What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

View attachment 1110246

Sunday’s Shave

Going with GD RC Mallard Soap today. The brush was my Uomo da Vinci 290 Silvertip badger – one nice brush. The razor was my RR Aluminum Stealth Slant loaded with a Wizamet Super Iridium blade. After a four-pass shave I used cool water to remove any excess lather. I then applied Thayers Rose Petal WH followed by Clubman. The fragrance today was GFT Sandalwood. An excellent shave. 10/10.

like that brush!!!!

camo

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Clinique for men exfoliating tonic
- Nuage pre-shave oil
- Proraso Red (tube) bowl lathered

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- Baylis and Harding Black Pepper and Ginseng Balm
- Jack Black Double Duty SPF Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86
- Wilkinson Sword Classic (1)
- Edwin Jagger 286 Synthetic

Shave Rating: 7/10
Single pass for a Sunday touch up with my current reference blade make. Nice comfortable shave to keep things under control before back to blade testing tomorrow. Also the first time using Proraso Red, solid performer but not convinced about the scent.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Soap: Black Ship Grooming Thomas Tew
Brush: Fendrihan Tuxedo synthetic
Razor: Timeless SS scalloped .68
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (German) - day 3
AS: Lucky Tiger followed up with Bootlegger's El Dorado (for some lingering scent)

Kit 20200607.jpg

Razor: Timeless Bronze TRBR38
Blade: Gillette 7 o’clock Green Permasharp Stainless (2)
Brush: Semogue 830
Soap: Speick
AS: Mennen Skin Bracer
Shave/results: 2 pass WTG and ATG for a DFS. Smooth sailing today, Speick was excellent as always and my Semogue 830 is crazy soft on the face when lathering.
Tim
75FF0CAE-784B-4F8C-BCEF-4A39C583F4C6.jpeg

Sun 7th SOTD
Soap Colonel Conk BayRum
Brush Yaqi 26mm Moka Express
Razor RR Game Changer.84 SB / BP Handle
Blade Tiger Platinum 5th
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic Acid
Clubman Whisky Woods
Excellent lather! Creamily thick and slick!
Shave with GC.84 paired with blade was nice, comfortable and smooth. This is an excellent DE blade...still good on 5th shave!
3+1 multiple passes. Should have been satisfied with 3passes but it was so comfortable and on the pickup pass caught a weeper. Icy water rinse followed by artic Thayers then softened by Hyaluronic and top-off by WhiskyWoods which is terrificand lasting. Still a very good session with mostly BBS to DFS result. Rating 8.5/10
20200607_053803.jpg

20200607_061827.jpg

Razor: 1965 Schick Krona
Blade: Wilkinson Sword - German (12)
Brush: Ever Ready 100T handle with synthetic knot|
Soap: Mike's Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper
Aftershave: Speick
Rating: 9/10 - Blade felt like it was tugging a bit. Had to work harder than usual to get a good shave, and some slight irritation on one part of my neck. Tossed the blade when I was done. 12 shaves is average for Wilkinson Sword blades.

On the Williams journey and I sure above average shaves with it. By the clean up pass the lather seems "thin". Not sure why, I splay the brush and sure enough I always seem to get enough to finish well. The smoothness is amazing. I would like to add a bit if protection if that makes sense. Moving back de in the razor rotation and will see how that works. But I would like to get to the point where the balm doesn't burn, even though my face looks good. Just an odd feeling I have not had before.

8.6/10

KM

IMG_20200607_093432.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday Schick shave, June 7th 2020, I was reading a thread were one of the fellows when using a DE adjustable razor starts off at a low setting and then graduates up the dial. Well I have been using his method for some time and today for the first time tried it on my Schick injector M3. His thought was as the stubble gets smaller is harder to cut off so by increasing blade exposure you give the blade a better response to hitting the stubble. No science, just good old opinionated shaving theories. :001_smile

Razor: Schick adjustable injector Model or M3- Mfg 1970-72, Dialed up 3,4,5,after each pass, excellent shave.
Blade: Personna SS PTFE (10)Excellent blade- I just like to use Personna blades in my single edge razors.
Soap : Nivea cream original - I use it with other soaps sometimes in my mixing bowl, nice scent, ok lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi brown whiskers 26mm (Mew)- very enjoyable brush to use.
Pre-shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a small dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water after each pass of 3 + any pickups.
Post shave: Nivea refreshing aftershave + witch Hazel + Nivea sensitive balm. Great products IMO.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Schick injector adjustable M3.
Sunday shave, June 7th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Brush: an unbranded silvertip badger
Soap: Williams mug soap
Razor: a no date code Gillette Super speed
Blade: Astra Platinum
Post shave: warm wash cloth followed by Osma alum, let it sit while I clean up, then wipe off the alum with the wash cloth.
Aftershave: Pinaud Virgin Islands bay rum aftershave
20200607_124937.jpg

A very nice shave overall.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Single Edge Sunday Shave 20200607
shave 20200607_102404.jpg

Razor: Colonial General V2, Timeless TRH6 Ti Handle
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional (6)
Brush: @Graydog 'Chubby' w/26mm Full Moon Knot
Soap: La Toja Stick
Bowl: Bamboo
Post-shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: La Toja
Cologne: Lagerfeld Classic

WTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

Three pass shave resulted in a very nice DFS++ with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

The La Toja stick produces a very slick and cushioning lather. Shaving sticks are not my first choice for getting lather on my face (much prefer pucks and creams) so I may try grating a couple of sticks into a container so I can load my brush from a La Toja 'puck' as I do really like this soap. :)

The La Toja cream is also a favorite. :)

The Colonial General V2 plus the Feather Artist Club Professional is a great combination - smooth, effortless and comfortable. Beautiful razor. :)

Very relaxing and excellent shave! :)

Razor: Parker SRW Shavette
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter
Brush: Elite Razor Spalted Maple handle with Full Moon Synthetic
Soap: Williams Shave
After Shave:
  1. Proraso Blue Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E
  2. Nivea Sensitive Cooling Post Shave Balm
  3. Nivea Sensitive Cooling Post Shave Balm
Rating:9.6/10 I am very pleased with the end result as my SR journey continues
  • Two pass shave. Still on the SR learning curve, but things went so well and quick enough, I decided to do a 2nd pass. Unfortunately, I've never done a true 2nd pass with an SR and should have thought out my strategy better: how to hold my razor, which hand to use, WTG, ATG, ATG, etc....
  • First pass was excellent with one minor minor nick. I could have stopped there
  • Second pass I got a little flustered, rushed a little, and ended up with a couple more nicks
  • I am extremely happy with the end result. Very smooth!
  • I caught more weekend sun than I realized. Also, the first use of the Nacet blade seems to be pretty aggressive. I used Proraso AS as part of the shave. I was feeling some sun and razor burn, so shortly afterward applied the Nivea (I really like the cooling aspect of it). An hour later, I did another Nivea AS treatment - I think this was mainly from the weekend sun with some additional irritation from the shave
  • Almost forgot, I am still trying to dial in the amount of Proraso pre-shave cream to use. Sometimes it seems like I am "gunking" up the razor with it more than I should....

Prep - Lucky Tiger Face Wash
Razor - Merkur 34c HD
Blade - Bolzano (1)
Brush - Omega 10104 "Un Poco Diablo"
Soap - Arko
AfterShave - Chargin Valley Lime AS Balm
Rating? - 8/10

After a week with a sputnik the bolzano felt less sharp. Compentent and even with no tugging
or rough spots but didnt feel as sharp. Still very good shave and we'll see how it goes over the
next few shaves.

Razor: Parker SRW Shavette
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter
Brush: Elite Razor Spalted Maple handle with Full Moon Synthetic
Soap: Williams Shave
After Shave:
  1. Proraso Blue Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E
  2. Nivea Sensitive Cooling Post Shave Balm
  3. Nivea Sensitive Cooling Post Shave Balm
Rating:9.6/10 I am very pleased with the end result as my SR journey continues
  • Two pass shave. Still on the SR learning curve, but things went so well and quick enough, I decided to do a 2nd pass. Unfortunately, I've never done a true 2nd pass with an SR and should have thought out my strategy better: how to hold my razor, which hand to use, WTG, ATG, ATG, etc....
  • First pass was excellent with one minor minor nick. I could have stopped there
  • Second pass I got a little flustered, rushed a little, and ended up with a couple more nicks
  • I am extremely happy with the end result. Very smooth!
  • I caught more weekend sun than I realized. Also, the first use of the Nacet blade seems to be pretty aggressive. I used Proraso AS as part of the shave. I was feeling some sun and razor burn, so shortly afterward applied the Nivea (I really like the cooling aspect of it). An hour later, I did another Nivea AS treatment - I think this was mainly from the weekend sun with some additional irritation from the shave
  • Almost forgot, I am still trying to dial in the amount of Proraso pre-shave cream to use. Sometimes it seems like I am "gunking" up the razor with it more than I should....

Sorry Ace I grabbed your post by mistake, I meant to reply to Vaporstang about his razor gunking up from the preshave cream.

Vapor - Have you tried not using the pre shave cream to see what results you get and whether you still experience gunking on the razor ?

Sorry Ace I grabbed your post by mistake, I meant to reply to Vaporstang about his razor gunking up from the preshave cream.

Vapor - Have you tried not using the pre shave cream to see what results you get and whether you still experience gunking on the razor ?
no problem buddy.

Almost forgot, I am still trying to dial in the amount of Proraso pre-shave cream to use. Sometimes it seems like I am "gunking" up the razor with it more than I should....
I have the same stuff & seem to get the best result when using very little like barely visible. I found it gunked the razor when using too much but I was also making worse lather back then.

Top Bottom