What's new

How best to clean stainless steel DE razors?

I use isopropyl alcohol regularly and that helps to avoid any gunk build-up. Aside from the Dawn detergent mentioned previously, you can also dilute some vinegar with water and let it soak or use a toothbrush. Careful NOT to get vinegar in your eyes.

51ZP3hxM95L._AC_SY450_.jpg

This has been the best product I have found for the initial cleaning of crudded up razors - it's non abrasive and works quick. Scrubbing Bubbles works great too, but Miracle Cloth cleans soap scum and tarnish more effectively (DON'T use on gold plating!). I do a SB treatment after the MC, then finish with a detergent/hot water soak. A little Ballistol on the threads or down the neck of TTOs.

I have this stuff on hand to clean nickel/stainless frets on guitars, and it's the best product I've found for that. For razors it's the perfect amount of gentle cleaning before you jump to abrasives.

I live in area with hard water and use only hard soaps so I get pretty nasty buildup on my razors. When my Edwin Jagger needed a scrub I used SOFT toothbrush and toothpaste and it worked wonders to bring it back that shiny polished look. Didn't try it yet but I think the same will work on my Rockwell6S. I imagine any bathroom cleaning product aimed against limescale would be efficient enough but I prefer toothpaste

For us Europeans:
I had had to Google both Dawn and Scrubble Bubbles. As brandnames they seem to be particular to North America. Dawn is probably "Dreft" in the Netherlands, the other one I've no idea, but I'm not sure bathroomcleaners will differ much.

Now to OP's question: In addition to posts about what will work I'll add one I have tried which did not: ultrasonic cleaning. That white film of soap residu stayed right where it was, irrespective of whether I'd add dish washer or vinegar to the waterbath.
Bummer, I too like to bring a razor back to pristine once in a while. So if someone has used ultrasonic cleaning succesfully I would like to know the secret.
I think Dettol's anti bacterial bathroom foam is the same as scrubbing bubbles without the European banned chemicals......And fairy is like Dawn....

Top Bottom