What's new

An afternoon at the Tobacconist

What didn't you like?

I think the aftertaste was probably the biggest factor. I’m actually allergic to tobacco, but it’s a fairly mild allergy. I tried to re-light the pipe about 3 times, which I know is a learning curve. Sitting outside in the wind did not help. I told my wife I was selling it and she replied with a scoff. So, I may have to keep this on a count of my manhood. That or make this an occasional hobby.

I think the aftertaste was probably the biggest factor. I’m actually allergic to tobacco, but it’s a fairly mild allergy. I tried to re-light the pipe about 3 times, which I know is a learning curve. Sitting outside in the wind did not help. I told my wife I was selling it and she replied with a scoff. So, I may have to keep this on a count of my manhood. That or make this an occasional hobby.
It's an art to smoke a pipe. All of us will attest to it. There will be failures and the taste will not what it can be. You're also trying to smoke an aromatic and most aromatics are harder for beginners. Captain Black, Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh or most any drug store blend are easier to light and keep lit.
Captain Black and varieties are aromatic but not heavily cased or topped. Sir Walter Raleigh has an aromatic as well.
Smoking in a brand new pipe can have a different flavor as well.
Trying to learn in the wind makes it even harder. First time I tried to smoke a pipe was on the plains in Eastern South Dakota. It was impossible. I gave up until I moved back to Ohio. I went to a local cigar shop with lots of pipes and pipe smokers. I read advise here. I eventually got it. I still have a rough bowl every now and again but most are better.
We all will suggest giving it another go on a less windy day or someplace inside. Ask us anything on pipe smoking. We will happily gice advise.

clay tavern pipes are hundreds of years old. Long stemmed clays hung on the walls of taverns. Patrons who wanted a smoke just grabbed one, lit up and then broke off the stem where their mouth had been and rehung the pipe for someone else to use. Old tavern sites can often be found with clay bowl graveyards when the last bit of stem had been broken off and the pipe no longer smokable. A clay can run anywhere from $9 - $30 depending on design, length and color. They are useful in sampling because they don't ghost and bowls are generally small. They can burn hot though.

I used to find pieces of those pipes
when I hunted for stone arrowheads in cornfields.
Kaolin is what they were commonly made of.

It's an art to smoke a pipe. All of us will attest to it. There will be failures and the taste will not what it can be. You're also trying to smoke an aromatic and most aromatics are harder for beginners. Captain Black, Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh or most any drug store blend are easier to light and keep lit.
Captain Black and varieties are aromatic but not heavily cased or topped. Sir Walter Raleigh has an aromatic as well.
Smoking in a brand new pipe can have a different flavor as well.
Trying to learn in the wind makes it even harder. First time I tried to smoke a pipe was on the plains in Eastern South Dakota. It was impossible. I gave up until I moved back to Ohio. I went to a local cigar shop with lots of pipes and pipe smokers. I read advise here. I eventually got it. I still have a rough bowl every now and again but most are better.
We all will suggest giving it another go on a less windy day or someplace inside. Ask us anything on pipe smoking. We will happily gice advise.

I hear you. My wife basically called me a wimp for giving up so soon. Perhaps I should ease into a bit slower and try again later.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I hear you. My wife basically called me a wimp for giving up so soon. Perhaps I should ease into a bit slower and try again later.
That's what I would suggest. It isn't something you just do. Seasoned pipe smokers can make it look much easier then it is. There is a learning curve to it and as John mentioned, the conditions weren't exactly great.

Ask questions and we'll help where we can.

I'd suggest trying a few more before deciding its not for you.

I'd also suggest leaving the vanilla alone a bit and picking up a pouch of Amphora Original. There's tricks to smoking aromatics. Amphora I've found to be very forgiving of mistakes. Not to mention it's cheap and widely available in the wild.

I haven’t given up yet. Other thing I have found out is that I think I’d prefer non-bent over bent.. and shorter pipes. (Nose warmers I think they’re called?) I saw Morgan pipes has some new ones out and I love the look of the short poker. Too bad the shipping to Canada is almost as much as the pipe. After conversion from U.S. to Cdn, it’s not worth it.

I haven’t given up yet. Other thing I have found out is that I think I’d prefer non-bent over bent.. and shorter pipes. (Nose warmers I think they’re called?) I saw Morgan pipes has some new ones out and I love the look of the short poker. Too bad the shipping to Canada is almost as much as the pipe. After conversion from U.S. to Cdn, it’s not worth it.
Missouri Meerschaum. Get you a cob. 😁

Top Bottom