What's new

Cut Out the Artisan Crap...Soap is Soap!

1592253465718.png

I like the way you think but "artisan soap maker" is equivalent to microbrewery. It's still beer, but different to mass produced beer. You know, no aditives, ingredients usually not found in mass soaps, small batches, inconsistent QC

I like the way you think but "artisan soap maker" is equivalent to microbrewery. It's still beer, but different to mass produced beer. You know, no aditives, ingredients usually not found in mass soaps, small batches, inconsistent QC
Legitimate question (OT), not an argument: Is Founders too big to be craft? Definitely no quality control issues there. So far I haven't had any bad Wholly Kaws, but let's face it I do not buy it as frequently as I do beer.

Does
Legitimate question (OT), not an argument: Is Founders too big to be craft? Definitely no quality control issues there. So far I haven't had any bad Wholly Kaws, but let's face it I do not buy it as frequently as I do beer.

I don't know but Founders KBS is pretty amazing.

Also does anybody know which artisan(s) kicked off this trend? This was not a thing at all in the mid 2000s.

When some corporate weasel, hires some marketing genius and comes forth with a shave soap and says , soap is soap, and ours works just as good as any other shave soap at half the price.......that is probably what I wil switch over to, and buy.

I think you just described Arko. Red paper tube stuffed with soap with a lathered up grinning face on the wrapper. I think it's something silly cheap like $.30 a stick in the region it's made in too.

Godrej Round, same boat.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy

So I actually took a class in beer & brewing at our local community college a couple of years back and "craft" means you produce less than 6 million barrels per year. The two largest craft breweries in the US are Sam Adams (Boston Beer Co) & Yuengling which are right at that limit, then I believe the next two are Sierra Nevada and New Belgium. Both of which just happen to have their East Coast locations approximately 8 miles from my home. :a17:

Founders is absolutely considered a "craft" brewery. However, like many "craft" breweries it is now a corporation owned by a parent company that is definitely not "craft" - With Founders it happens to be Mahou San Miguel of Spain.

Last edited:
I seem to remember the "artisan" trend started with bakeries and then took off from there. It was difficult to get good bread at the supermarket, bread was a product that was compromised so it could be made fast and cheap. Supermarket bread was full of air and all sorts of crap ingredients like bromated flour, dough conditioners, corn syrup, emulsifiers, cheap oil, too much salt, etc. If you went to the artisan bakery, you could get something that actually qualified as the staff of life.

Of course, that trend was franchised and co-opted later...

Probably started out as a sales gimmick. You know, " don't waste your money on this soap because our soap is more natural soap, and has xy and z in it." As the company grew, the " corporate weasels" hired marketing firms to whip up the frenzy even further. Then other Corporate weasels in other companies said to themselves, " hey we can do that because soap is soap.....and we can make soap so we will just make it smell different and stick our label on it and add a few ingredients that do not matter, but it will do the same thing for shaving as all the other shave soaps"
Before I started using Proraso, I used Edge Gel, Harry's gel, barbasol, Irish springs, Dove, Dawn dish soap, coast deodorant soap and whatever was available at the time. The true shave soaps worked better than Dawn dish soap.
But Dawn got the job done and was better than no soap at all. Edge and Harry's work just as well as Proraso, but Proraso is much more cost effective as a tub lasts MUCH longer than a can of Edge gel. Arka probably works just as well as proraso and is even cheaper. All the more expensive artisan soaps can take a hike. They cost more and look better when you take a picture of your 300.00 razor. That's about it.
When some corporate weasel, hires some marketing genius and comes forth with a shave soap and says , soap is soap, and ours works just as good as any other shave soap at half the price.......that is probably what I wil switch over to, and buy.
I think it just sarted with shavers not finding what they wanted and deciding to try to make what they wanted.

Wouldn't know since I live in Europe xD

Just to clarify, I didn't mean to say that every small batch producer has inconsitent QC, but it is present more frequently than with mass producers...

So I actually took a class in beer & brewing at our local community college a couple of years back and "craft" means you produce less than 6 million barrels per year
I believe this 6 million barrels can't be used universally and it should be taught that way.

Total production of ALL breweries of our country in 2018 was 93 milion liters. 1 barrel is roughly 120 liters. That is roughly 775 000 barrels for the whole country. By that logic...all breweries in my country are craft?

I’m really starting to get a little tired of all this artisan this...artisan that references. Soap is soap! Who decided to brand any soap newer than twenty years with the artisan brand? How do you differentiate non artisan from artisan? You can’t because there is no such thing. It’s soap! There is no such thing as artisan soap! There are new soap companies, and old soap companies and they all make soap. Some are thicker, some are thinner. Some smell good, some smell bad. Some people feel more secure buying soap in a drugstore, some buy it online. So let’s give up all this bickering over a non relevant label that somehow snuck into the industry...and means absolutely nothing. A company that makes soap is a company that makes soap. Period!
Ok, thanks

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I believe this 6 million barrels can't be used universally and it should be taught that way.

Total production of ALL breweries of our country in 2018 was 93 milion liters. 1 barrel is roughly 120 liters. That is roughly 775 000 barrels for the whole country. By that logic...all breweries in my country are craft?

The 6 million barrel definition is used exclusively to define craft brewing in the USA by the Brewers Association. In all fairness and full disclosure it's likely set at that number so those big 4 that I previously mentioned can continue to define themselves that way.

I assume by your use of the metric system you are in Europe ("check out the big brain on Brad...that's right....the metric system" - Jules Winnfield) If I had to narrow it down with a guess, based on the reference in your username to an ancient Celtic festival I would guess either the UK or Ireland.

I have no idea about how they define craft beer in other countries, but I know I sure do enjoy those Samuel Smith imports from the UK as well as Westmalle & Rochefert and the other Trappist breweries from Belgium.

The world's largest brewery is, I think, ABInbev, a multinational based in Belgium. As a total company they produce well over 500 million barrels per year.

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Europe is bigger than I thought!
Only three countries in the world still use the Imperial system (USA, Liberia, and Myanmar).
View attachment 1114736

I thought the US used the English system, which Wikipedia tells me that us Brits abandoned in 1826 in favour of the Imperial system, which is why their pints and ounces are different to ours. Wikipedia also tell me that the US signed up to the metric system just 40 years later in 1866, and then just over 100 years later in 1975, they had another crack at getting it implemented there, but everyone ignored that too. :lol:

I think the rest of the world has pretty much given up on them adopting it now 🤣

Top Bottom