What's new

Boycott a Product ?

@Demolition and @Iancre

I do have a medium light beard and I started using Merkurs with a Futur, so I could dial right in. That might have an affect on my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's go back on topic, about boycotting this or that.
Not shaving related, I will never enter anymore in a particular supermarket (with a smaller surface) because there are no open cash registers, most of the time. All the customers must queue in a single line to a counter, initially designed to sell hot-dogs, coffee and cakes and cigarettes. I front of you there is always a mom with her spoiled brat who can't decide what cake he or she wants. This is unacceptable customer service and I boycott their whole chain of supermarkets.

Shaving related:
-Musgo Real products. Their prices became downright shameless. In no way I can accept to pay the price asked for a tube of shaving cream, for example, when for the same money I can bough ten tubes of Nivea or about 13 tubes of Palmolive. Their aftershaves are more expensive than some of designer aftershaves. Azzaro pour homme or Paco Rabane are cheaper.

-Extro products (an Italian "artisan") - for me, the worst shaving products ever, a ripoff.

-Modern cartridge razors and canned foam. Never bought any of these in my life, with one only exception: in 1997 I got a Gillette SensorExcel razor. I shaved a couple times with it, didn't liked, I sold it then I returned to my DE razor.

-English "luxury" - Taylor of Bond Street, Geo F. Trumper, Truefitt & Hill and so on. I won't pay for "tradition", "luxury" and a Royal Warrant. I had once a tub of TOBS Lavender cream. It was...uh..OK, smelled good, creamy, smooth but also dried on my face with the speed of light. I was happy when I finished it. The empty plastic tub is perfect for my other soaps (now, there's Dusy Kabinett inside).

-Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements and Fine aftershaves: shameless prices.

-not exactly a boycott, but I'll never buy another synthetic brush (didn't worked for me at all) or a badger brush. The affordable badgers are too stingy and they never break up, the silvertips are too expensive and too fluffy for my taste. I'll stick to my boars.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yeah, PAA seems kinda steeply priced, but I've never tried anything he hawks.

I've only used boars, and I love them. May try a synthetic someday.

I seem to go into our local grocery store less and less, but not boycotting it. The other places (Wally world) is just more convenient.

If a company PUBLICLY supports, funds, advertises for, etc., a political, philosophical, religious view that is not in line with mine, I prefer they don't make money from me. Likewise someone charging premium prices for items produced in sweat shops I also avoid. Is it a perfect solution? Nope. Many companies keep it real quite, while others make it part of their marketing.
This^^^^

If a company makes it part of their brand, I will respond in kind.

Let's go back on topic, about boycotting this or that.
Not shaving related, I will never enter anymore in a particular supermarket (with a smaller surface) because there are no open cash registers, most of the time. All the customers must queue in a single line to a counter, initially designed to sell hot-dogs, coffee and cakes and cigarettes. I front of you there is always a mom with her spoiled brat who can't decide what cake he or she wants. This is unacceptable customer service and I boycott their whole chain of supermarkets.

Shaving related:
-Musgo Real products. Their prices became downright shameless. In no way I can accept to pay the price asked for a tube of shaving cream, for example, when for the same money I can bough ten tubes of Nivea or about 13 tubes of Palmolive. Their aftershaves are more expensive than some of designer aftershaves. Azzaro pour homme or Paco Rabane are cheaper.

-Extro products (an Italian "artisan") - for me, the worst shaving products ever, a ripoff.

-Modern cartridge razors and canned foam. Never bought any of these in my life, with one only exception: in 1997 I got a Gillette SensorExcel razor. I shaved a couple times with it, didn't liked, I sold it then I returned to my DE razor.

-English "luxury" - Taylor of Bond Street, Geo F. Trumper, Truefitt & Hill and so on. I won't pay for "tradition", "luxury" and a Royal Warrant. I had once a tub of TOBS Lavender cream. It was...uh..OK, smelled good, creamy, smooth but also dried on my face with the speed of light. I was happy when I finished it. The empty plastic tub is perfect for my other soaps (now, there's Dusy Kabinett inside).

-Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements and Fine aftershaves: shameless prices.

-not exactly a boycott, but I'll never buy another synthetic brush (didn't worked for me at all) or a badger brush. The affordable badgers are too stingy and they never break up, the silvertips are too expensive and too fluffy for my taste. I'll stick to my boars.

that’s not boycotting to me.
that’s just strong personal preference.

Boycott vs. choice for personal preference are two completely different things.
I.E.
There is a very popular Australian themed restaurant that I have always enjoyed patronizing. Until, they completely disrespected a customer eating there because of one of his job-related requirements. The incident made national news. I have not set foot in one of their restaurants since. Pity as I rather liked their bill of fare. That is boycott.
I don't like Williams Shave Soap. It does not work for me. It is very inexpensive, easy to find in stores, and has a pretty good sized fan base from what I can see. I don't like it. I don't buy it. It remains however a good product. That is not a boycott.
Ravens are beating the Bills...Yay😃

Boycott vs. choice for personal preference are two completely different things.
I.E.
There is a very popular Australian themed restaurant that I have always enjoyed patronizing. Until, they completely disrespected a customer eating there because of one of his job-related requirements. The incident made national news. I have not set foot in one of their restaurants since. Pity as I rather liked their bill of fare. That is boycott.
I don't like Williams Shave Soap. It does not work for me. It is very inexpensive, easy to find in stores, and has a pretty good sized fan base from what I can see. I don't like it. I don't buy it. It remains however a good product. That is not a boycott.
Ravens are beating the Bills...Yay[emoji2]

This

Funny how PAA gets a “boycott”

Guys that are not spending money seem to be not spending the money because of the price to value ratio that they feel isn’t there with the PAA items.

I recently bought the atomic age bay rum aftershave, it’s good stuff! $30 a bottle though is where I will draw a hard line

My take on boycotts for political and/or ideological reasons is that, while they make the boycotters feel warm and fuzzy and superior, they don't actually inflict much pain on the decision-makers at the targeted concerns. If anyone gets hurt due to a downturn in revenue, it's the people at the bottom of the ladder who lose jobs they may desperately need. A person trying to feed their family can take little solace in the fact that they lost their job for a "good" cause. I make my political and ideological statements with my ballot and through the donations I make to causes I feel strongly about. Taking it out on the greeter at WalMart or the guy who delivers my pizza seems overly judgy to me.

My take on boycotts for political and/or ideological reasons is that, while they make the boycotters feel warm and fuzzy and superior, they don't actually inflict much pain on the decision-makers at the targeted concerns. If anyone gets hurt due to a downturn in revenue, it's the people at the bottom of the ladder who lose jobs they may desperately need. A person trying to feed their family can take little solace in the fact that they lost their job for a "good" cause. I make my political and ideological statements with my ballot and through the donations I make to causes I feel strongly about. Taking it out on the greeter at WalMart or the guy who delivers my pizza seems overly judgy to me.

It’s not about putting them out of business or making me feel fuzzy inside. It’s more like not wanting to date a girl you don’t like.

Let's unpack this. You hold that boycotts do no real damage and are thus useless. Then you hold that if anyone gets hurt, it's the employees. Except, if boycotts are useless, then there is no economic downturn and the employees do not suffer. OTOH, if employees do suffer from a lack of business, then a boycott did cause the company to lose sales, and therefore are not useless. Both cannot be simultaneously true. Either boycotts have an effect beyond what you call the "warm fuzzies" or they do not.

Let us say that they do not. This is my assumption when I chose not to do business with a company for any reason. For ideological reasons, it's the knowledge that a portion of the money I pay them goes to fund what I find objectionable. Thus I know that, in a very real sense, I am giving money to help fund actions I disagree with. To continue to give them money is then like the "Thank you sir, may I have another?" scene in Animal House. Warm fuzzies? No. Feeling superior? Uh-uh. It's simply looking after my own interests, no more, no less.

The issue, then, that we should go through "Thank you sir, may I have another?" for the sake of the employees of said company really doesn't hold. If a boycott causes a company economic harm, then yes, it will affect the employees. So does a business going under for any other reason. Comparing this to "taking it out on the employees" is a false equivalency. It is one thing to berate a delivery guy over the quality of the pizza he didn't cook; quite another not to do business with a pizza joint because they serve poor food.

The issue of boycott comes down to a very simple question: Is what you find objectionable important enough to you that it ranks right up there with a poor product? If it is, then there is no reason to feel compelled to give them your money to do it with. Like our favorite razors and razor blades, it's all highly subjective. What one person finds objectionable another might shrug over or find it a positive thing. So it goes. What it ultimately comes down to is our money and how we choose to spend it.

Huh...
I definitely agree with you Raisser and would like to add a dash of my POV.
If I boycott a company it’s usually because the act of purchasing or ownership of the company’s business make me feel apart of the negative aspect the company holds. I honestly don’t think I’m doing harm to the company (I don’t see how that would make me feel the warm fuzzies anyway) in a way I myself don’t want to own that negativity.
god I sound like a hippie. lol

Did anyone mention Starbucks? I detest that place. I will never give them a dime. I used to go there once a year to get their Christmas CD and when the quit carrying CDs.. That was it for me. 😆 I don't go to Wal-Mart, I cut my cable, and don't watch sports. However, I don't think my personal actions constitute a boycott, which is usually something organized among masses of people. I don't eat fast food or drink soda, either.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Did anyone mention Starbucks? I detest that place. I will never give them a dime. I used to go there once a year to get their Christmas CD and when the quit carrying CDs.. That was it for me. 😆
I'm just so stinkin' cheap, AND picky, that I pretty much just drink coffee at home. I buy Dunkin' Donuts pre grounded up from that Warehouse club when they have it on sale. Love that stuff.

I'm just so stinkin' cheap, AND picky, that I pretty much just drink coffee at home. I buy Dunkin' Donuts pre grounded up from that Warehouse club when they have it on sale. Love that stuff.
Their coffee is overpriced and bitter. I sometimes go to Dunkin Donuts too. I actually really like their coffee. I have some in the cupboard!

I go to Starbucks a few times a year. Well until I got a nitro cold brew there a few months ago. It is awesome. Sooo now it’s a few times a month. Oh well.
I don’t know why people are so against Starbucks? They sell expensive coffee. No big whoop.

Top Bottom