What's new

Micromatic Monday

I know, it's not Monday, but:

Razor: GEM Junior bakelite baton handle
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (6)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Cella, red container

Early afternoon shave on two days of beard growth. First time using the GEM Junior, with great BBS results after WTG/XTG/ATG passes. The razor head looks and feels like the standard GEM 1912 head, so there was no learning curve for me vs. a 1912. The thick bakelite handle is easy to grip but felt a little slippery when wet.

I flipped over the blade today for shave #6, which made it feel almost like new. No post-shave irritation and no nicks or cuts, but still a lot of blade feel just like with the 1912.

I know, it's not Monday, but:

Razor: GEM Junior bakelite baton handle
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (6)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Cella, red container

Early afternoon shave on two days of beard growth. First time using the GEM Junior, with great BBS results after WTG/XTG/ATG passes. The razor head looks and feels like the standard GEM 1912 head, so there was no learning curve for me vs. a 1912. The thick bakelite handle is easy to grip but felt a little slippery when wet.

I flipped over the blade today for shave #6, which made it feel almost like new. No post-shave irritation and no nicks or cuts, but still a lot of blade feel just like with the 1912.

I've heard some people rub an Alum block on there fingers to improve grip on a slippery handle. Never tried it my self but it may be worth a try. My Bakelite handles never seamed slippery to me. I wonder if yours just hand a little oil or wax or something on it.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I've heard some people rub an Alum block on there fingers to improve grip on a slippery handle. Never tried it my self but it may be worth a try. My Bakelite handles never seamed slippery to me. I wonder if yours just hand a little oil or wax or something on it.
You are correct with the Alum, I have used that method and it works well IMO.

Thanks, I think it was soap on the handle.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Micromatic Monday Approaches!!! So it's time to grab your favorite soap or cream (as pointed out above, for your face, not your razor handle), and decide on which razor(s) to use. As a reminder, all GEMs, Ever-Readys, Stars and Treets that take a Gem-style blade are welcome -- this includes those brands produced overseas (e.g., Great Britain).

I'm thinking of a Micromatic for me....I'm leaning towards the Flying Wing (which in my case, comes with the Guiding Eye). How about you? Will you be joining in, and if so, do you know which razor you'll be bringing to the party?

20200802_085519_HDR~2.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Micromatic Monday Approaches!!! So it's time to grab your favorite soap or cream (as pointed out above, for your face, not your razor handle), and decide on which razor(s) to use. As a reminder, all GEMs, Ever-Readys, Stars and Treets that take a Gem-style blade are welcome -- this includes those brands produced overseas (e.g., Great Britain).

I'm thinking of a Micromatic for me....I'm leaning towards the Flying Wing (which in my case, comes with the Guiding Eye). How about you? Will you be joining in, and if so, do you know which razor you'll be bringing to the party?

My trusty Featherweight Deluxe or the wonderful MMOC (with bumps). :)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, Aug 03 2020- Good morning to all, thought I would use my ASR Everready 1914 today, I always get great shaves with this razor and the Audio feed back lets you know where the stubble is still hiding on the face. Beard stubble does not stand much of a chance with the ER 1914 and is a nice mid range. I rarely get irritation or weepers even with a new blade. Excellent razor.....
Razor: Everready 1914(AKA LLC or Little lather catcher) with 1st generation blade stops- Mfg 1914-17 excellent mid range IMO with great audio feedback.
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24 mm synthetic with black marble handle- Favorite brush for lathering + soft tips.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (4) :001_wub: Very sharp and smooths out over time, great longevity & very inexpensive per shave.
Soap: Razorock XXX:thumbsup:- I like the freshness scent with great lather qualities.(A.S. same scent after dry down)
Pre-shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX:thumbsup: with witch Hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers =:a17: Excellent shave with my ER 1914 LLC razor.
MMMonday Aug 3 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves! Think safe in these times!

Flintstone65

Had a Marvelous Micromatic Monday, myself....:ihih:!!! 3 passes and if it's not BBS, it's VERY close....definitely a DFS+!!!

Arko (it is Arko August -- I don't know that I'll go the whole month, but I'm enjoying it so far) which was lathered with the Yaqi Familia Sagrada. The Flying Wing (with patented Guiding Eye Technology, of course) and also known as the Bullet Tip, was paired with a GEM SS PTFE (a rare loose blade floating around the den, so who knows how many shaves it has on it). I was going to have a little music this morning -- specifically The Alan Parsons Project, and more specifically, "Eye in the Sky" for the song....but before I could put it on my iPhone, I started hearing it in my head....so I just let it play....endlessly....in my head...."I am the eye in the sky, looking at youuuuu, I can read your minnnnnd" :a17:! I'm sure the tune will depart....in a few hours!!! :yikes:
proxy.php

Well, it finally happened. I'm watching so many threads that I didn't get my heads up for MMMonday. Didn't stop me from getting my GEM in today though...
PXL_20200803_142409038-01.jpeg

GEM Damaskeene / GEM Persona SS PTFE
Arko stick (for Arko August - All Arko, all August)
Rudy Vey 2020 B&B Contributor's Brush
4711 AS and EdC

What can you say? The Damaskeene is just an awesome little razor.

Razor: Gem Junior with brass bulldog handle
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Cremo Brushless Shaving Cream
Lather: Soap Smooth Barbershop
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
PSX_20200802_080407.jpg

Flintstone65

Razor: Gem Junior with brass bulldog handle
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Cremo Brushless Shaving Cream
Lather: Soap Smooth Barbershop
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
View attachment 1134504
That head and handle look made for each other!!!

Top Bottom