What's new

What was your last “new” shave purchase?

Hey gents. What was the last shave product you guys bought that you had never used before? (Be it a new blade, razor, soap, aftershave, brush, brush stand, shave bowl, etc.) And, are you glad you purchased that particular item, or are you suffering from buyers remorse? Let’s hear your thoughts. I figured this could be a fun discussion. My last “new” purchase was my 1961 NOS 195 adjustable “fat boy”. I love this razor as much as my 1946 Gillette aristocrat, and in some ways more so. It’s a real game changer in my den.

My Wolfman WR2 SB razor.

wolfman razor.jpg

I’m sure that razor is worth every penny. But I must ask out of curiosity. What exactly do you get with a high end razor like that, that you can’t get from a new old stock vintage razor? Is it the craftsmanship, a truly elite shave, maybe the rarity? Again, I’m just curious what The thought process is behind it. It is a very very gorgeous razor too by the way.

Actually, I have a number of vintage razors. I have a Gillette 195 adjustable now known as a Fat Boy that I bought for $1.95 when I first started shaving. Since then I have purchased a number of vintage razors including a Red Tip, Aristocrat, etc.

Why this razor? The craftsmanship is incredible. To me, it is a piece of art. The shave is the best of any of my razors. It's the same reason why a lady may spend $2,000 for a Louis Vuitton handbag or a man spend $6,000+ for a Rolex watch, etc.

Not sure if this counts, but my most recent purchase (that I received) was getting my Karve brass plated. It's fantastic. Recent purchase that I haven't received is a custom brush handle from Dogwood Handcrafts.

My most recent new razor purchase was a ATT Atlas M1. Great shaves! And Stirling Sharp Dressed Man shave soap, sample Eau de Cologne same scent, Unscented After shave balm, sample Eau de Cologne of Executive Man and Stirling Synthetic 26MM brush (Barber handle).

Last edited:
Not sure if this counts, but my most recent purchase (that I received) was getting my Karve brass plated. It's fantastic. Recent purchase that I haven't received is a custom brush handle from Dogwood Handcrafts.
Of course it counts! Gotta keep it good for all the miles it is about to work through!

Most recently, a restock for this year's sabbatical....plus a couple goodies.
A RR SLOC, a few tucks of blades, four splashes, and three soaps.
Only thing I've tried is a couple of the blades. I'm not impressed, but no remorse. Ten Shaverboys for $5; I can get better shaves from multiple other blades at a fraction of the cost, but hey, it was only five bucks.

Most recently, a restock for this year's sabbatical....plus a couple goodies.
A RR SLOC, a few tucks of blades, four splashes, and three soaps.
Only thing I've tried is a couple of the blades. I'm not impressed, but no remorse. Ten Shaverboys for $5; I can get better shaves from multiple other blades at a fraction of the cost, but hey, it was only five bucks.
Hit or miss. I’m thinking about switching from Gillette 7 o’clock greens over to Gillette silver blues.

I picked up a Feather SS Artist Club shavette with Feather Artist Club Pro blades. I get great shaves without the maintenance requirements of a traditional straight razor. I quite like it, it has won a spot on my ready line - joining my 1912 SE & 1934 Aristocrat DE.

Recently bought a Feather Artist Club SS kamisori, Simpson chubby 2 synthetic brush & Rex Ambassador Adjustable DE razor.
Love all my purchases so far but it drain my bank account! 😅

Top Bottom