What's new

In your opinion what's the best inexpensive shave soap?

L'Occitane Cade costs a little more per puck than some of the other soaps mentioned here (about $14), but I can easily go six months of daily shaves with a single puck and often get eight months or more. If I used two pucks in a year, it was probably because I got bored and started using it as bath soap just for an excuse to use it up and try something else.

Bell Curve

A person interested in growing outside the bell curve should look at outliers in a field. Someone will be legitimately two or three standard deviations outside the average on both sides.

Any doubt in the legitimacy of a claim can be resolved by asking "How do you do that?" Start searching B&B, and you will find others are doing the same thing.

All it took in the Excalibur Club for shavers to start getting over 100 shaves/blade was for one person to do it in March 2015. Now, there are a few getting over 200 shaves/blade.

I have no interest in exaggerating stats. That's not science, and the scientific method is a passion of mine. What difference does it make what the "true" answer is? We all know the range of average is huge.

Besides, it's just shaving. It's not like it's something important like running

Last edited:
Bell Curve

A person interested in growing outside the bell curve should look at outliers in a field. Someone will be legitimately two or three standard deviations outside the average on both sides.

Any doubt in the legitimacy of a claim can be resolved by asking "How do you do that?" Start searching B&B, and you will find others are doing the same thing.

All it took in the Excalibur Club for shavers to start getting over 100 shaves/blade was for one person to do it in March 2015. Now, there are a few getting over 200 shaves/blade.

I have no interest in exaggerating stats. That's not science, and the scientific method is a passion of mine. What difference does it make what the "true" answer is? We all know the range of average is huge.

Besides, it's just shaving. It's not like it's something important like running
The Excalibur Club hero gets 20 or 40 times the average blade life from a blade that cost 8 to 12 cents. The Soap Champion gets two or three times the average number of passes per puck on a $1 Williams soap. I'm not sure I see the point other than bragging rights or some feeling of mastery. It seems like reverse snobbery to me.

There are people out there that do get a lot of shaves per blade & get a lot of shaves from a certain soap as well. I don't think they are showing off at all. My son gets about 30 shaves with the Dorco ST-300 blade which he loves that blade. He has very fine beard hairs though. YMMV applies here.

The Excalibur Club hero gets 20 or 40 times the average blade life from a blade that cost 8 to 12 cents. The Soap Champion gets two or three times the average number of passes per puck on a $1 Williams soap. I'm not sure I see the point other than bragging rights or some feeling of mastery. It seems like reverse snobbery to me.

I don't see the point in thinking it's about money every time someone mentions the Excalibur club or getting a lot of shaves from an inexpensive puck of soap. They are both a by product of excellent technique.

I don't see the point in thinking it's about money every time someone mentions the Excalibur club or getting a lot of shaves from an inexpensive puck of soap. They are both a by product of excellent technique.
It's not hard to understand why someone might think that way. Excellent technique in respect to shaving means getting consistently close shaves without cuts or irritation. How many shaves per blade or per soap is tangential to that main goal. Getting the most uses out of something is a technique of economy, though you seem to imply it has a bearing on shaving results. Maybe these "hypermiling" techniques are a form of sport, but I don't understand the connection to actual shaving results.

It's not hard to understand why someone might think that way. Excellent technique in respect to shaving means getting consistently close shaves without cuts or irritation. How many shaves per blade or per soap is tangential to that main goal. Getting the most uses out of something is a technique of economy, though you seem to imply it has a bearing on shaving results. Maybe these "hypermiling" techniques are a form of sport, but I don't understand the connection to actual shaving results.

Excellent technique in respect to shaving means getting consistently close shaves without cuts or irritation.

We agree on this definition. I log even a tiny speck of blood drawn. I get a little blood about once in every 40 shaves. I don't recall the last time I needed toilet paper or alum.

I suggest reading all the posts in the Excalibur Club and following the various techniques. Then you will understand the connection from experience. Learning the connection from reading is impossible.

My current blade has 26 shaves on one edge. Darned if I know which edge though. I dropped the blade when I was flipping it, and I can't tell the difference between the edges. There is no way for anyone to believe that can happen until they experience it.

I suggest reading all the posts in the Excalibur Club and following the various techniques. Then you will understand the connection from experience. Learning the connection from reading is impossible.
I'm open to experimentation, but isn't there a summary of the techniques somewhere? There are over 3,400 posts in that thread, 172 pages to wade through. No one can explain what to do more concisely?

This might be a good opportunity to compose one or two of your 150-word essays.
:biggrin1:

I'm open to experimentation, but isn't there a summary of the techniques somewhere? There are over 3,400 posts in that thread, 172 pages to wade through. No one can explain what to do more concisely?

Sure.

Ultra-light touch.

Ride the top cap (Some people ride the safety bar).

Cuts are caused by too much pressure.

Tugging is caused by too steep an angle.

Irritation is caused by too many passes, too steep an angle, and too much pressure.

If you get a cuts or tugging, it's the user, not the blade. Try another couple shaves focusing on technique.

Discard a blade when it stops cutting whiskers efficiently.

Don't accept a lower quality shave to get more shaves on a blade.

Everyone's potential is different.
A very few people can only get 10 or 20 shaves/blade.

Probably most people can get over 100 after a couple years of practice with no loss in shave quality.

Any sharp blade will do. Not too sharp, like the Feather.

You can move the blade to a more aggressive razor to get more shaves at the end.

Use a thin layer of a slick soap like Williams

Extra credit:
Shave with one edge until it stops shaving efficiently. Then use the other edge.
No stropping needed. It may damage the blade.

My addition: Learn to do one pass with soap and the rest with residual slickness.

Sure.

Ultra-light touch.

Ride the top cap (Some people ride the safety bar).

Cuts are caused by too much pressure.

Tugging is caused by too steep an angle.

Irritation is caused by too many passes, too steep an angle, and too much pressure.

If you get a cuts or tugging, it's the user, not the blade. Try another couple shaves focusing on technique.

Discard a blade when it stops cutting whiskers efficiently.

Don't accept a lower quality shave to get more shaves on a blade.

Everyone's potential is different.
A very few people can only get 10 or 20 shaves/blade.

Probably most people can get over 100 after a couple years of practice with no loss in shave quality.

Any sharp blade will do. Not too sharp, like the Feather.

You can move the blade to a more aggressive razor to get more shaves at the end.

Use a thin layer of a slick soap like Williams

Extra credit:
Shave with one edge until it stops shaving efficiently. Then use the other edge.
No stropping needed. It may damage the blade.

My addition: Learn to do one pass with soap and the rest with residual slickness.
Good, I've discovered a few of these independently, like moving a blade from one razor to another as it wears. I'll check out the Excalibur Club posts a bit at a time.

You may or may not have excellent technique. The reason you get by with many shaves per blade and many shaves per puck is that your beard type and skin type allow you to get by with a one pass shave most of the time.

Those are my picks for great shave soaps for a cheap price. Pretty sure they overlap with the original poster.

RazoRock occasionally puts their 'What the Puck' on sale, where you get a set of all three scents for $5.99 or $6.99. At around $2.00-$3.00 a puck, it's a great deal, for a excellent performing soap. Unlike most of their soaps, What the Puck is triple milled, lasts a long time, and has really good performance. (I feel it's one of their best soaps, and I've used P160, XXX, Mudder Focker, and several others).

I admit that I've never tried Arko, Derby, or Speik to compare.

You may or may not have excellent technique. The reason you get by with many shaves per blade and many shaves per puck is that your beard type and skin type allow you to get by with a one pass shave most of the time.

That's what everyone says when they don't believe the hundreds of shavers in the Excalibur Club with a different experience.

That's what everyone says when they don't believe the hundreds of shavers in the Excalibur Club with a different experience.

You were the one who said that most of your shaves only involved a single pass. If you were doing 4 pass shaves like I am, I doubt you would be getting 50 shaves from a single blade.

As you stated earlier, some shavers fall outside the 95% confidence limits of the bell curve. You are on one end of that curve; I am on the opposite end.

Top Bottom