What's new

Shaving mug brush

Can someone please recommend the perfect brush to use with a shaving mug? Looking for one that has the tall or long handle as I wish to avoid the "klink" again the side of the mug. I know i came across a website at one point that was doing remakes of retro designs and a lot were long handles but I can't find that website anywhere. Now that I have a mug I need a great brush.

For me it would be easier to find a small bowl or another mug with a wider mouth to avoid the banging with the brush. I haven't seen any brushes myself of your desired dimensions, but good luck!

There's lots of them with long handles, are you looking for a boar, badger, horse, synthetic? How large a knot? Are you face lathering? What's your budget so we can stay under that. Thanks.

Good suggestions thus far. I can only think of 2 more that might be effective:

1. Refine your technique so as to minimize or eliminate the klink.

2. Get over it. The klink is part of the process.

RR 400, also Yaqi makes some barber style handles. If you can find a Vielong barber style handle, they are slimmer and the synthetic knot is very nice. They're no longer making brushes but some vendors probably still have them.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Barberstyle handles work for deep mugs the best, like this one here:
IMG_0136.jpg

Maybe you’re thinking of Heritage Collection Shaving?
As mentioned the RazoRock 400 is a nice inexpensive remake of the Rubberset 400. Or commission @Rudy Vey for a brush you can have some input on and most likely really love. There’s options.

To add to my earlier post, the metal version of the RR 400 will definitely clink. Another option, depending on budget and knot preference, is the Simpson Emperor. I have #3 which is the largest size. It's pretty perfect for my mug.
20240203_092835.jpg
20240203_092912.jpg

Sorry, should've mentioned what i was lookingfor knot and price wise.. Definitely synthetic and around 24mm or a bit smaller just loading the brush and then face lather. As far as price nothing super expensive, just on par with what most synthetics cost. Yes @Rudy Vey barber style is what im looking for! I will look at what's been mentioned so far. Thanks for the recommendations guys!

One of the smaller synthetic knots in this style handle I've seen is the Yaqi Cola which I think is available at West Coast Shaving for around $15. It's a 22mm knot so a bit smaller than average these days. Nice shape and style.

1706979892745.png

I stopped using my Old Spice mug for a long time because of the "klink". I've decided to force myself to use the mug for the month of February in the hope of teaching this old dog a new trick.
:cool:

One technique that works for me is to swirl the brush while trying to keep the handle toward the center of the mug during the loading process. Another is to grip the brush closer to the bristles so that my finger tips act as "bumpers" preventing the handle from coming into contact with the side of the mug.

Good luck 👍

These are my two longer handle brushes that I bought with the idea of lathering in the Proraso tall cup. And nine cope perfectly with the task.

Have your fingers more towards the base of the knot so your fingers bump into the sides instead of the brush. Unless you're a cyborg your fingers shouldn't clank.

Reactions: bjm
I hand load, meaning I pull the puck out of the mug and hold it in my hand while loading. So no clink which I also find annoying. Then I put the puck back in the mug and build the lather on my hand as well. I only use the mug to get the puck & brush wet and then store the puck between shaves. I find loading on my hand allows me to use all of the puck and easily flip it to load from both sides of the puck. I will say I am a total newb at this wet shaving, so YMMV.

Top Bottom