What's new

"Powder-y" Aftershaves

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Ever tried Vitos? I ordered some from Giftsandcare recently. Super powdery...

Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 6.37.14 PM.png

Heliotropium Arborescens-- "the tree that turns [its leaves] to the sun." I hate it when scientists combine Greek & Latin words in the same botanical name. Pick a classical language and stick to it!

When I want that barbershop powder scent I follow my shave with a cheap bay rum and a little shake of Clubman talc. I buy the "bath talc"- it isn't as fine as the regular barber talc, but it has the same original Clubman scent. Perfect!

Yes, Master BR + Clubman Talc. Love that.

Wholly Kaw Fougere Bouquet is powdery heaven. I love it, the wife doesn't mind it but she makes it a point To say it's "powdery." And it's high on menthol. win-win.

While Stirling certainly has a powdery note, it also has as sweet note to it as well.

Think powder, along with what I would consider cotton candy.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Heliotropium Arborescens-- "the tree that turns [its leaves] to the sun." I hate it when scientists combine Greek & Latin words in the same botanical name. Pick a classical language and stick to it!

Lol'd.

When I want that barbershop powder scent I follow my shave with a cheap bay rum and a little shake of Clubman talc. I buy the "bath talc"- it isn't as fine as the regular barber talc, but it has the same original Clubman scent. Perfect!

I have done the same. I don't really like applying the talc by hand, so I actually own and use a professional barber's neck duster.

Every @OkieStubble post drops knowledge on you like sledgehammer!
Powdery notes in aftershaves are usually thanks to the interaction and dry-down of aldehydes with other ingredients like Heliotropium Arborescens for instance, which is one of the more common.

In the beginning, aldehydes add brightness and sparkle to an aftershave. As the scent progresses, they add a softness and rounded 'powdery' quality.

This is where the old school, barber shop scent is purposefully recreated, for back when one would not only get a splash of aftershave from the barber for a 'finish', but also, a good dusting down of talc with a brush.

Old thread resurrection!

I have been on a "barbershop" scent kick lately, which oftentimes equates to a note of powder.

Concur with Stirling Barbershop...great stuff!
PAA Clubguy is a fantastic (sort of) clone of Clubman...but slightly different. Great powder note to me.
PAA Sun Down for sure.
And if you can find it. Vintage Skin Bracer Sport Talc

I have a bottle of Good Vibrations: Boardwalk Barbershop on the way that I am excited to try!

Clubman, Canoe, Avon Wild Country, Floid Vigoroso and Suave are all somewhat powdery on drydown. All easy to find and reasonably priced. My personal fave of the bunch-Floid Vigoroso.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
This is my all time favourite and has a lovely powdery dry down, especially in the original 'Brut' format without the '33'. Getting difficult to find now, and very expensive. The later Brut 33 is good but the original is awesome.

rd.JPG

This is my all time favourite and has a lovely powdery dry down, especially in the original 'Brut' format without the '33'. Getting difficult to find now, and very expensive. The later Brut 33 is good but the original is awesome.

View attachment 1040740

The original Brut was an eau de toilette, "Brut 33" is really the cologne version.

You can still buy Brut as an EdT but now Brut is considered low-class drugstore cologne instead of the evening fragrance it started out as, so the EdT is trickier to find. Selling it as a cologne and aftershave is part of the cause, no doubt.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The original Brut was an eau de toilette, "Brut 33" is really the cologne version.

You can still buy Brut as an EdT but now Brut is considered low-class drugstore cologne instead of the evening fragrance it started out as, so the EdT is trickier to find. Selling it as a cologne and aftershave is part of the cause, no doubt.
Things must be different in the US then as in the UK Brut was launched in 1964 and the budget range Brut 33, so called because it contained 33% of the fragrance of the original, was launched in 1968 when it transferred to plastic bottles. In 1989, following the acquisition by Unilever, Brut 33 became again known simply as Brut. It seems like a company and brand with a complicated history, but that is my understanding. To my knowledge the brand has always been known as 'low-class' as evidenced by the sheer number of working class men, including my Father, who used it. I even received it as Christmas and birthday gifts as a child, when far too young to have started shaving. Today, a 100ml glass bottle of pre 1968 Brut, splash or spray on lotion, will cost anything up to £50, if you can find it. Even the Brut 33 is now increasing in price. The modern Brut, be it from the UK, US, or India, EDT or cologne, whether it is labelled Faberge or not, is but a shadow of the original.

Top Bottom