PAA.Brush&Warmer.FullSide.640.JPG

This inexpensive PAA ceramic brush warmer is perfect for brush warming.

It's been used most days since I got it.

I like that it's a lot taller than the Moss scuttles, but they are prettier and "nicer."​
Moss.Scuttles.Two.Large.Small.640.10-25-19.JPG

Either Moss Scuttle will work well as a brush warmer for even the largest brush, but the small one is better for that job.

Both can be used to build lather, too.​
Dirty Bird 1.5 Scuttle.480..png

Dirty Bird 1.5

For building lather it's a champ.

Is better as a brush warmer than I'd expect, but not as good as the Moss or the PAA.

I never use it as I only face lather.

This thing is very large.​

Perhaps what you're looking for is something not one of these, but my guess is one of these might click with you. Really depends on what you want it to do.

Happy shaves,

Jim

What do you want to do with the shaving mug or scuttle?

View attachment 1191803
Rubber Mug (maybe made by Mavy)

I use it to soak my brush while I'm in the shower. Great mug.​

View attachment 1191804
The copper mug, from eBay, is used to dip my brush tips when I need to add water to the lather.​
View attachment 1191807
This inexpensive PAA ceramic brush warmer is perfect for brush warming.

It's been used most days since I got it.

I like that it's a lot taller than the Moss scuttles, but they are prettier and "nicer."​
View attachment 1191813
Either Moss Scuttle will work well as a brush warmer for even the largest brush, but the small one is better for that job.

Both can be used to build lather, too.​
View attachment 1191809
Dirty Bird 1.5

For building lather it's a champ.

Is better as a brush warmer than I'd expect, but not as good as the Moss or the PAA.

I never use it as I only face lather.

This thing is very large.​

Perhaps what you're looking for is something not one of these, but my guess is one of these might click with you. Really depends on what you want it to do.

Happy shaves,

Jim
hey jim thanks for your extensive post, its food for thought, appreciate it

also because its going to be my sfirst scuttle i dont want to spend too much because there could be a chance i dont like it but i think chances are slim that i wont like it due to me enjoying warm lather

thanks, whats the benefit of the two piece ones?
By my understanding :
1 piece scuttle benefits -
1) Aesthetic/ looks and skill of craftsman is displayed
2) It is made for the only purpose of being a scuttle so details will be kept in mind of keeping the lather warm and aiding the lather.
3) Since one piece, so either you'll have a scuttle or you won't (if it falls and breaks)
4) You'll not misplace a piece (top plate/ bowl) by you or any family members.

2 pice scuttle benefits :

1) It is somewhat easier to make, so prices are less
2) If you find that top plate/ bowl is damaged, you can source the replacement from the Potter, or locally
3) It is easier to clean (internally) if you are concerned about it
4) Since the top bowl is not attached you can make the lather while keeping the bowl in hand and then placing the bowl (detachable) on the lower base. This will reduce the hand fatigue and lower risk of breaking the scuttle.

These are the differences that come to mind, generally shaving takes less than half an hour if we take our sweet time, any good scuttle will be able to keep the lather hot/ warm for the duration.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
l like BigJ's suggestion to try out a few cereal bowls from the kitchen to see what size you like.

I am very happy with a Georgetown Pottery G-12. It's small enough to comfortably hold in my left hand while I build lather. They have some beautiful colors.

By my understanding :
1 piece scuttle benefits -
1) Aesthetic/ looks and skill of craftsman is displayed
2) It is made for the only purpose of being a scuttle so details will be kept in mind of keeping the lather warm and aiding the lather.
3) Since one piece, so either you'll have a scuttle or you won't (if it falls and breaks)
4) You'll not misplace a piece (top plate/ bowl) by you or any family members.

2 pice scuttle benefits :

1) It is somewhat easier to make, so prices are less
2) If you find that top plate/ bowl is damaged, you can source the replacement from the Potter, or locally
3) It is easier to clean (internally) if you are concerned about it
4) Since the top bowl is not attached you can make the lather while keeping the bowl in hand and then placing the bowl (detachable) on the lower base. This will reduce the hand fatigue and lower risk of breaking the scuttle.

These are the differences that come to mind, generally shaving takes less than half an hour if we take our sweet time, any good scuttle will be able to keep the lather hot/ warm for the duration.
yea that makes sense, thanks for sharing the info...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
hey jim thanks for your extensive post, its food for thought, appreciate it

also because its going to be my sfirst scuttle i dont want to spend too much because there could be a chance i dont like it but i think chances are slim that i wont like it due to me enjoying warm lather

You have to first determine what you want it to do.

Top Bottom