What's new

An afternoon at the Tobacconist

Had a chance to head into downtown and spend some time at the tobacconist. In search of my first pipe, there was a fairly limited selection of Brighams, Medicos, Big Ben’s, et al.

Nothing really spoke to me, but the rep advised there’s a “large” shipment due in next week. I left my name and number and plan on re-visiting. I had a chance to sniff some of the tabacco offerings from Pimlico (Vanilla) aromatic, Very Very (think Cherry chapstick) and even some Virginia blends (Not for me.)

As I was leaving, something caught my eye. It was the Cobs. Not even the regular straight or bent Cobs... but this little bugger. I couldn’t resist. $6.00 Cdn. That’s like.. what? $0.50 USD? I brought it home with me. My first pipe. Now to get the stones to put some tobacco in it.

Attachments

• E7FB7762-5F6B-44B7-BB49-546F2C170803.jpeg
    E7FB7762-5F6B-44B7-BB49-546F2C170803.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Had a chance to head into downtown and spend some time at the tobacconist. In search of my first pipe, there was a fairly limited selection of Brighams, Medicos, Big Ben’s, et al.

Nothing really spoke to me, but the rep advised there’s a “large” shipment due in next week. I left my name and number and plan on re-visiting. I had a chance to sniff some of the tabacco offerings from Pimlico (Vanilla) aromatic, Very Very (think Cherry chapstick) and even some Virginia blends (Not for me.)

As I was leaving, something caught my eye. It was the Cobs. Not even the regular straight or bent Cobs... but this little bugger. I couldn’t resist. $6.00 Cdn. That’s like.. what? $0.50 USD? I brought it home with me. My first pipe. Now to get the stones to put some tobacco in it.
That is AWESOME! My dad had one of those he kept in his pants pocket as I remember. Enjoy!

That is AWESOME! My dad had one of those he kept in his pants pocket as I remember. Enjoy!

I’ll try my best. I can’t get over how tiny this is.

Attachments

• D0CA1FF4-327D-4EAC-B262-4EFAC86897D5.jpeg
    D0CA1FF4-327D-4EAC-B262-4EFAC86897D5.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 2CC1E71F-7E64-43A3-8293-5038FB0FE0BF.jpeg
    2CC1E71F-7E64-43A3-8293-5038FB0FE0BF.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 8

FarmerTan

You will be surprised at how cheap pipe smoking can be. Lol, I guess you can also be surprised at how expensive it can be.

I always liked the convenience of taking a couple puffs on a small pipe as compared to a few puffs off a cigarette and wasting the money of that cigarette by putting it in the ashtray as I walked in a store, versus sticking that pipe in a pocket.

I really hope that pipe works out well for you friend!

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
That would be neat to have a few of those small cobs for tobacco sampling. You could try a dozen tobaccos in a single evening. I've never seen those around here before.
Clay pipes are about as inexpensive and serve that purpose very well.

FarmerTan

Ok, I don't want to break any rules on here, so I will ask a general question: that is truly an affordable option? I smoked pipes years ago, was actually in a contest once (56 minutes, some seconds) and have never seen one of those. Were they around 40 years ago?
I meant to also say "thank you my friend!"

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Ok, I don't want to break any rules on here, so I will ask a general question: that is truly an affordable option? I smoked pipes years ago, was actually in a contest once (56 minutes, some seconds) and have never seen one of those. Were they around 40 years ago?
clay tavern pipes are hundreds of years old. Long stemmed clays hung on the walls of taverns. Patrons who wanted a smoke just grabbed one, lit up and then broke off the stem where their mouth had been and rehung the pipe for someone else to use. Old tavern sites can often be found with clay bowl graveyards when the last bit of stem had been broken off and the pipe no longer smokable. A clay can run anywhere from $9 - $30 depending on design, length and color. They are useful in sampling because they don't ghost and bowls are generally small. They can burn hot though.

Well I went and did it. Bought my first pipe. I’m not much of a smoker so we’ll see how things go. Nothing overly expensive or special. Just a basic Medico Varsity. I’ll give it a try later on. Picked up some Pimlico Vanilla blend.

Attachments

• 0EBCD094-B783-4C7A-9F03-8C632D8ED126.jpeg
    0EBCD094-B783-4C7A-9F03-8C632D8ED126.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 30E045C7-4050-42FC-96F1-D90CC10FA60F.jpeg
    30E045C7-4050-42FC-96F1-D90CC10FA60F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • BA878302-7085-47AA-9B14-9ED29E0CBC0F.jpeg
    BA878302-7085-47AA-9B14-9ED29E0CBC0F.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 6
Top Bottom