What's new

Mailing lithium batteries from overseas hack!

Just received these auction-purchased lithium batteries, packed in Kodak film boxes, from Taiwan!
Perhaps a tactic to avoid extra air shipment costs or restrictions, I wonder?

IMG_5078.jpg

Till the person shipping them gets busted a 20000 dollar fine and jail time the reason lithium isn’t shipped by air because it can kill people ie the people in the plane, they use passenger planes to ship mail Nowa days so it’s really not safe. imagine if them bats exploded mid air y’all be screwed.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I had breakfast a couple of weeks ago with a FedEx pilot that had a lithium battery fire in the cargo hold of his plane.

Doubt that he would be amused.

You can still ship lithium batteries, they just ned to be shipped and declared correctly.

I had breakfast a couple of weeks ago with a FedEx pilot that had a lithium battery fire in the cargo hold of his plane.

Doubt that he would be amused.

You can still ship lithium batteries, they just ned to be shipped and declared correctly.

+1

Ah, I don't know how deep you are into flashlights (I am not) and Lithium batteries (these I am kind of deep due to being a vaper for many years), as a general rule I avoid any xxxfire brand for batteries, since most of the time they are not true to specs.
Which is kind of dangerous if you take into account their exagerating Amperage rating.
For 14500 cell size I would go for AWT, AW or Orbtronic/Keepower (Sanyo-Panasonic) cells.

Just received these auction-purchased lithium batteries, packed in Kodak film boxes, from Taiwan!
Perhaps a tactic to avoid extra air shipment costs or restrictions, I wonder?

View attachment 1056203

You really should report the seller for this sort of crap. It is incredibly irresponsible and dangerous of them to do this. They are, quite literally, putting people's lives at risk to save a few bucks in paperwork and shipping costs. Scummy is the LEAST pejorative word I can think of.

My apologies if my previous post seems overly angry. I work in logistics for a global chemical supplier and deal with shipping stuff even worse than LiB products by air. The rules and regs are not that hard to follow, the cost is not prohibitive for those w/o the training (hell, Fedex will do it for you at their depots). But there is a reason these batteries are restricted to a "cargo aircraft only" designation.

You really should report the seller for this sort of crap. It is incredibly irresponsible and dangerous of them to do this. They are, quite literally, putting people's lives at risk to save a few bucks in paperwork and shipping costs. Scummy is the LEAST pejorative word I can think of.

actually did so.
the auction site said they would review internally but that i really should report it to usps instead!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Where do you even GET a box for film these days?! :eek2:

And yeah; the Ultrafire are not great batteries. I have a few in 18650; they weigh half what a good 18650 cell weighs.

I would never charge one unsupervised, but that's just me.

"Air Disasters" had an episode on this ... UPS flight out of Dubai had a fire. The heroic crew perished.

AA

Y
might be because they cant ex ray camera films so they may be trying to hide them that way to avoid detection .
eah but even the bats won’t get s ray ether they could pop in the machine like imagine over charging a batt it will pop if you charger domes stop

actually did so.
the auction site said they would review internally but that i really should report it to usps instead!
So report the seller to the NTSB, and allow them to alert US air carriers. Because that sure as hell did not get into the USPS system until it landed on the West coast. That means it likely flew on a passenger aircraft.

Where do you even GET a box for film these days?! :eek2:

And yeah; the Ultrafire are not great batteries. I have a few in 18650; they weigh half what a good 18650 cell weighs.

I would never charge one unsupervised, but that's just me.

"Air Disasters" had an episode on this ... UPS flight out of Dubai had a fire. The heroic crew perished.

AA

Sir AA, what battery would you suggest? Mine are 14500's. Or do I trash the flashlights?

And, back in 2015 I actually happened to be at same lodge with the UPS regional manager in charge of that ill-fated cargo flight; the crash report had come out earlier and he provided a full, somber description of the tragedy.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Sir AA, what battery would you suggest? Mine are 14500's. Or do I trash the flashlights?

And, back in 2015 I actually happened to be at same lodge with the UPS regional manager in charge of that ill-fated cargo flight; the crash report had come out earlier and he provided a full, somber description of the tragedy.
PM sent!

AA

Disappearing flight MH370 had over 200 kg of newly manufactured lithium batteries in the cargo hold. That being a contributor to the "incident" has been "debunked", but airlines are still don't want them in checked luggage. Rightfully so, but the way airlines treat them makes one wonder if they are more dangerous than flying public knows.

Top Bottom