What's new

Boycott a Product ?

Boycotts work. Back in 1977, Sears charged my card twice for a refrigerator. It took months to straighten it out. I never bought anything else from them. They finally went bankrupt. The refrigerator is still working.

Did anyone mention Starbucks? I detest that place. I will never give them a dime. I used to go there once a year to get their Christmas CD and when the quit carrying CDs.. That was it for me. 😆 I don't go to Wal-Mart, I cut my cable, and don't watch sports. However, I don't think my personal actions constitute a boycott, which is usually something organized among masses of people. I don't eat fast food or drink soda, either.
I know a few people who boycotted Starbucks because of the arrest of the two black guys in the Philadelphia Starbucks, last year. I applaud the principle of it. But, I also wonder if it was warranted because the real issue seems to be racist employees at that particular Starbucks rather than an engrained racist attitude within the whole company.

Or has it been shown that Starbucks actually has racist policies? I don't remember how that turned out. Also, I haven't been in a Starbucks since 1991 when I stopped drinking coffee (for medical reasons, not a boycott).

Boycotts work. Back in 1977, Sears charged my card twice for a refrigerator. It took months to straighten it out. I never bought anything else from them. They finally went bankrupt. The refrigerator is still working.

LOL... in the 90s Sears changed the terms of their charge card to include raising your rate, if you were one day past due. They mailed statements 14 days prior to the due date, so if you were on vacation when the statement came in, you were screwed.

Sears also reported accounts as being paid 30 days later than they were. Almost everyone had a Sears account in their credit report. That’s not true today.

I stopped buying from them too. They were an economic rock. They aren’t now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know a few people who boycotted Starbucks because of the arrest of the two black guys in the Philadelphia Starbucks, last year. I applaud the principle of it. But, I also wonder if it was warranted because the real issue seems to be racist employees at that particular Starbucks rather than an engrained racist attitude within the whole company.

Or has it been shown that Starbucks actually has racist policies? I don't remember how that turned out. Also, I haven't been in a Starbucks since 1991 when I stopped drinking coffee (for medical reasons, not a boycott).

Interesting
I thought Starbucks responded to that incident quickly and appropriately. Alas I didn’t track it intently because the facts of that particular story were ambiguous to me.
A little factoid for ya...
Here in Houston we have a Starbucks across the street from a Starbucks

I thought Starbucks responded to that incident quickly and appropriately. Alas I didn’t track it intently because the facts of that particular story were ambiguous to me.
Yeah, I couldn't recall what happened because of a faulty memory (... getting old, apparently), so I searched for more information about it. There's a rundown in this Philadelphia Inquirer news article: One year later: A timeline of controversy and progress since the Starbucks arrests seen ’round the world

Sounds like Starbucks still has some issues to sort out. Therefore, people who are boycotting the company might be justified in continuing to do so.

Since I drink instant coffee, and brew my own when feeling fancy, I raise eyebrows at going to a place like Starbucks to get the same thing at higher prices. Be that as it may, what happens in a franchise is usually dependent on that particular store and not the entire company. There is a certain fast food joint I'll never go to again due to employee rudeness, but I know that's a problem only at that particular restaurant. I'm willing to go to that franchise in another town.

Come to think of it, I'm that way about another particular restaurant that's part of another franchise. A mild case of food poisoning will do that to you.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Timor are German. They are mind blowing good. :001_wub:
002_25.jpg

I do boycott companies. If I feel they do shady business or treat me poorly it's a given I won't purchase any of their products. It has nothing to do with getting the company to change (I could care less if they do or not)....it has everything to do with choosing to put my money into the hands of people that are/aren't worthy of it.

I do boycott companies. If I feel they do shady business or treat me poorly it's a given I won't purchase any of their products. It has nothing to do with getting the company to change (I could care less if they do or not)....it has everything to do with choosing to put my money into the hands of people that are/aren't worthy of it.

It has everything to do with being right with yourself.

There are a number of organizations and businesses that no longer see my money.

Anytime an individual, organization, business or entity draws a line in the sand, there are repercussions.

Way off topic but any who...

The talk of Starbucks (not a fan for several reasons, gimme Dunkin') reminds me of a coulda, woulda, shoulda.

My college roommate back in the '70's in Dallas was from Tacoma, Washington and me from the midwest. He mentioned once, "Odd how there aren't any coffee shops around here. Back home there is some coffee shop on nearly every corner." I told him, "You mean a pancake house type restaurant?" He corrected me, "Nope, just coffee and maybe some pastries by the register, that's all. There is one chain that has probably twenty locations called Starbucks." I said, "Huh, Starbucks what a curious name."

Fun fact: The name of the chain comes from a character in the novel Moby Dick. He was first mate if I recall and loved his coffee throughout the novel. His name was Starbuck. Note that the company logo has a nautical look to it, this is why. Seriously.

One morning , while in the kitchen, I thought I smelled mildewed socks. I went to the laundry room looking for the offending items. As I got closer to the utility room, the smell grew fainter.

I went back to the kitchen and the odor was strongest by the coffee maker. So I asked my wife what type of coffee she was brewing. She said Starbucks. I don’t touch the stuff!

I boycott all badger hair brushes because of cruel badger farming methods in China

It is only with great reluctance that I buy Japanese mad products due to the horrific treatment of my grandparents in Singapore by the Japanese during WW2

Wont allow fur products in my home.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I boycott all badger hair brushes because of cruel badger farming methods in China

It is only with great reluctance that I buy Japanese mad products due to the horrific treatment of my grandparents in Singapore by the Japanese during WW2

Thanks for posting this. May we NEVER forget.

Ya got 'em...
Ya got 'em good!

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Fun fact: The name of the chain comes from a character in the novel Moby Dick. He was first mate if I recall and loved his coffee throughout the novel. His name was Starbuck. Note that the company logo has a nautical look to it, this is why. Seriously.
Seriously, the story I heard was the owner liked the character named Starbuck on the TV series Battlestar Galactica.

I prefer the fresh brewed coffee from pretty much any mom-and-pop donut shop like Rainbow Donuts to any of the overpriced crap they sell at Starbucks.
I wouldn't say that I am boycotting them, I went there once and didn't finish the cup I ordered it tasted so bad, never went back.

Now when a company that sells shaving supplies has poor customer service, will I treat them any differently? As a matter of fact, I just got an order of shaving supplies from a very popular company that even manufactures their own brand of razors. I had a slight misunderstanding about their shipping policies and asked for clarification. I felt the answers they provided me with were very cavalier, and I stated my position. Once again I was provided with another cavalier form letter indicating to me that they did not care. I like their products. I have been a repeat customer, and I pointed that out.
As such, the last order I received from them will be my last. I can find the same products elsewhere.

That is my story and I am sticking to it!!!

I've occasionally thought about not buying badger brushes. As mentioned in one of my earlier posts in this thread, that's one of the things that I need to examine more closely to see if it bothers me enough to make me change my buying habits.

As for the Japanese, I think that we can argue that they got thumped pretty good (two atomic bombs). There's also the internment camps in Canada and the U.S.

Nobody really wins in war.

I've occasionally thought about not buying badger brushes. As mentioned in one of my earlier posts in this thread, that's one of the things that I need to examine more closely to see if it bothers me enough to make me change my buying habits.

As for the Japanese, I think that we can argue that they got thumped pretty good (two atomic bombs). There's also the internment camps in Canada and the U.S.

PETA showed some horrific pics of badger farming in China. I accept that my boycott will have no effect, I can only take note when some of the major cosmetic and shaving brush manufacturers are taking the same line as myself and boycotting badger hair from China.

I accept that Japan suffered although you may be interested to learn that my neighbour has just come back a tour of Japan, the tour guide was very critical of the US and its bombing, no sense of wrongdoing on their part.

In my case the treatment of my family at the hands of the Japanese was personal. My grandfather was part of a tiny defence force in Singapore when the Japanese invaded, they were armed with little more than sweeping brushes and stones, the Bristish government didnt think that the Japanese would invade. The Japanese soldiers didnt even waste their bullets and killed all the men with a bayonet. My grandmother was captured with her new born baby, my great uncle. She was taken into a house to provide services for the Japanese officers, tragically the baby was a nuisance to them so they strapped her breasts and gambled on how long the baby would live without mothers milk.

It is not easy to forgive and forget and my boycott of Hondas and Seiko watches doesnt even register in Japan but means something to me

If you put pictures of Japanese internment camps and navy enlisted housing side by side, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. As my mother said, "You weren't there; you have no right to judge."

Top Bottom