What's new

Flat Caps

Thanks, Badgerstate. Yeah, isn't a big deal. I've decided to toss my flat caps, and just be bald. The reason I did this was to make myself ugly to get my girlfriend to calm down, and it hasn't work. She's hopping mad every time a women even glances at me, which hard for them not to do. I look like a Hollywood movie star, and I'm not joking.

As far as my girlfriend goes, I'm dumping her before she dumps me. I've only had 2 girls dump me in my life, and i won't let her be the third.

Anyway, I guess have no more reason to post on this thread. I give it back to Shave Brush.
Woah, sorry to hear that, bro.

Checked out their site, thanks.
the Helmsley I’d quite like I think.
reasonable price point to, unless they ding you on import

Woah, sorry to hear that, bro.
I had a wonderful clothing store for many years, where I noticed that women who try to make their men dull and unattractive are invariably controlling. Most of us would respond better to a "loose rein". I know it can be a bore having movie star looks. I have also suffered from it. Get your caps out of the bin and wear them with pride. You don't want a control freak anyway. I got married in a flat cap, though I took it off in church!

I love my Donegal caps. I also have an obsession with berets. :biggrin1:
Last newsboy cap purchase was the green Molloy & Sons Donegal Tweed from Gamble and Gunn in the UK

Last edited:
I have been looking at the Gamble & Gunn caps for the last month[emoji16].
Hoxton Blocks also makes some nice caps, also made in the UK.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have been looking at the Gamble & Gunn caps for the last month[emoji16].
Hoxton Blocks also makes some nice caps, also made in the UK.

I don't think Gamble & Gunn are manufacturers. I don't think they claim to be. They describe themselves as designers.

I would imagine some vendors use multiple suppliers. when I was looking at one of Tenth Street Hats’ hats called Waterford (iirc), in the browser url was Stetson-Ivy. Nothing about it being a Stetson in the description.

It appears that Hoxton Blocks uses Harris Tweed for some of their caps, don’t have a clue what they use in other instances.
Harris Tweed is not the best nowadays. It is much too loosely woven. I once had a Harris Tweed jacket of my father's, which was made in about 1948. The tweed it was made from was totally different from the modern stuff, and it wore much better.

Glad to hear it. Lawrence & Foster in Yorkshire. They have a decent website I think. I like a Saxony tweed best, but they even use beautiful gray flannel & cashmere.

Having looked at the Lawrence & Foster website, I am very tempted. The pricing seems reasonable. Shipping to the USA is not inexpensive and getting the sizing right is a concern.

When my hair is cut short, my Borsalino Doria is a good close fit in a 61. So maybe a 62 in an L&F? Anybody here have experience with both Borsalino and L&F?

Having looked at the Lawrence & Foster website, I am very tempted. The pricing seems reasonable. Shipping to the USA is not inexpensive and getting the sizing right is a concern.

When my hair is cut short, my Borsalino Doria is a good close fit in a 61. So maybe a 62 in an L&F? Anybody here have experience with both Borsalino and L&F?
The sizing of L & F is accurate and doesn't alter noticeably, but the bigger eight-piece shapes need a bit of panning in if a decent tweed is chosen. 59 = 7 1/4 60= 7 3/8 & 61= 7 1/2. I have always favored the biggest eight-piece, but it goes by a variety of names and I have been called a variety of names while wearing one!!!! (Only kidding)

I just read in a cap cleaning article (I was doing it right), to help keep clean, and this can also snug a loose fit a little...fold and place some paper (or other) toweling or fabric behind the band.

It's the eight panel style for me. I have several but the Harris Tweed multi colour is my favourite. It goes with anything

Oddly enough, my head measures 23.5" or 7 1/2 a perfect 60. I only have one cap that fits great without a spacer. I have seen different charts call 23.5" either 7 1/2 or 7 5/8. Maybe I have an odd shape head.

Irish hats seem to be larger than most of the other manufacturers.

Top Bottom