What's new

Most efficient yet mild razor

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Before anything, please allow me to thank you sir for all your help during my Fatip "initiation" days. Many times in this thread I have thanked the people that helped me with their kind advice after my first Fatip adventure (that didn't go too well, I'm sad to say). And Monsieur Never-Stop-Learning was one of them! Anyways, you got yourself a Fatip convert now! Thanks again for your advice and tips during my "training wheels" days!

So much knowledge... Having to google up half of the stuff you are talking about! But once again, having that feeling that I'm missing soo much by avoiding the vintage stuff. Must... Resist... Or maybe not... Idk...

Applying your wisdom to my particular situation, I can read: Fatip Piccolo (check!), Fatip Grande (do it!), Karve (OMG, get your act together guy!), RR GC 84 (soon?), Timeless (Hmm... Alu?), Charcoal (I know they are amazing but...), Mamba?, Lupo?

SE? Not ready to jump leagues yet... But who knows...

Many thanks for your input, happy shaves and please, do stay safe!

Thank you. You are too kind.

If you want to stick with a new DE razor, you are definitely on the right track with Fatip. :)

As always in threads with this theme I need to put forward my grail razor: The 1947 Gillette Hybrid Tech! - Oh and you can add: the smoothest one also :001_wub:
58C67281-F769-41A3-847A-33E4C9C62F76.jpeg

What would you say is the most efficient (gunning for efficiency, not necessarily aggressiveness) yet mild (smooth, comfortable, non-irritating, etc.) razor that you have ever tried?

From my modest collection, I would say it is the Fatip Piccolo Originale (OC)

If for you it happens to be a razor/blade combo, I’d love to hear about it too!

Happy shaves and stay safe everybody!

I'd agree with you that the Fatip OC razors are very efficient and extremely comfortable. They can also be used at a wide range of angles due to the amount of blade exposure, so would suit most shaving styles!

What would you say is the most efficient (gunning for efficiency, not necessarily aggressiveness) yet mild (smooth, comfortable, non-irritating, etc.) razor that you have ever tried?

From my modest collection, I would say it is the Fatip Piccolo Originale (OC)

If for you it happens to be a razor/blade combo, I’d love to hear about it too!

Happy shaves and stay safe everybody!
That would be all the razors in my current 6 razor rotation:

Feather AS-D2
Razorock Mamba 0.70
Tatara Masamune OC
ATT S1 (Mk1 end cap)
Karve C plate SB in brass
Colonial General v1 (stainless steel) SE

The Mamba is top dog, with the General second & not much to choose between the others.

Another vote for the Merkur Slant. I have a light/average beard, and rather thin skin in places, and rarely get any nicks or weepers (unless I push a Feather too far [BTW, I take blood thinners]). I routinely get a BBS with two passes and touchup.

I also find that it's not too demanding on blade angle, which is very helpful around the jawline and under the nose. ATG and blade-buffing on the funny spots are quick and smooth.

My go-to blade is Astra SP, but it works well with Feathers, Med Preps, Silver Blues and really anything I've loaded so far. I think it might be the fact that the blade is held very firmly, as well as the slant.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
OMG what a reply... I actually have nothing to say right now... Let me go over what you sent a few times, let it sink in, and maybe then I'll have something worth posting... or not!

Thank you very much for sharing all this knowlege with me and with all of us! Happy shaves and please do stay safe!

You're welcome.

Sometimes it takes more than 140 characters or less, but I have been known to write Novellas for posts haha.

"Maximum productivity with minimum wasted effort"... Exactly what I'm looking for right now... Some degree of comfort would not hurt at all, lol!

Once again, thank you for your post! Going to re-read it one more time after I'm done posting this!

About comfort. I found my most comfortable shaves with little to no blade gap, another reason I like Fatips. The NEW SC has .023" blade gap and if I need more than 3 passes with it I'll have irritation. My slim on 7 or 9 will leave my neck bright red if I need 3 passes, yet I can do 5 ATG passes with my Grande and have no irritation at all.

How the skin fills and flows through blade gap causes the skin to be pressed against the blades edge at a steeper angle. The larger the gap, the steeper the angle of edge to skin as it flows through that gap. That can also make a razor very effective, but as gap increases, so can irritation.

Last edited:
I love razors that feel mild yet are efficient. Here's my list in no particular order :

Wolfman WR1 & WR2
Razorock Lupo
Rocnel 2019 Aggressive
Paradigm 17-4
Haircut & Shave Co. # 75
Homelike Taiga adjustable
Gibbs adjustable
RAW Shaving RS-18
ATT SE-1
Timeless .95 SB
Razorock Gamechanger .84 SB

So far, for me the sweet spot is the AS-D2. I love the shave I get with my R41, but have to work way too hard to avoid neck rash. The AS-D2 gives me a solid DFS+, and sometimes better, with very little attention and never feels harsh. I know a lot of people have complained about finding the angle, but I've always liked to shave riding the cap, which seems to be what the AS-D2 likes as well.

M

member 119848

Being closely watching Timeless for a very long time. You really have to try hard to find anything negative written about them... Says a lot about the product and the company in my book.

I try to keep my razor purchases below a cool Benjamin, but that's just me... Idk, maybe when I grow up... Say 70-75 maybe? Lol! Their Alu offering is very tempting to me. The head seem a tad too tall for my tastes but I guess I would need to try it before drawing any conclusions... And I like light razors very much so Alu works for me

Your assesment of the bronze Timeless is perfectly in line with most of the reviews I've read and I'm happy that you enjoyed yours that much. I hope you two can be reunited very soon!

Happy shaves!
The reason why I sold the Timeless bronze was because Timeless had just released the Aluminum version, at the time when I started complaining that it was too heavy and it needed to be polished regularly to keep its shine. I have enjoyed efficient razors like the R41, but the R41 pulled my hair. The Fatip wasn´t that efficient nor super comfortable, and the finish just poorly executed. Timeless razors are just so enjoyable to use that they should logically be destination razors for anyone. The problem is that RAD is a real disorder!
I tend to be minimalist in life, so I have searched for "the one" during the past 3-4 years. The Aluminum checks all boxes, including the price tag.
If you like blade feel look into the bronze or aluminum offerings, otherwise the SS and Titanium.

I hope you find your destination razor.

Try Pearl SS-01 close comb. Chrome plated brass handle and zinc head. About 3.50 USD. I have been using it for over a month. It's very very safe and gives a good shave in 2-3 passes.

View attachment 1090678

That razor looks like an impossible deal to beat! I've read good things about Pearl razors, I'd prolly be more interested in the open comb version. Thank you very much for your tip!

That would be all the razors in my current 6 razor rotation:

Feather AS-D2
Razorock Mamba 0.70
Tatara Masamune OC
ATT S1 (Mk1 end cap)
Karve C plate SB in brass
Colonial General v1 (stainless steel) SE

The Mamba is top dog, with the General second & not much to choose between the others.

That is quite a rotation! Many good recommendations, lots to think about... Thank you very much for your feedback!

Top Bottom