What's new

Most efficient yet mild razor

Agree completely! I like my Merkur 34C very much, boring or not! I even have two (a long time ago, an order I placed got duplicated by mistake... I decided to keep the second 34C as backup, it was my daily driver back then). It's a tad milder than I'd like and I don't use it as much anymore, my current rotation consisting of a R41, an ATT H2 and a Fatip Piccolo. But whenever I decide to take it out for a spin, it surely does give very nice shaves. I especially like to use mine with Kai blades.

I don't own a slant yet... Maybe I need to address this pronto! My slant shortlist is currently limited to the 37C and the Fatip Storto, we'll see... Thanks for your recommendations, really appreciate them!

I bought a 37 slant last month. My first slant. Purchased after all the rave reviews. It's the worst razor I possess. It irritates and leaves stubble no matter what I do. I will persist as I must be doing something wrong considering all the rave reviews.

I've been using DE's for 10 years and my regular is the Futur and R41.

You're welcome.

Sometimes it takes more than 140 characters or less, but I have been known to write Novellas for posts haha.

About comfort. I found my most comfortable shaves with little to no blade gap, another reason I like Fatips. The NEW SC has .023" blade gap and if I need more than 3 passes with it I'll have irritation. My slim on 7 or 9 will leave my neck bright red if I need 3 passes, yet I can do 5 ATG passes with my Grande and have no irritation at all.

How the skin fills and flows through blade gap causes the skin to be pressed against the blades edge at a steeper angle. The larger the gap, the steeper the angle of edge to skin as it flows through that gap. That can also make a razor very effective, but as gap increases, so can irritation.

Blade gap, blade exposure, blade rigidity... Things I never paid much attention to before... Until I got wiser, thanks mainly to these forums and to guys like yourself!

I'll admit I fell for the blade gap "trap" looking for the most efficient shave. My thinking was: two passes, some buffing/cleanup and boom! You're done! A very close shave, maybe not too comfortable but not too bad neither...

Lately I've been wondering, are close shaves and comfortable shaves mutually exclusive? I love my R41 and my ATT H2, the closest shaves you'll ever get... But could I get a "close enough" shave with a much more pleasurabe experience? Hello Mr. Piccolo! Liking that little guy more and more. I still enjoy shaving with my 15C from time to time, it's an almost totally carefree experience, but I cannot get the closeness I get with the Piccolo.

I guess it's one of the benfits of getting older (the only one?), you start taking better care of yourself... Close shaves? Nah, that was when I was younger... Now I want (need!) comfortable/pleasurable ones!

Again, thank you very much for your input! Happy shaves!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Blade gap, blade exposure, blade rigidity... Things I never paid much attention to before... Until I got wiser, thanks mainly to these forums and to guys like yourself!

I'll admit I fell for the blade gap "trap" looking for the most efficient shave. My thinking was: two passes, some buffing/cleanup and boom! You're done! A very close shave, maybe not too comfortable but not too bad neither...

Lately I've been wondering, are close shaves and comfortable shaves mutually exclusive? I love my R41 and my ATT H2, the closest shaves you'll ever get... But could I get a "close enough" shave with a much more pleasurabe experience? Hello Mr. Piccolo! Liking that little guy more and more. I still enjoy shaving with my 15C from time to time, it's an almost totally carefree experience, but I cannot get the closeness I get with the Piccolo.

I guess it's one of the benfits of getting older (the only one?), you start taking better care of yourself... Close shaves? Nah, that was when I was younger... Now I want (need!) comfortable/pleasurable ones!

Rigid designs may not be for everyone but they sure solved my problems. Anyone that has issues shaving ATG would, mostly likely, benefit from a more rigid design.

I see closeness and comfort as more mutually necessary but how we each define our best shaves vary as much as anything else.

Its been my experience that a close shave is most easily reached with generous blade exposure. For me personally, that blade exposure needs to be with a rigid edge. Hence why I enjoy the MMOC so much. Its difficult to see the actual blade exposure because of the blade tabs, but between the blade reveal and the blade gap, as minor as it is, you can make a pretty good guess.

IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_2732.jpg

Blade exposure is more than adequate for me and yet, used properly, its a kitten.

Shave comfort should be everyones #1 priority.

The reason why I sold the Timeless bronze was because Timeless had just released the Aluminum version, at the time when I started complaining that it was too heavy and it needed to be polished regularly to keep its shine. I have enjoyed efficient razors like the R41, but the R41 pulled my hair. The Fatip wasn´t that efficient nor super comfortable, and the finish just poorly executed. Timeless razors are just so enjoyable to use that they should logically be destination razors for anyone. The problem is that RAD is a real disorder!
I tend to be minimalist in life, so I have searched for "the one" during the past 3-4 years. The Aluminum checks all boxes, including the price tag.
If you like blade feel look into the bronze or aluminum offerings, otherwise the SS and Titanium.

I hope you find your destination razor.

The Aluminum Timeless appeals to me very much and the price seems very reasonable to me. I'm just waiting a bit hopping they might release an open comb version.

Also waiting on the Aluminum Karve (I was dead-set on the F plate but now I'm thinking it might be the right time to start tonning things down a bit). Hopping for May? Who knows...

I like my Aluminum ATT Calypso very much. I have an H2 plate on it. Somebody recommended I try the M2, much milder and yet still very efficient, seems like a sensible recommendation.

I've read many good things about brass, bronze and copper razors... Much warmer feeling on the face, not as cold as SS and Ti, long lasting... Like you I'm not too crazy about patina, and that's mainly what's stopping me from heading that route. Aluminum also checks all the boxes for me. I really love light, maneuverable razors with not too tall heads.

Regarding our search for "the one", I think one of the wisest comments I've read on these forums (and I've read many!) goes something like this: it's not about the destination, it's about the journey! (I hope I didn't screw that one up!)

Happy shaves and please do stay safe!

I bought a 37 slant last month. My first slant. Purchased after all the rave reviews. It's the worst razor I possess. It irritates and leaves stubble no matter what I do. I will persist as I must be doing something wrong considering all the rave reviews.

I've been using DE's for 10 years and my regular is the Futur and R41.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the 37C... Not unlike my initiation with the Fatip Piccolo OC. Maybe wait a week or so before you give it another try? I don't own any slants so I'm afraid that besides take your time, go slow, apply very little pressure, there's not much else I can help you with. As you say, the 37C has some great reviews and some die-hard afficionados out there, so it should eventually work for you too!

Good luck and happy shaves!

The argument is; from more experienced shavers than I; that you can get an equally close shave from all DE razors as they are all blade on skin and you can't get closer than that. The rest is all technique.

Give yourself to the Darkside, we have vintage razors, but touch my razors you will not! They are my precious ones. Okay, too much Netflix. But your best choice in vintage is to find a nice Pre-War Tech with the triangle lather slots and match it with a good blade and second choice post war tech or maybe any of the Super Speeds.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The argument is; from more experienced shavers than I; that you can get an equally close shave from all DE razors as they are all blade on skin and you can't get closer than that. The rest is all technique.

In general yes, they all do the same job, just some do that job differently. The outcome can be the same with any, its just a different road to the same destination.

Technique is paramount but to have a true BBS shave, where you cant feel any stubble anywhere, in any direction, even when feeling with considerable pressure from your hand, you're actually shaving below the skin surface.

Thats where, for me, the right soaps became a critical part of my shaves. My first use of PdP 63 taught me a lot about how the right soap for my skin can make my skin more supple and more forgiving of a sharp blade against it.

My first shave with any new to me soap now is with a fresh Feather blade. If I feel no harshness from the blade I know my skin likes that soap. If I do feel harshness, and I struggled with that very thing for over a year, I know the soap isnt a good match for my skin. I made a post about that not long ago.

The more supple my skin is, the less irritation I can have. My skin reacts differently to different soaps. I learned that difference on my first shave with PdP. It made my skin so supple and forgiving that on the very first shave, all the harshness I struggled with for a year using Feather blades was gone. Completely gone.

Since then, thats my test for any new soap. If I can shave with a fresh Feather blade and not have irritation I know it agrees with my skin.

Soaps and creams that havent passed that test:
Proraso.
Stirling.
Tabac.
Castle Forbes cream.
Truefitt & Hill.
Midnight & Two.
Trumpers cream.

Soaps and creams that have passed that test:
Wickham 1912.
CRS cream.
PDP.
WK DM.
Captain's Choice cream.
Phoenix & Beau.
Nivea cream, either regular or sensitive.

True. However it is not necessarily a case of getting from Point A to Point B.

Different razors get you there in different ways and leave different levels of smooth etc.

I find that my Fatip gets me there faster (less time with blade on face = less irritation, regardless of 'aggression') and I believe it provides longer lasting results.

Milder razors require sharper blades in my experience, whereas more 'aggressive' razors can be dialled up or down based on personal preference.

As always, though, YMMV.

Rigid designs may not be for everyone but they sure solved my problems. Anyone that has issues shaving ATG would, mostly likely, benefit from a more rigid design.

I see closeness and comfort as more mutually necessary but how we each define our best shaves vary as much as anything else.

Its been my experience that a close shave is most easily reached with generous blade exposure. For me personally, that blade exposure needs to be with a rigid edge. Hence why I enjoy the MMOC so much. Its difficult to see the actual blade exposure because of the blade tabs, but between the blade reveal and the blade gap, as minor as it is, you can make a pretty good guess.

View attachment 1090918

View attachment 1090919

Blade exposure is more than adequate for me and yet, used properly, its a kitten.

Shave comfort should be everyones #1 priority.

I’d still call myself an independent on rigid designs… I’ve read numerous posts from people whose opinions I respect a great deal arguing that rigid designs are the only way to go, basically that it’s rigid or bust! And I cannot say that their arguments aren’t compelling… And yet I’m still able to get very close shaves from my R41 and my ATT H2, two of the most un-rigid designs out there (unless I’m mistaken). The most comfortable shaves I’ve ever gotten? No… But not the worst neither, not by a longshot.

Thank you very much for the beautiful pics of your MMOC. Believe me, it's not difficult to see the balde exposure at all, lol! Never shaved with one of those (or an SE for that matter) before, so a kitten? I guess I’ll have to take your word for it!

“Shave comfort should be everyones #1 priority” +1!!!

Thank you very much for your kind advice, happy shaves and please, do stay safe!

Hmm... Equally close shaves from all DE razors? I would never dare to call myself and expert, not even an experienced shaver... But I can tell you this, I cannot get an equally close shave from my 15C as from my R41 (leaving comfort, irritation, etc. aside). But as you point out, maybe it's because I'm lacking in technique? Maybe... Worth examining further, me thinks... Thank you very much for your post!

Give yourself to the Darkside, we have vintage razors, but touch my razors you will not! They are my precious ones. Okay, too much Netflix. But your best choice in vintage is to find a nice Pre-War Tech with the triangle lather slots and match it with a good blade and second choice post war tech or maybe any of the Super Speeds.

As we speak, hanging by a very thin thread my brother… Getting thinner by the minute…

Hmm... Equally close shaves from all DE razors? I would never dare to call myself and expert, not even an experienced shaver... But I can tell you this, I cannot get an equally close shave from my 15C as from my R41 (leaving comfort, irritation, etc. aside). But as you point out, maybe it's because I'm lacking in technique? Maybe... Worth examining further, me thinks... Thank you very much for your post!

Let me quote from another forum where this discussion was had a few years ago:

If I push my tech into my face (read - add pressure) it will cut me maybe a millimetre deep.

If I did that with an R41 maybe that's 2mm.

If I do it with my straight, I need staples/skin grafts on my cheek.

If I use no pressure, can each of them cut the hair flat to skin level? Yep. BBS. I can't go less - any closer than skin level would involve removing skin.

Maybe I can do, in one pass with a straight, what I can do in one and touch ups with a Tech. But with good technique, it is likely to be a closer race than that.

Let me quote from another forum where this discussion was had a few years ago:

If I push my tech into my face (read - add pressure) it will cut me maybe a millimetre deep.

If I did that with an R41 maybe that's 2mm.

If I do it with my straight, I need staples/skin grafts on my cheek.

If I use no pressure, can each of them cut the hair flat to skin level? Yep. BBS. I can't go less - any closer than skin level would involve removing skin.

Maybe I can do, in one pass with a straight, what I can do in one and touch ups with a Tech. But with good technique, it is likely to be a closer race than that.
If they say so. TMMV

For me: I can get near BBS with a Tech. It has a narrow cutting angle anyway, so I know my angle and technique are spot on otherwise it wouldn't cut.

I can get near BBS with my Fatip Grande. It has myriad usable angles. But I get a great smooth shave.

The difference: I need far less touch up after the Fatip passes, and the BBS from the Fatip lasts longer.

So for me...

... Aggressive/Efficient > Mild...

... As long as the shave is comfortable.

I can only achieve 'near BBS' because I can't quite get some spots on my neck to be dolphin smooth!

Top Bottom