What's new

Micromatic Monday

I was thinking of using the Gem Featherweight today. Then the topic of the 1st and 2nd Gen came up so I used both in a 2 pass comparison sharing a 6th use Gem SS PTFE. Then the winner finished up a touch up pass.

The Sterling soaps Almost Heaven lathered very well with my custom SHD 2 Band badger brush.

The 1st Gen FW DELUXE took the right side. The shave was mild and smooth feeling while still having good efficiency.
The 2nd Gen FW handled the left side. This razor was slightly more aggressive/harsh feeling while strangely somehow seeming simultaneously slightly less effective.
At the end of the two pass shave the 1st Gen was winning with a more comfortable closer shave.
The 3rd pass went to the 1st gen for a light touch up.

Aqua Velva 5in1 finished things off for a very enjoyable shave experience.

I said it before and I'll say it again if I only had one featherweight it would definitely be the first Gen Deluxe. However I still enjoy having both 1st and 2nd Gen razors.

1st Gen Deluxe on left 2nd on right.
You can see slight differences on the inside of the top cap. The blade tray looks the same to me.
20200727_163544_HDR~2.jpg

1st Gen Deluxe on Left 2nd Gen on right.
Again small differences noticeable on top caps.
The thumb tab is most notable to me. I prefer the feel of the 1st Gen thumb tab.
20200727_164147_HDR~2.jpg

20200727_164523_HDR~2.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
After hearing you all praise the Damaskeene over the later Gem 1912 variants I have been on the lookout for one. My ship came in today! The case is a bit worn, but the razor is in real nice shape! I believe this is a 1916 set.
View attachment 1131422View attachment 1131423View attachment 1131425
Very nice razor the Damaskeene closed comb, Your model has two main improvements over the 1912-15 open comb Damaskeene models. The closed comb is much stronger than the Open comb and does much the same physical objective of protecting the owner . The second improvement are the drainage ports on the base plate, I find my 1912 Damaskeene OC not to be a real problem but previous owners must of complained. They must of done something right because they sold millions of 1912 variants over the decades.

Gem Damaskeene 1912 open comb- MFG 1912-15, all 1912 variant improvements are based off of this razor model.
GEM Damaskeene OC 1912-15(2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Micromatic Monday Shave 20200727
20200727_145058~2.jpg

Razor: GEM Featherweight Deluxe :001_wub:
Blade: Ted Pella Personna GEM (5)
Brush: @Graydog Quilt (26mm Silver Synth) :001_wub:
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Soap: Cyril R. Salter Sublime Citrus
Post-shave: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Fine Italian Citrus
Cologne: Enforce Homme Eau de Cologne Spray

WTG, ATG & XTG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The GEM Featherweight Deluxe just flat out delivers excellent shaves every time I use it. Great razor!

The @Graydog Quilt brush is a superb brush! Works great with the Cyril R. Salter Sublime Citrus and produces volumes of supple yogurt consistency lather. Feels great on my face. Lovely brush.

An entirely satisfying Micromatic Monday shave! :)

I bought pepper sauce bottles from Ebay.

Oh man I threw away the jar from my ghost pepper sauce. That one would have had to have been washed extra good anyways.

Thanks for the Featherweight comparison. Now I know why I was in the dark about 2nd gen...I’ve never seen one before. I would have noticed a black Featherweight if I had come across one.

I'm not sure of all the colors that the second gen came in but this one is actually Dark Brown I believe I have seen Black and there's a Dark Gray for sure.

Very nice razor the Damaskeene closed comb, Your model has two main improvements over the 1912-15 open comb Damaskeene models. The closed comb is much stronger than the Open comb and does much the same physical objective of protecting the owner . The second improvement are the drainage ports on the base plate, I find my 1912 Damaskeene OC not to be a real problem but previous owners must of complained. They must of done something right because they sold millions of 1912 variants over the decades.

Gem Damaskeene 1912 open comb- MFG 1912-15, all 1912 variant improvements are based off of this razor model.
View attachment 1131432
Have some great shaves!
What a nice, subtle way to send me back to the hunt!

Razor: GEM 1912
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (5)
Brush: Vulfix Super Badger, forgotten model name/number
Soap: Cella, red container

Last night's shave on two days of stubble - and first GEM shave (and Micromatic Monday) in a month due to travelling, etc. I had forgotten how much more blade feel and sound there is with a GEM than with a DE. WTG/XTG/ATG BBS. Skin again feels like glass, just like a SR shave. No nicks, razor burn, or irritation. I did miss a tiny spot under my left ear, on the neck.

Next up: I have an unused MMOC and an unused GEM Junior baton bakelite handle; not sure which one I'll use. Game day decision, I guess.

Unrelated question: how long does a tub of Cella last? It seems like I've been using mine for over 2 months (although I had used Arko during 3 weeks on the road), and it looks unused and 100% full.

Oh yeah, the G-Bar (aka Heavy Flat Top) is wayyyyy smaller than a Micromatic....check out this pic:
proxy.php

Ummmm, wait that doesn't look right. Everybody turn to your right.....

proxy.php

Okay, that's better -- but it still seems MUCH smaller to me than a Micromatic in my hand than in the pic....in reality, the shape really shaves off the "inches"....sort of. It definitely feels shorter in my hand; and looking at the different bend in the "feet" between the FW and the G-Bar, I just prefer the FW's shape....can't really say why. So the length thing may be a YMMV.
Okay. I broke down and ordered a G-Bar.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD,Tue, July 28th 2020

Razor: Gem Featherweight 1st generation- MFG 1950-52
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) My favorite blade :001_wub:
Soap: Razorock Don Marco- Very nice citrus scent + great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24mm with marble handle.- excellent brush for creating lather with soft tips.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe vera gel.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + any pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Amici aftershave with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + one nick(operator error)=:a17:Excellent shave have with my Gem Featherweight 1st generation razor & 2nd use of Gem coated blade at its sharpest pinnacle in blade life.

SE SOTD, Tue, July 28th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom