What's new

INFO! RUDY VEY GROUP BUY! Sold Out!!!!!

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I am not sure if bog oak means the material or the material plus the shape, but I will +1 for a wooden handle.

Here's some info gleaned from MÜHLE's website about Bog Oak

The Material - Bog oak
This rare material is not a wood species in its own right, but comes from wood that sank into bogs many centuries ago and has undergone various processes of change in the meantime. This preserves the wood naturally and lastingly. An expressive, dark colour develops due to the tannins in the bog.

The scarcity of these tree trunks today makes this material a genuine rarity. The colouring of the wood varies between brown, dark brown and black-brown. To begin with, square timbers are sawn from the few usable trunk sections and then turned out as handles. Several polishes with fine oils provide an additional seal for the surfaces and give them a silky-matt finish.

and them some more info gleaned from a company that sells on Etsy named Bog & Brass

Irish Bog Oak and its creation:

The Irish bog oak is my favourite wood to work with. Originally oak, it lay in the peat bog land of Ireland for more than 5,000 years emerging into the Irish sunlight again infused with the colour of the earth. It is a piece of history, not only does it look beautiful, it feels beautiful with a depth of colour like the peat earth that was a home to it for so long.
Irish bog wood also known as “morta” can be described as wood that was buried through time in peat boglands which through the lack of oxygen in the environment managed to preserve the wood from the natural process of decay. Not only is the wood preserved but it is coloured by the tannins naturally present in the acidic environment of the bog.

Bog woods can be found throughout the world, in Ireland the three main types of bogwood that can be found are Yew, Oak and Pine. Bog woods are examples of early fossilasation, and therefore very rare. The Irish bog oaks can be up to five or six thousand years old, as old as the pyramids.The centuries-long process of timber change results in colour alteration from golden-brown to completely black. No two pieces of wood will ever be exactly the same colour.

It is an interesting fact that in Ireland land has been proven through history to be very important. Ireland harvests fuel from the very ancient peat boglands that preserved these bog woods. The “Turf” is a form of fossil fuel and was originally cut by hand using a turf spade which was back braking work. Even today turf is cut from the earth by people for fuel.
Cutting turf the traditional way down though the layers of earth is like cutting through layers of time. The deeper through the earth, the blacker the turf, until it is almost black. The Black turf “Cloch Mhoin”, meaning “stone turf”Hence the name “ Cloch Mhoin”

Bog woods also become blacker the longer they were hidden in the acidic peat bogs, and also becoming much harder. In some cases almost impossible to cut.

And finally, here's a couple of pics from Rudy Vey's website of Bog Oak handles that he's done

1592359462098.png 1592359498055.png

Last edited:
Have a pocket knife with a very old-style Damascus blade and bog oak scales, and they are all but indestructible. Dark black in color, with a tactile feel that's hard to describe - satiny-soft, warm and smooth, but so hard it's un-dentable, and so far impervious to anything dropped-in, spilled-on or carried-with. It feels like wood, with no finish that I can tell, and in very, very bright light has a deep, dark grain running through it, but it's very un-wood-like in durability. It would make an awesome brush handle.

I'm interested but, like everyone else, it'll depend on pricing, handle shape/material/colour, etc.

I'm also Canadian, so if badger isn't available, then I'd probably go for a bare handle.

Sure, heaven help me, I am interested. I have no need for another shaving brush, but I am interested in almost anything Rudy Vey puts his hand to.

Any chance on offering the handle for putting your own knot in like with the recent Contributers brush? Depending on shape I may be interested. (Possibly also if D01-2band fan is available)

Top Bottom