What's new

How best to clean stainless steel DE razors?

I'm getting unhappy with the general gunkiness or at least non-newness of my Rockwell 6S and GC .84, both stainless steel. Running them under water after usage isn't cutting it. Is there a liquid product I can dump in a bowl and let them soak that'll get them back to that NIB condition or close to it? I don't really want to do detailed cleaning work on them; I'm hoping there's a solution I can submerge them in for a while and then wipe off.

Scrubbing Bubbles, once a week. Spray it on, let it sit a minute or so, sponge it off. Some people even use it on the shower tile.

This is spot on. I used to let my razors go too long between cleans. Now I do this before I pack them up which is usually weekly.

Being a Marine I have spent an inordinate amount of time cleaning things with toothbrushes. May not be the most fun use of my time but it's hard to argue with the results.

For us Europeans:
I had had to Google both Dawn and Scrubble Bubbles. As brandnames they seem to be particular to North America. Dawn is probably "Dreft" in the Netherlands, the other one I've no idea, but I'm not sure bathroomcleaners will differ much.

Now to OP's question: In addition to posts about what will work I'll add one I have tried which did not: ultrasonic cleaning. That white film of soap residu stayed right where it was, irrespective of whether I'd add dish washer or vinegar to the waterbath.
Bummer, I too like to bring a razor back to pristine once in a while. So if someone has used ultrasonic cleaning succesfully I would like to know the secret.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
So if someone has used ultrasonic cleaning succesfully I would like to know the secret.
ARMAKLEEN™ M-Aero

We have been using this at my workplace for decades, it is their recommended product for titanium alloys. I have cleaned many vintage razors with great results.

Practically any alkaline cleaner will work, the key is to keep the percentage around 5% or less, and use de-ionized water.

ARMAKLEEN[emoji769] M-Aero

We have been using this at my workplace for decades, it is their recommended product for titanium alloys. I have cleaned many vintage razors with great results.

Practically any alkaline cleaner will work, the key is to keep the percentage around 5% or less, and use de-ionized water.

Thanks a lot! I'll give that a try!

For us Europeans:
I had had to Google both Dawn and Scrubble Bubbles. As brandnames they seem to be particular to North America. Dawn is probably "Dreft" in the Netherlands, the other one I've no idea, but I'm not sure bathroomcleaners will differ much.

Now to OP's question: In addition to posts about what will work I'll add one I have tried which did not: ultrasonic cleaning. That white film of soap residu stayed right where it was, irrespective of whether I'd add dish washer or vinegar to the waterbath.
Bummer, I too like to bring a razor back to pristine once in a while. So if someone has used ultrasonic cleaning succesfully I would like to know the secret.

I put a tablespoon of Dawn in my ultrasonic and then run it with the heating element running. My ultrasonic is 160 watts and cleans all of my razors if they need it.

I'm getting unhappy with the general gunkiness or at least non-newness of my Rockwell 6S and GC .84, both stainless steel. Running them under water after usage isn't cutting it. Is there a liquid product I can dump in a bowl and let them soak that'll get them back to that NIB condition or close to it? I don't really want to do detailed cleaning work on them; I'm hoping there's a solution I can submerge them in for a while and then wipe off.
If you have a toothbrush handy just for cleaning your razor, it's really all you will need. It may seem like a hassle but in actual real time, it only takes 30 seconds to run the toothbrush through the razor under water. I do it after every use and never see any buildup at all. Paul h films has a great video on his routine. Every now and then use some dish soap if you like.

The Rockwell 6s is a great razor and will give you great results, just take good care of it. Maybe a drop of mineral oil on the threads too.

Barkeepers Friend powder. Will clean up stainless tea stains wo being too abrasive. Per directions, always keep it a wet slurry, very light pressure, and dont leave it on for more than a minute.

Top Bottom