What's new

Zenith, A Horse of a Different Color!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Guilty as charged.
Comparing a Zenith horse brush with one made by Vie Long its like comparing a Mercedes Benz with a rusty moped. I find my Vie Long brushes to be an insult to horses.

Thank you, Arne, for convincing me that this particular Zenith horsehair brush would be worth trying. You were absolutely correct.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend your brush. There are good mopeds too.

I was thinking more:
$_86.jpeg

It's my first brush after all lol.

Just for the record I don't know anything about horsehair brushes. I know a little something about my one horsehair brush but maybe it's unusual.

View attachment 994121

Not too long ago I thought anyone using a horsehair brush was ignorant. Everybody said horsehair brushes tangle like crazy.

upload_2019-5-29_15-5-43-jpeg.985393

There's even a thread on how to untangle horsehair brushes.

This is my very favorite piece-of-advice posting because it sums up what seems to be generally believed about horsehair brushes.

People say.
  • They're floppy.
  • They have no backbone.
  • They are worse than anything if you swirl on the puck, or swirl in a bowl, or face-lather.
  • They shed.
  • They tangle.
  • They get knots in the knot.
  • Worse, they smell bad!
  • They're sort of between boars and badgers but more floppy than either and not soft.
Why bother with a horsehair brush?

View attachment 994132

Not to mention Anthrax!

No, I'm not kidding about Anthrax.
Here's a link.

View attachment 994145

The good thing was I already had a very nice pet comb for brushes. Tangles would flee when I carried this baby from China which cost me $1.67 including shipping. Stainless steel it is. Click it.

proxy.php

Sometime in May I read a post which convinced me the Zenith extra soft horsehair brush might be worth a spin. I've looked for the post, but can't find it, and apologize to the member for not crediting him here.

I ordered my Zenith from Spain after deciding on a handle shape I'd been wanting to try.

View attachment 994135

The knot in real life is black and goes great with the beautiful ergonomic handle. It might be my favorite handle.

I've found the knot to be amazingly fun to use and loaded with paradox. It is floppy, but somehow it has a lot of scrub when I mash it into my face. Swirled on the puck it doesn't look like it's picking up much soap, but it lathers like crazy. It's great for painting, but it's also wonderful splayed to make lather foamy and creamy. It'll hold a lot of water, but releases water perfectly. It is very much a lather monster, but not a lather hog.

It also has a little bit of what I call good scritch, but that disappears when I mash the brush into my skin. I do not baby the brush at all. Actually, I'm hard on it like I am with all brushes; it is dried by mashing it into a towel in the same way I dry all brushes, etc.

Yes, my brush smelled a little funky before I washed it once or twice. Big deal? Not at all.

View attachment 994137

Will the Zenith extra soft horsehair brush replace my boars and badgers? No. It is simply another option, but it's an option I like a lot. In fact, I'm finding myself reaching for it much too often for the good of my rotation. In other words, it has very quickly found a place in the small group of brushes I most favor.

Perhaps I'll buy another horse, but why? It would be simply out of curiosity or to get a better handle. I don't think there is a better handle and I'm not curious about other horses. The one I have would be very hard to beat I think so why bother?

I might perhaps consider a Zenith horse in a copper handle to go with my boar and Manchurian, but that would not be because that's a favorite handle. It's not. I like the copper handle fine, but I like the black handle on the horse better.

View attachment 994140

Are all horsehair brushes as great as mine? I doubt it. Very seriously doubt it. Gentlemen writing negative things about horse brushes are not getting paid to badmouth them!

View attachment 994144

I'm going to hold my breath until Zenith sends me a nice fat check for my review.

Once again, my entire experience with horsehair brushes is limited to one Zenith brush, but you asked a question. Perhaps other guys who know something about horsehair brushes, particularly these Zeniths, will chime in.

I'll be happy to tell you more, but I'm not sure what else there it. It's a good brush, but I'm not saying anyone needs one. You know me. I'm into brushes.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Great post, I enjoyed reading your experience with the Zenith horse. I have a Vie -Long horse that I really enjoy, so I guess that puts me in a small group here at B&B. Now I may have to look into a Zenith horse, you are such an enabler :lol:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I use this brush a good little bit and like using it a lot.

12-14-19.SolidComfort.DB.Horse.Kit.640.JPG

Every time I use my Zenith Extra Soft Horse brush it amazes me. It's a really nice brush. Pretty much everything I wrote in the OP stands without modification except now I've used it many more times. There is nothing to dislike about the brush. It really is one of my favorites. I even love the particularly unique way it is floppy; paradoxically it has great scrub.

Another nice and noteworthy observation is how easily rinsed the brush is. Probably because it is not dense. However, once again, that is not a drawback.

It is a brush which challenges many brush conventions and myths.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Just for the record I don't know anything about horsehair brushes. I know a little something about my one horsehair brush but maybe it's unusual.

View attachment 994121

Not too long ago I thought anyone using a horsehair brush was ignorant. Everybody said horsehair brushes tangle like crazy.

This is my very favorite piece-of-advice posting because it sums up what seems to be generally believed about horsehair brushes.

People say.
  • They're floppy.
  • They have no backbone.
  • They are worse than anything if you swirl on the puck, or swirl in a bowl, or face-lather.
  • They shed.
  • They tangle.
  • Worse, they smell bad!
  • They're sort of between boars and badgers but more floppy than either and not soft.

View attachment 994132

Not to mention Anthrax!

No, I'm not kidding about Anthrax.
Here's a link.

View attachment 994145

The good thing was I already had a very nice pet comb for brushes. Tangles would flee when I carried this baby from China which cost me $1.67 including shipping. Stainless steel it is. Click it.

proxy.php

Sometime in May I read a post which convinced me the Zenith extra soft horsehair brush might be worth a spin. I've looked for the post, but can't find it, and apologize to the member for not crediting him here.

I ordered my Zenith from Spain after deciding on a handle shape I'd been wanting to try.

View attachment 994135

The knot in real life is black and goes great with the beautiful ergonomic handle. It might be my favorite handle.

I've found the knot to be amazingly fun to use and loaded with paradox. It is floppy, but somehow it has a lot of scrub when I mash it into my face. Swirled on the puck it doesn't look like it's picking up much soap, but it lathers like crazy. It's great for painting, but it's also wonderful splayed to make lather foamy and creamy. It'll hold a lot of water, but releases water perfectly. It is very much a lather monster, but not a lather hog.

It also has a little bit of what I call good scritch, but that disappears when I mash the brush into my skin. I do not baby the brush at all. Actually, I'm hard on it like I am with all brushes; it is dried by mashing it into a towel in the same way I dry all brushes, etc.

Yes, my brush smelled a little funky before I washed it once or twice. Big deal? Not at all.

View attachment 994137

Will the Zenith extra soft horsehair brush replace my boars and badgers? No. It is simply another option, but it's an option I like a lot. In fact, I'm finding myself reaching for it much too often for the good of my rotation. In other words, it has very quickly found a place in the small group of brushes I most favor.

Perhaps I'll buy another horse, but why? It would be simply out of curiosity or to get a better handle. I don't think there is a better handle and I'm not curious about other horses. The one I have would be very hard to beat I think so why bother?

I might perhaps consider a Zenith horse in a copper handle to go with my boar and Manchurian, but that would not be because that's a favorite handle. It's not. I like the copper handle fine, but I like the black handle on the horse better.

View attachment 994140

Are all horsehair brushes as great as mine? I doubt it. Very seriously doubt it. Gentlemen writing negative things about horse brushes are not getting paid to badmouth them!

View attachment 994144

I'm going to hold my breath until Zenith sends me a nice fat check for my review.

Once again, my entire experience with horsehair brushes is limited to one Zenith brush, but you asked a question. Perhaps other guys who know something about horsehair brushes, particularly these Zeniths, will chime in.

I'll be happy to tell you more, but I'm not sure what else there it. It's a good brush, but I'm not saying anyone needs one. You know me. I'm into brushes.

Happy shaves,

Jim
What a great thread Jim! Brilliant.

How can you order straight from the factory?
I was trying to figure that out and decided to look around the Pennellificio Pandolfo website.

I don't speak Italian, so Google Translate to the rescue. It reveals the contact page ("Contatti") and a few info boxes about custom items. They state that if you want a quote, then you should get in touch via the contact form, send them an e-mail ([email protected]), or give them a phone call (+39 091 6259193).

I wonder if they speak English...

I have a little Cremo horse hair that I got last Christmas as part of a Cremo gift pack, and I really like it. I've never had a problem with tangling, nor did it stink out of the box. Now, having seen that American style brush, I want one :07:

View attachment 994121

People say.
  • They're floppy.
  • They have no backbone.
  • They shed.
  • They tangle.
  • Worse, they smell bad!

View attachment 994132

Not to mention Anthrax!

No, I'm not kidding about Anthrax. Here's a link.

View attachment 994145

proxy.php

View attachment 994135

View attachment 994137

View attachment 994140

View attachment 994144

Happy shaves,

Jim

I use this brush a good little bit and like using it a lot.

View attachment 1043536

Every time I use my Zenith Extra Soft Horse brush it amazes me. It's a really nice brush. Pretty much everything I wrote in the OP stands without modification except now I've used it many more times. There is nothing to dislike about the brush. It really is one of my favorites. I even love the particularly unique way it is floppy; paradoxically it has great scrub.

Another nice and noteworthy observation is how easily rinsed the brush is. Probably because it is not dense. However, once again, that is not a drawback.

It is a brush which challenges many brush conventions and myths.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Hey Jim I just got my XL Zenith Horse Brush Pro Model 28x51 in the mail minutes ago. I wanted a horse because I’ve also read that it is a brush that lies between badger and boar. I have a Zenith Chubby Scrubby boar and a Semogue 2000 with a pro 48 on the way. I love breaking in brushes (I don’t know why). The first thing I did with the horse is two cold water hand lathers with Dawn dish detergent which cleaned and rinsed out the dirt or dust in the brush. (the only time I’ve seen dirt come out of a new brush ). Two cold water hand lathers with cella and then towel work and lovingly mash until dry. Placed the dry brush in a jar of cold water just below the knot in the back of the refrigerator. I found a significant improvement thus far compared to my boars that I broke in. (in so much as being considerably softer and more pliable then the boars) I will remove from the refrigerator in 24 hrs and do towel work until dry and then two more cella hand lathers towel till dry and back into the refrigerator for a second day. After the second day I expect to have enough splits in the brush for an inaugural run. I find that whenever I’m in the bathroom (shave den) I will reach for a brush and a towel and go to town splitting ends on a brush until I’m happy with it. Is your break in routine similar to mine?

9385F727-9ED3-4B33-BBBD-AD1FA991F6CD.jpeg

The chubby before breaking it in. I really enjoy your posts Jim.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hey Jim I just got my XL Zenith Horse Brush Pro Model 28x51 in the mail minutes ago...The chubby before bI really enjoy your posts Jim.

Thanks.

I don't recall breaking this brush in, but just washing it. It was dirty and smelled horsey, but cleaned up pretty easily as I remember. I just used it after that.

I break in some boars much like you describe. Some don't much need it (Zenith bleached boars, Mondials).

I have and like the Chubby Scrubby, too.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today I was impressed with just how floppy this brush is. It's World Class Floppy!

Still, it performs very well for face lathering. It splays nicely, too, in a weird way.

1-4-20.BokerTree-ExtaH.G.DB.Z-Horse.640JPG.JPG

This Zenith extra soft horse brush in my view of it is simply a horse of a different color. It can't be well compared with a badger or a boar. It's its own thing. I like it very very much.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom