What's new

Ammo? Sure we have it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I walked into our nearest WalMart yesterday to pick up a case of washer fluid for the fall (made in USA, thank you). Made it through their mess called the auto department, and wandered over to sporting goods for poops and giggles.

There were three boxes of Winchester 20 gauge, and about half a dozen boxes of Remington in odd ball rifle calibers on the shelf, and that was it. Lots of white space. A couple cheap rifles in the display case. And two glum employees complaining about something or other.

Other store sections were similarly cleared out or short-stocked. I don’t go there too often. Looked like a store full of rude, masked zombies, pushing carts to unhappy checkout clerks. Basic conversation and humanity were apparently out of stock there, too.

Got the washer fluid into the truck, and got out the heck out of there. Glad we don’t need ammo.

I get out once a week to WM and then, always wonder, "why was I looking forward to this?'

Post-apocalyptic wierdo world. Clipboard lady carefully notes you coming and going. Mask CO2 headaches me in no time. Nice to have bread again, but.

I've been shooting the last two Fridays and could shoot tomorrow if I wanted - just have to make it up on the Lyman Turret Press ... colder weather and we'll be melting lead again. Found another K of primers. Red Dot shotshell powder working even better than Unique ...

AA

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hey now! Us hoarders have ammo so tread lightly! :lol1: Nah, it's all good and I'm just picking at ya! I did get called a hoarder once when the LGS asked if I wanted any 9mm (2 box limit). I told them I was good at 8K rounds and I didn't need to get into the fray. Guy looks at me and tells me I'm a hoarder. I looked at him and said "<redacted> you! I've been buying since before the panic every Friday when I get paid. Some times it's a case sometimes it's a box. You're a <edited to moron> for waiting until now!" I don't think we'll be friends but whatever. Can I buy more? Yep! Will I? Nope! Gotta make sure the new gun owners can enjoy their guns which leads to a different and terrifying story. My"guy" Tim at the LGS had a woman call in asking which ammo he sold her were the blanks. He told her "Ma'am we don't sell blanks" She responded that wasn't the practice ammo he sold her blanks? The stuff that said FMJ on the box? I REALLY hope she doesn't live near me!
You are NOT a hoarder! Or so am I?

I'm thinking of a guy I worked with the last time there was a shortage. He knew the guy that worked at one of our local WallyWorld store's gun counter. He was told by said fella that a guy came in every day to check on ammo. He told the guy he had 500,000 rounds of .22lr. I saw his classified ads in the Flint Urinal: he was asking $100 for a brick.

I was like you, I bought on payday. So no, we aren't hoarders, I just have limited language skills!

FarmerTan

P.S. I just found 30000 Fed 215M match primers and 20000 WLR-M primers! I bought them ALLLLLL! Serously, I didn't. I grabbed 2000. That gives me enough to burn out my barrel and make it through this drought!
I said this last time, but I do PLAN on getting into reloading when this all passes. If it does, lol!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Which is the indicator that it's time to get off the freeway and seek a different route.

Thus I discovered wondrous restaurants, glorious view, peaceful prospects and a return to sanity.

Trips often turned out to be shorter as well.
So you found a reliable source for ammo? :)

I am a member of an indoor range about 2 miles from my house so I shoot as often as I can. It is usually pretty dead which is fantastic so I can clean up my brass as I am an avid reloader. Saw two guys sorta laughing at me under their breath about 12 or so months ago...yeah, I know, I reload 9mm. Bottom line...part of being self-sufficient is learning and knowing how to do things and to provide for oneself. Now he/they buy(s) a box of 50 for $30 (if they can find it) while I have 10,000 rounds stockpiled all made to a higher quality than factory for ~$.11/round with capacity to build another 5,000 rounds. I smile every time I shoot. 😜

OkieStubble

I am a member of an indoor range about 2 miles from my house so I shoot as often as I can. It is usually pretty dead which is fantastic so I can clean up my brass as I am an avid reloader. Saw two guys sorta laughing at me under their breath about 12 or so months ago...yeah, I know, I reload 9mm. Bottom line...part of being self-sufficient is learning and knowing how to do things and to provide for oneself. Now he/they buy(s) a box of 50 for $30 (if they can find it) while I have 10,000 rounds stockpiled all made to a higher quality than factory for ~$.11/round with capacity to build another 5,000 rounds. I smile every time I shoot. 😜

You are definitely, getting the last laugh now. :)

After reading some of these posts, the following came to mind.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
- Buffalo Springfield

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Paranoia strikes deep
- Buffalo Springfield

... I'm the sheik of Araby ... your love belongs to me
... at night when you're asleep ... into your tent I'll creep
- Leon Redbone

I just could not resist.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I used to try to keep well stocked. I practiced with each gun. Was ready for the fall out or what have ya. Now..... I hunt some. Target shoot VERY little. And the fall out does not concern me. I am in concerned more with a different sort of war these days that guns do not benefit me in. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. This war ain't won in the trenches. That is all I will say about that.

The days are evil...dress accordingly. Ephesians 6.11

OkieStubble

Paranoid of what? Paranoid of not being able to go to the range without being financially raped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point. Paranoia is a hobby of mine. I have fire insurance, life insurance, car insurance, medical insurance? And don’t get me started about my dental insurance?

Should we discuss supplemental insurance? I’ve seriously been considering Aflac? That little duck is just so damn cute. :)

I’m willing to bet that some of these bandits are the same ones hijacking the WalMart trucks coming in, and clearing them out (at WalMart prices) before the inventory ever gets in the store.

Then they go back to their joint, and rip off the poor soul who couldn’t find any at WalMart.

Walmart stopped carrying handgun ammo, aside from .22lr last year.
I miss the days of $9.99 100rnd 9mm value packs.

But I've got a fair bit of a stash in my main calibers.
Wish I had more .38Spl,.357Mag, and .38 Super, but I'm not buying in this economy.
Picked up 2k of 9mm from AIM for regular price just as the stupid was starting.
9MM FMJ will will hurt someone.

Oh, and my dad found a 1200rnd case of IMI M855 in one of his closets. That's now in my stash.

Paranoia strikes deep
- Buffalo Springfield

If you live in a fairly urban area, it's not paranoia. Even smaller towns like Kenosha are seeing a major uptick in radical violence.

Being prepared isn't 'paranoia'.

Others may feel differently. But I wouldn't trust my life to anything other than a LE-grade factory load. The QA is through the roof on the LE-grade cartridges, and the ammunition manufacturers spend a fortune on the technologies involved in design, production and testing to meet the FBI standards.

Yes, it's expensive even during normal times. But you won't be shooting much of it. Most people can get by with just a single box of LE cartridges. If it were me, and I had absolutely nothing on hand, I would buy once and cry once at $1+ a round for it. In this craziness, you will likely need to overpay for it. But again, you won't need much of it.

I understand that finding it is the problem. But why risk your life over pennies on a round?

The Bone Frog guy was selling it a while back at a big markup. Or you can submit to the ammoseek mayhem, and someone will have it for an arm and perhaps a leg.

I remember huge sales on factory LE ammo because it failed QC.
as with anything, be sure of what you are getting. Just because it's marked as LE doesn't mean its top shelf quality.

FarmerTan

Paranoia strikes deep
- Buffalo Springfield
I think maybe this here gent might be referring to all those folks who have bought ammo they didn't need that
drove the shortage we are now in.

At least I hope so! I'm not paranoid! Pretty much everybody IS out to get me!

Top Bottom