What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Pre-shave: Hot towel, Proraso Sensitive skin
Brush: Simpson’s Chubby 2 Super
Blade: Polsilver
Razor: EJ 3one6 with knurled handle
Soap: Martin de Candre Argume
Post-shave: Proraso Sensitive skin, Jack Black Cooling Gel, Nivea Sensitive skin

Great Shave. 9.5/10
This is my favorite pairing, using any MDC soap

Razor: Above The Tie (ATT): M1
Blade: Kai Stainless Steel (3)
Brush: Spiffo - D'rargo (Manchurian Two-Band SHD) Fan
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub, Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Zingari Man - The Duo (BBS Live)
Aftershave: Zingari Man - The Duo (BBS Live)
BC9C99A4-34FE-4F6C-AB32-F9125E199C6C.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.9/10
Like a day at the Spa
Sometimes I like to to take a break from experimental blades and wayback machine razors for a little while and just have a few TLC “face spa” shaves.

The ATT and Kai combo gave me an ultra smooth and comfortable shave on my last outing, so I went with it again this morning. Along with my newly arrived duo of “The Duo”, I was in good hands for a spa shave.

Since I was in no rush, I sat in a chair and took my time bring the lather to creamy perfection. The soap is scented lightly, while the AS is more prominent. Although it doesn’t blast out at you, the scent seem to stay with me for a long time. I did splash some on my face when it arrived yesterday, and I was getting whiffs and hints all day long. I love the scent. My personal description would be...HeV Cognac & Cuban Cigars crossed with TOBS Sandalwood luxury gel AS. Anyway...it works out deliciously.

Nicely shaved, freshly dressed...I think I’ll brew up a nice pot of Mexican Chiapas coffee and read about how all of your shaves went today.

Last edited:
Pre Shave: Warm shower, Glycerin Face Wash, Crown Pre Shave Gel
Razor: Brass Karve SB C Plate
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: West Coast Shaving Beacon Silvertip
Soap: Stirling Sheep
Post Shave: Stypic PencilCold water rinse, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Stirling Executive Man EDT
Rating: 9.50/10 Excellent two pass BBS shave, minimal buffing on chin. Three weepers, minor irritation on chin and jaw line and no cuts. Contribute weepers to using new blade, or at least I think that's the cause. Very efficient shave, but not sure I like the irritation, might be going back to Personna Israeli Reds, time will tell.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Pre: hot water
Lather: TOBS sandalwood soap and Kent BK 4...10 seconds worth
Shave: Feather (6) in AS-D2, three easy passes
Shower
Aftershave Mennen Skin Bracer

Didn't feel like pursuing BBS but still got darned close. The angle of the AS-D2 does a better job under my jaw than other razors I have used. I am also very much impressed how much better the Feather blade is holding up than it did in the EJ DE89. 9.5/10

B&B has infected me. I am looking forward to a new soap coming from WCS.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Tue, Nov17th,2020

Razor: Razorock Game changer .84 - Mfg 2018>, excellent Stainless steel razor.
Blade: Kai SS (5) excellent blade Sharp & smooth, Wider than a standard blade by .009".
Soap: Proraso red sandal wood- great lather qualities with a mild scent of Sandalwood!
Brush: Yaqi Timber wolf whiskers 24 mm knot- Excellent brush with cloud like soft tips.Very affordable with excellent quality.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on my cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Proraso red Sandle wood with witch hazel+ a dollop Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:Excellent shave with my RR GC .84 & combo with Kai SS DE blade.

DE SOTD, Nov 17th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

_20201117_153607.JPG
9.8/10,first use of new Yaqi brush, lost about 5 hairs, but a nice brush, I'm not one for recommending to people what they should use, but if you haven't tried any of the St James of London creams, you should, I've yet to try a better cream, one little pea sized amount and the bowl is full of a creamy lather, and my closest bbs shaves have all been whilst using a St James's cream,try it you wont be disappointed, used the brand new feather AS D2 today for first time with one of the feather blades that came with it, what a wonderful razor,I'm really getting right into this wet shaving now, i actually look forward to choosing my stuff at night for the next day,it's greeaaattttt🐯😁👍🏼
DSC_0133.JPG

Best shave of my life

Decided to 3017 something because since I started wet shaving I never finished a soap. I pressed a Martin de Candre sample I received in a lot I bought from another member. He said I should be fine for 10-15 shaves but I already have 4 and I think it might good for 30-40 shaves. Decided after few swirls in the bowl that I could try face lathering for the 2nd time. ( First attempt was a disaster with a cream ). Took my favorite brush and just did what I thought. Did a good lather, not thick but was covering stubbles correctly. The Bic chrome platinum on second shave was impressively smooth. Might become my favorite blade if I can do a third good shave with it. The Feather I used recently was perfect on first shave ( but not very smooth ) and became just normal on 2nd and 3rd shave. Effortless BBS. Will keep using this soap until it's finished.
Razor : FOCS
Blade : Bic chrome platinum (2)
Brush : DS cosmetic silvertip 2 band
Soap : Martin de Candre agrumes
Thayers witch Hazel
AS : Pinaud clubman Virgin island bay rum

11/10

Stay safe and be well.

IMG_20201117_101944.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
N.O.vember 2020 #8
20201117_073009~2.jpg

Razor: Simplex Military
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Bishop (24mm synthetic)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Noble Otter Flying Hide (sample)
Post-shave care: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Epsilon Scottish Spirit
Fragrance: Original Penguin

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The Simplex Military looks similar to the Wardonia Rugby, except that the Simplex takes standard DE blades without any modification.

In use, the Simplex is milder, but still effective. The shaving angle is similar to a Tech. Use the optimal shaving angle and get very nice results.

Nice shave! :cool:

20200803_074331.jpg

Razor: Rex Supply Ambassador
Blade: Gillette Rubie Plus
Brush: Frank Shaving G4 Synthetic striped handle
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Long Rifle Brown Bess
Aftershave: Pinaud Virgin Islands Bay Rum
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating Ten

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
N.O.vember 2020 #8
View attachment 1183421
Razor: Simplex Military
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Bishop (24mm synthetic)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Noble Otter Flying Hide (sample)
Post-shave care: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Epsilon Scottish Spirit
Fragrance: Original Penguin

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The Simplex Military looks similar to the Wardonia Rugby, except that the Simplex takes standard DE blades without any modification.

In use, the Simplex is milder, but still effective. The shaving angle is similar to a Tech. Use the optimal shaving angle and get very nice results.

Nice shave! :cool:

Scottish Spirit?!!! What's that cool stuff like? Thanks in advance for a description.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Prep: hot towel and Edge gel
Blade: Personna Lab Blue #2 (thanks @stoof2010)
Razor: Muhle R41
Brush: Muhle black fiber v2
Soap: L&W bay rum
Aftershave: Omega alum stick, L&W bay rum

The hardware and software I used today were chosen randomly in the shave roulette game:

3 pass: lukewarm WTG, XTG, ATG. And an extra cleanup pass ATG on my jawline. Went ATG on mustache area.

I think the L&W bay rum "bay rum" scent is fading, meaning it's starting to smell more and more like play-doh. The slickness and cushion is just OK. I can't seem to make awesome lather with it (probably my lack of experience).

The Lab Blue is an awesome blade. R41 + PLB is a winning combination. Achieved a very close and smooth shave. No tugging.

I forgot to use witch hazel after my shave today and I can really tell a difference. It definitely gives a soothing and good feeling to my skin (when I actually use it).

A few little weepers from going mustache AGT and a nick on my neck. I didn't notice the nick right away. I was trying to adjust my angle for the area above my Adam's apple and I think the R41 comb might have bit me (I'm pretty sure it wasn't the blade). Alum's revenge was weak today, very little burn.

👍

Prep: hot towel and Edge gel
Blade: Personna Lab Blue #2 (thanks @stoof2010)
Razor: Muhle R41
Brush: Muhle black fiber v2
Soap: L&W bay rum
Aftershave: Omega alum stick, L&W bay rum

The hardware and software I used today were chosen randomly in the shave roulette game:

3 pass: lukewarm WTG, XTG, ATG. And an extra cleanup pass ATG on my jawline. Went ATG on mustache area.

I think the L&W bay rum "bay rum" scent is fading, meaning it's starting to smell more and more like play-doh. The slickness and cushion is just OK. I can't seem to make awesome lather with it (probably my lack of experience).

The Lab Blue is an awesome blade. R41 + PLB is a winning combination. Achieved a very close and smooth shave. No tugging.

I forgot to use witch hazel after my shave today and I can really tell a difference. It definately gives a soothing and good feeling to my skin (when I actually use it).

A few little weepers from going mustache AGT and a nick on my neck. I didn't notice the nick right away. I was trying to adjust my angle for the area above my Adam's apple and I think the R41 comb might have bit me (I'm pretty sure it wasn't the blade). Alum's revenge was weak today, very little burn.

No nicks: 4.5
No irritation: 4.8
Closeness: 4.8
Smoothness: 4.8

9.4/10
Considering that the R41 is an agressive razor, how would you rate the agressiveness of the Lab Blue on 1 to 10?

Eben Stone

Staff member
Considering that the R41 is an agressive razor, how would you rate the agressiveness of the Lab Blue on 1 to 10?

I'm not sure how to rate it 1-10. I interpret a blades aggressiveness as blade feel. Is that what your interested in? Or lack of tugginess? All blades feel the same to me (in terms of blade feel) in the R41. Tugginess is an entire different story.

I'm not sure how to rate it 1-10. I interpret a blades aggressiveness as blade feel. Is that what your interested in? Or lack of tugginess? All blades feel the same to me (in terms of blade feel) in the R41. Tugginess is an entire different story.
I would do 3 catégories: 1 : Smooth : Sharp but you dont have to worry about cuts. ( Astra sp ) 2nd very sharp, gotta be careful but good results ( Feathers ), 3rd : doesnt cut ( to me that would be derby extra in a mild razor)

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Tuesday morning shave

Razor: Ontario Cutlery Co.
Brush: Boar
Soap: Geo. F. Trumper

A stellar shave this fine stormy morning. Another storm cycle blowing through. Very much like the GFT cream, a hard soap would be of interest. Happy Tuesday!

B4FFC512-1EB3-47BC-8613-E69C8B26B81F.jpeg

9/10

Top Bottom