What's new

Shaving head (Oster Classic 76, Wahl Balding) question

I am getting a bit tired of shaving my head with DE / Cartridge razor and for lazy times I have been considering a clipper.

What do people own that they'd recommend and how close can you shave with those ?

I've read so far of these two:

- Oster Classic 76 or Oster 10 with #00000 blade (0.2mm) or Andis Blade (0.1mm) ?
- Wahl Balding Clipper (not sure how low it cuts)

The balding clipper can be adjusted so the blade cuts as close as possible, while not irritating the skin. You can find instructions online for how to "zero" the blade. It will not be quite as close as a razor, but it will be quicker and you should not get irritation or ingrown hairs. The Wahl is supposed to cut 0.1 - 0.2mm without attachments. It is a specialized tool, not intended to be used as a regular hair clipper, though.

The balding clipper can be adjusted so the blade cuts as close as possible, while not irritating the skin. You can find instructions online for how to "zero" the blade. It will not be quite as close as a razor, but it will be quicker and you should not get irritation or ingrown hairs. The Wahl is supposed to cut 0.1 - 0.2mm without attachments. It is a specialized tool, not intended to be used as a regular hair clipper, though.

I googled the "zero gap", thanks.

Yeah since it's a specialized tool and not a regular hair clipper, I am thinking to go toward the Oster brand. I have two other clippers that are Wahl brand but none can or have blades that would shave that close. i think the closest they do is 1 or half, then I use a cartridge or DE razor.

I own a Wahl Balding Clipper. I would say it can leave you with something equal to 1-2 days of growth after shaving.

Before I switched to DE, I used an Oster Powerline (basically, a black Classic 76) with a 00000 0.2mm blade. Still have it for emergencies. Works well on any length hair and was designed to run all day in a barbershop, just keep it lubed. Go with the 76.

As far as speed goes a cartridge, is easier than any clipper. Cleaning up after a clipper shave is time consuming. I have found the Pit Bull head shaver by far the fastest and easiest way. I do mine in 90 seconds , and next to nothing to clean up. The Braun shaver is also good but a bit slower.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I used Wahl's professionally for years, then switched to Oster. Oster is better.

Late in my career I bought a small Andis for trimming necks and ear hair. Clients loved it. It's plenty close too, and it never bit anyone.

You think you hate shaving with a DE everyday? Wait until you spend 20 mins with a large unwieldy set of clippers on your dome with a power cord smacking you in the face, leaving an uneven cut for the first few months until you get used to it, then having to clean up all that hair that flew all around your bathroom.

If you want a glass smooth dome, use the gillette guard as it gives you the closeness and minimal irritation of a DE with the ease and speed of a cart. Another option is an electric. Many users like the skull shaver rotary models but I personally am a huge proponent of Brian and their foil shavers. The series 3 can be had very cheap and does a great job. We have a surprisingly large following for Electrics around here in the "modern shaving systems" section.

I was in a similar situation, it just took way too long to shave my head with a DE everyday. This resulted in a long rabbit hole of ERAD (Electric razor acquisition disorder) and guess what... I don't own any 'blade' razors/shavers anymore because of it! With my cheap Braun series 3 foil shaver I can get 99% of a BBS head and face shave (keep in mind, I can look like Bob Ross in 4-5 weeks if I chose to not shave) in less then 10 mins combined, totally dry with no prep, and absolutely no irritation.

Also, I assume everyone knows I meant "Braun" and not "Brian" above. Stupid spell check on my phone and I didn't catch it until I couldn't edit it

I use an Oster Fast Feed to keep my hair (whatever is left) very short. I have chosen the Fast Feed over the 76 model because Fast Feed is half the price of a 76 and is entirely capable of doing the same thing. Considering I am not in the business of cutting hair.
Now, when I bought my clipper, some 10 years ago, there were very few good quality cordless. Today, I would be tempted to buy a cordless rather than corded one.
That being said, I am very happy with my Oster Fast Feed, that requires little maintenance and is of great value to me.

Last edited:
I use an Oster Fast Feed to keep my hair (whatever is left) very short. I have chosen the Fast Feed over the 76 model because Fast Feed is half the price of a 76 and is entirely capable of doing the same thing. Considering I am not in the business of cutting hair.
Now, when I bought my clipper, some 10 years ago, there very few good quality cordless. Today, I would be tempted to buy a cordless rather than corded one.
That being said, I am very happy with my Oster Fast Feed, that requires little maintenance and is of great value to me.
Another problem with the 76 model, is the heavier weight , being a professional clipper.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Looked at a Wahl Balding Clipper, but went with a Wahl Five-Star Super Close instead. For the infrequent days when I need to have a shave but don't have time or inclination to do it the "right" way, it's amazing.

O.H.

I used to use the Oster T-Finisher. My sister in law is a stylist & that’s what she used to shave necks & neck lines for haircuts. Worked great, but I much prefer soap & a DE because it’s WAY cleaner. Hair stays in the lather & goes down the drain instead of all over the place using clippers.

A lot of great posts here!

For the time being I bought a Philips Norelco One Blade Face & Body, since most Wahl or Oster clippers + blades were 1-1.5 month away to ship from Amazon. I also read quite a bit of reviews on that Pitbull Skull Shaver...

The One Blade seems like a cheap Braun 3 series, but it's super light... it won't give BBS like a Cartridge or DE razor but it's close enough. I am using it every 2-3 days, and curious how many weeks each blade would last.

A lot of great posts here!

For the time being I bought a Philips Norelco One Blade Face & Body, since most Wahl or Oster clippers + blades were 1-1.5 month away to ship from Amazon. I also read quite a bit of reviews on that Pitbull Skull Shaver...

The One Blade seems like a cheap Braun 3 series, but it's super light... it won't give BBS like a Cartridge or DE razor but it's close enough. I am using it every 2-3 days, and curious how many weeks each blade would last.

Ive used the same one on my head many times. If I am just shaving my head with it the blades are toast after about 10 shaves tops (based off of performance, not their 'indicator strip') however that did work pretty well on my face and I was getting up to 40 face shaves before needing to change it. The hair on the back of my head is so dense and thick that it just bogs down the oneblade, I can alleviate this slightly with the use of water and thin lather but then I notice it misses hairs.

I'm happy the oneblade is working for you, and I always keep one around for quick clean up, neck line, etc, but I guarantee it will leave you wanting more especially as that blade starts to dull.

You want the Andis "trimmer" blade , which in essence is actually a 000000 blade. I use it on my 35 year old OSTER Classic 76 and Oster Classic 96 ( 220 volt )...... It will fit most all Oster and Andis full size clippers, not sure about Wahl... It will cut 50% closer than the 00000 blades from any manufacturer....
blade.JPG

You want the Andis "trimmer" blade , which in essence is actually a 000000 blade. I use it on my 35 year old OSTER Classic 76 and Oster Classic 96 ( 220 volt )...... It will fit most all Oster and Andis full size clippers, not sure about Wahl... It will cut 50% closer than the 00000 blades from any manufacturer....View attachment 1083771

I've seen many Oster classic 76 on Amazon and they have different casing, some are renewed (probably refurbished), does it matter which model you get w/ casing ? I was looking at the cheapest models...

Also should I get the Andis 1/150" blade only as extra or do I need the Oster #00000 1/125" as well ?

Last edited:
Ive used the same one on my head many times. If I am just shaving my head with it the blades are toast after about 10 shaves tops (based off of performance, not their 'indicator strip') however that did work pretty well on my face and I was getting up to 40 face shaves before needing to change it. The hair on the back of my head is so dense and thick that it just bogs down the oneblade, I can alleviate this slightly with the use of water and thin lather but then I notice it misses hairs.

I'm happy the oneblade is working for you, and I always keep one around for quick clean up, neck line, etc, but I guarantee it will leave you wanting more especially as that blade starts to dull.

10 shaves isn't much.... with 2-3 shaves per week, that's like 1 blade per month. And the cost will add up for these blades.

Did you let your hair grow a lot before shaving again or do it every other day ?

Top Bottom