What's new

Scratches

So after a month of waiting for the Rex Ambassador (I’m from the Philippines). This is what I got. Is there a way for me to remove these? Its doesnt affect the performance and I like how it shaves. I’m OCD on my razors so it bothers me.
AD78E6C9-6FF7-4235-8A57-0B535D951833.jpeg
Need your advice my fellow B&Bers.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Put a small piece of sandpaper on the popsicle stick and lightly sand it to remove.
The number of sandpaper can be from 400 to 1500. Be sure to keep grinding in the same direction.

That's a pretty deep scratch, and assuming it came like that, if you got it from RE you might contact them for a replacement before you put sandpaper to it, and send them a photo. They've been pretty responsive in my experience, although others have reported a mixed bag (especially regarding their plating service). Couldn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:
That's a pretty deep scratch, and assuming it came like that, if you got it from RE you might contact them for a replacement before you put sandpaper to it, and send them a photo. They've been pretty responsive in my experience, although others have reported a mixed bag (especially regarding their plating service). Couldn't hurt to ask.

Thank you for the suggestion.Will try to have it replaced. Matt has been responsive with me too.

+1! Definitely worth a try before you use the sandpaper.

And just as a comparo, this is what it should look like, NIB. Machine milling marks = OK, deep gouges/dents = not OK:

20200723_102253.jpg

Last edited:
To add, just from the photo, there are multiple dings on the baseplate that shouldn't be there, including at least one on the central grooves that might affect the seating of the top cap. Nothing that couldn't be user-repaired or lived-with, but you shouldn't have to on a new - expensive - razor.....

Last edited:
This is sad guys. It will cost me around 60usd to ship the item back to Arizona. I asked the courrier services available here. So I guess I’ll resort to a stainless steel polish or sandpaper. What do you guys think? Will 1,500 grit do?

This is sad guys. It will cost me around 60usd to ship the item back to Arizona. I asked the courrier services available here. So I guess I’ll resort to a stainless steel polish or sandpaper. What do you guys think? Will 1,500 grit do?
Sorry about the scratches. 1500 grit is way too fine to get those scratches out. I'd suggest using wet/dry sandpaper in the 400-800 grit range. Wrap your sandpaper around a wood or rubber block so you have a firm backing. You do not really need polish since the metal surfaces have a machined surface. Just finish up your sanding with the finest grit sandpaper you have.

ERS4

Compared the machined surface of rex, 1500 grit sandpaper is suitable for the final finishing step.
You must first use 400-800 grit sandpaper to remove scratches, and then make more subtle touches.

If 400 grit sandpaper still cannot remove the scratches, you may even have to try 200.

Thank you the sirs Atlanic59 and ERS4. Its gonna be the first to do this. Ill start at 400 then 800 then finish with 1500?

If it`s a deep scratch, it will be hard to completly remove... You can use a wet sandpaper to make a light random orientated brushed look on both sides, it will sort of "cover" that scratch.

If it`s a deep scratch, it will be hard to completly remove... You can use a wet sandpaper to make a light random orientated brushed look on both sides, it will sort of "cover" that scratch.

Thank you sir. It seems like the scratches are not deep. I can’t feel them when I run my fingernail on them. It has to be at a perfect angle to see them.

ERS4

The grit of sandpaper is not necessarily.
400 grit is just a "probably good start" in this case.

You can start with "I think this grit can eliminate traces" to try.
If it doesn't work, you can choose a slightly rough sandpaper. When the scratches disappear gradually, we can use finer sandpaper to eliminate grinding marks.

Don't need to use too much force, and check the effect at any time during the grinding process.

Top Bottom