What's new

Worst Wet Shaving Product You’ve Ever Bought?

Olivina Bourbon Cedar Shaving Cream, The Prospector Company Burroughs Shave Cream, The Prospector Company Brummell Shave Cream, J.R. Liggetts Shaving Foam, Acca Kappa White Moss Shaving Cream, LBK Soap Company Irish Tweed Whipped Shaving Cream.
Thankfully I only have some of the LBK Irish Tweed left which I only use on occasion to use it up.

Merkur Futur adjustable razor. I returned this one without ever using it. Here is my review on amazon:

The adjustment mechanism relies upon a square post that rises and lowers within a square enclosure. The tolerances here are poor with excessive play. You can even heat the chatter as the post hits the enclosure walls. The result is that the post twists within the enclosure and the blade edges do not sit parallel with the comb. This gives an angled guillotine effect and explains why many users have experienced cuts. At this price point, I would expect the blade to sit perfectly, as it does on old gillette razors. I returned mine right away and bought an old gillette on ebay.

worst wetshaving product i've tried so far is the black handle Rapira razor. it shaves, but its incredibly uncomfortable. too much blade feel, and waaaay too light.

a close second must be Williams mug soap, but im willing to give it a second chance.

My first DE razor I found at TJ MAXX for 5 bucks. It takes a crazy person to stick with a DE after using that thing for the first time. Luckily, Edwin Jagger came to the rescue after dropping it. Otherwise I wouldn't be on the forum.

At the risk of sounding cliche and repeating quite a few similar posts, that 100 derby blade purchase early in my DE journey is by far the worst purchase I've made. I won't even pif them as they are not worth compounding the pain of absorbing shipping costs which would be another punch in the sack. At least it was only an $8 lesson.
To quote the sage phylosopher Curly, "they are the Woist, nyuck nyuck nyuck".

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
This is, by all accounts, a pretty good shavette. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would happily take it off your hands.

I finally got a Feather AC Professional seated well in the clip and was able to get it into the shavette. Used it this morning. Phew!

I bought this Dovo Shavette...and for the life of me...I have no idea what kind of blades it takes. Have tried several different kinds with no success. I finally gave up on it. It is resting comfortably in the bottom of my dresser drawer with it's extra special plastic blade holder clips. If anyone has seen the blade that fits the description of, "Works in this Dovo Shavette" let me know. But until then, I've classified it as a failed purchase. Remember...Dovo spelled backwards is Ovod. That pretty much sums it up for me.

View attachment 1162312

My sister-in-law gave me this shaper/trimmer a couple of years ago - I’ve never tried it, and it’s stayed in my cupboard until I get around to giving it a try.

2427A60A-3B76-4BFD-87DF-03A9E5B0EB2A.jpeg

This picture shows the blades, and they’re single edge, look like they might be the same as yours requires. It’s an ‘AMA‘ product, and is described as a ‘hair shaper‘, I suppose for tidying up the back of the neck or sideburns after a haircut.

Hope it’s of some interest to you!

Al.

JCarr

My sister-in-law gave me this shaper/trimmer a couple of years ago - I’ve never tried it, and it’s stayed in my cupboard until I get around to giving it a try.

View attachment 1164817

This picture shows the blades, and they’re single edge, look like they might be the same as yours requires. It’s an ‘AMA‘ product, and is described as a ‘hair shaper‘, I suppose for tidying up the back of the neck or sideburns after a haircut.

Hope it’s of some interest to you!

Al.

Thanks for your thoughtful post. I did purchase some of those blades for it, Personna 'hair shaper' blades...single edge. They don't seem to fit into any of the blade holder clips for that Dovo shavette. Was kinda hoping the clip could be bypassed and that these 'hair shaper' blades would just slip in all on their own...but no such luck. Perhaps I'm missing a part?

Again, thank you for your post.

Thanks for your thoughtful post. I did purchase some of those blades for it, Personna 'hair shaper' blades...single edge. They don't seem to fit into any of the blade holder clips for that Dovo shavette. Was kinda hoping the clip could be bypassed and that these 'hair shaper' blades would just slip in all on their own...but no such luck. Perhaps I'm missing a part?

On this AMA one, the guard slides off, then the blade is slid in from the end, and the guard replaced, then to remove the blade, the small knurled knob slides along to push it out - but on your Dovo, there doesn’t seem to be a similar arrangement.

92D9111B-E71E-4496-A4D9-B9E80C82C609.jpeg

Wonder if this type would fit?

Al.

On this AMA one, the guard slides off, then the blade is slid in from the end, and the guard replaced, then to remove the blade, the small knurled knob slides along to push it out - but on your Dovo, there doesn’t seem to be a similar arrangement.

View attachment 1164835

Al.
@JCarr
Just saw this:

It links to this:

which looks similar to yours.

JCarr

View attachment 1164835

Al.

That link may be worth a try. I actually purchased a black plastic holder for it and the write-up on those blades mentions they're for black plastic holder. The black plastic holder actually has pins that would fit in the holes on those blades. Hmmmm...

Will look for them in the US, but can always purchase from that vendor.

Thanks!

That link may be worth a try. I actually purchased a black plastic holder for it and the write-up on those blades mentions they're for black plastic holder. The black plastic holder actually has pins that would fit in the holes on those blades. Hmmmm...

Will look for them in the US, but can always purchase from that vendor.

Thanks!
Good hunting! I think they’re in Jacksonville FL, so hope you get fixed up so you can try it out! 😁

They fit in the green inserts, I bought that insert from Atlanta Barber Supply. I'm sure there are other sources as well.

Top Bottom