What's new

In your opinion what's the best inexpensive shave soap?

If you can order your soap from Connaught's Shaving in the UK, you can save a lot and the cost of shipping is reasonable.

Here is a list of some of the lowest cost per shave soaps, based on my experience and also user reports in the forum:
  • Palmolive Stick
  • Arko Stick
  • Williams Mug
  • Godrej Shaving Round
  • Tabac refill or stick
  • Mitchell's Wool Fat refill
  • Pre de Provence puck in the tin
  • Cella kilo brick
  • 3P kilo brick
  • Vito's Super Coco kilo brick
  • TFS Red kilo brick

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I usually pay less than 10$ per puck or shave stick. 20$ would be special. 30$, I’m crazy but it’s something that won’t be mentioned to anyone. Above 30$, I’m out.

I tried a sample of Martin de Candre. Is it good? Yes, loved it. Am I ready to pay that price? No.

There are so many products available. Those products are often comparable to MdC. Eventually, you need to draw a line where you ask yourself: is there really something better than this?

If the soap that you have provides glide, protection, nice bubbles, you like the scent, what else could you get?

If MdC would be 20$ or 30$ I would buy it here and there.

I understand that I could buy that soap and it could last a very long time. It’s not the only soap like that. There are similar scented soap out there. As much as I want to buy some, it’s too expensive and I’m too cheap!

Absolutely! I would just like to reiterate that longevity can be an important factor when talking about price. MdC lasts me 13 months if I use it every day. I don't think a year's worth of $10 pucks will reach $50 - but they might come a lot closer than you think if you do the math.

Absolutely! I would just like to reiterate that longevity can be an important factor when talking about price. MdC lasts me 13 months if I use it every day. I don't think a year's worth of $10 pucks will reach $50 - but they might come a lot closer than you think if you do the math.
My experience of sticks is that while they may shave well, MDC and similar soaps are way better for my skin, and scent!

Really depends on how much you like the soap, how it performs and how long it lasts. ;)

Personally I think most wetshavers are taken on a ride by (mainly US) artisans. A lot of the soaps are insanely overpriced for how long they actually last and for what is in them. Yet I keep on reading how bad the value is for MdC or SV, soaps that last forever and perform at least to a similar level. But YMMV I suppose.

...Personally I think most wetshavers are taken on a ride by (mainly US) artisans. A lot of the soaps are insanely overpriced for how long they actually last and for what is in them. Yet I keep on reading how bad the value is for MdC or SV, soaps that last forever and perform at least to a similar level. But YMMV I suppose.
The actual cost per shave is something a lot of people here are interested in. It's been discussed quite a bit, though you have to look around to find it.

I'd estimate a container of MdC is about three times less expensive to use that Wholly Kaw Donkey Milk soap. On the other hand, MdC is about three time more expensive to use than Pre de Provence.

There are plenty of people here who get the point about cost per shave. It's more about value for money than cutting costs. Not everybody is onboard the artisan soap train.

It depends how much are you invested in the hobby (not just economically, but even emotionally/intellectually :001_rolle ) and how deep are your pockets.
For me, I'm OK spending $30/puck for SV, which lasts a long time, I wouldn't spend the same amount for some soft artisan soap that lasts 1/3 of SV.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This thread is proof to me that married folks need an "allowance" that they can spend anyway that they want to.

I am cheap; if I can buy used I will. Leaves me more of my allowance to "waste" on other used stuff, lol.

Money is now fixed since I'm retired. Not a lot of wiggle room, and it's nice to waste cash I've saved if I want to.

Can you imagine if I stumbled upon Arko somewhere at 10¢ a stick!

One 5.8 oz tub of Stirling lasts me longer than a year, so I think $1 for a month of shaves is pretty good, considering the great performance and scent choices.

I can get Williams for $1.20 at a local grocery store , so Stirling is not quite as cost-efficient as that because Williams can give me 60 shaves.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

One 5.8 oz tub of Stirling lasts me longer than a year, so I think $1 for a month of shaves is pretty good, considering the great performance and scent choices.
How many shaves in one year? I figured a 150gm puck would last around 150 shaves. What's your secret?
:confused2

Also, if you want to make soap last longer, use a lather bowl to mix it all beforehand. I got more passes of better lather, using less soap. I assume too much good stuff goes down the drain on that first pass of face lathering.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

If you can order your soap from Connaught's Shaving in the UK, you can save a lot and the cost of shipping is reasonable.

Here is a list of some of the lowest cost per shave soaps, based on my experience and also user reports in the forum:
  • Palmolive Stick
  • Arko Stick
  • Williams Mug
  • Godrej Shaving Round
  • Tabac refill or stick
  • Mitchell's Wool Fat refill
  • Pre de Provence puck in the tin
  • Cella kilo brick
  • 3P kilo brick
  • Vito's Super Coco kilo brick
  • TFS Red kilo brick

In this case, affordable means low cost per shave.
I don't think you can beat Arko for performance for the dollar if you don't mind the Ivory soap smell. Sticks are about $2.

A tube of Palmolive cream sells for about $6 and performs quite well. I like the menthol version.

Cella offers both good performance and a nice sweet-almond scent for about $10 a tub.

Stirling soaps perform very well, come in a million different scents, and only cost about $13 for a large tub.

I like to use budget soaps under $10 in my rotation. These 3 have worked well for me.

Haslinger
Arko
Cella

Have 3 other soaps at the house waiting to go in the rotation when I finish up a soap\cream.

They are Speick & Palmolive stick and a puck of CBL Tonsorial.

Hopefully I can add them to my list above after I try them.

Top Bottom