What's new

Are electrics really that bad?

Why do electric shavers have such a bad reputation?

I have always had some kind of electric shaver, if nothing else as a backup or a quick shave if it is needed. Typically, I have used low-end foil shavers. I've never had alot of problems with them, never had them "chew up my face" unless I get far too aggressive and try to get every last hair cut close; then I do get irritation . But it's the same story with a blade razor, really, more or less.

If you are broke an electric shaver can actually be fairly economical as there's no soaps or creams you need to purchase, no brushes, no aftershaves. Just purchase an 8-10 dollar foil once in a while, and maybe a new shaver every five to ten years or so. It's a very straightforward way to shave.

They work OK for a lot of people. Quick and conventient, good for travel. It can be difficult to get a truly close shave. Men with lighter beards can do all right using electrics. Men with heavier beards might have to shave more often.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I tried an electric shaver about 30 years ago and I do not remember it being a good experience but no doubt they have improved a great deal since then. They must work acceptably else they would not be purchased and used in great numbers and I have seen the occasional person shaving in the car which would be inadvisable with a DE, SE or straight. I guess if you view shaving as merely a utilitarian process of beard reduction and removal then they work fine and as you say can be inexpensive. There is some snobbery in shaving circles about this sort of thing but I say if it works and you like it then do it. In fact, if you like it then do it, even if it doesn't work 😀

I never liked mine. I’ve tried high end foil/Braun and rotary/Norelco razors; neither gave me a good shave (decent at best, neck was never even decent). I also found them to be noisy, hard to clean, and would generally give me quite a bit of razor burn. Cartridges were significantly better, and safety razors better still.

if I were broke, I’d shave with a Tech and a puck of Mike’s or Stirling as they last a long time.

Why do electric shavers have such a bad reputation?

I have always had some kind of electric shaver, if nothing else as a backup or a quick shave if it is needed. Typically, I have used low-end foil shavers. I've never had alot of problems with them, never had them "chew up my face" unless I get far too aggressive and try to get every last hair cut close; then I do get irritation . But it's the same story with a blade razor, really, more or less.

If you are broke an electric shaver can actually be fairly economical as there's no soaps or creams you need to purchase, no brushes, no aftershaves. Just purchase an 8-10 dollar foil once in a while, and maybe a new shaver every five to ten years or so. It's a very straightforward way to shave.

They are part of the long-term plan to emasculate men.

Never liked electrics. Never got a nice smooth shave with them. When I had my last electric I always preferred to shave with my Gillette Mach 3, the cartridge razor I was using at the time. I actually still like the Mach 3, was way better than the electric, but my DE razors are way above both of them.

I never liked mine. I’ve tried high end foil/Braun and rotary/Norelco razors; neither gave me a good shave (decent at best, neck was never even decent). I also found them to be noisy, hard to clean, and would generally give me quite a bit of razor burn. Cartridges were significantly better, and safety razors better still.

Pretty much sums up my findings with electrics (Braun was the best, but still not good). Razor burn in the neck area was a real problem and the resulting stubble in that area frayed my shirt collars. Returning to DE wet shaving was nirvana.

I used an electric for all of my adult shaving life until I found DE's. The electric did fine, but my face always hurt. I used Lectric Shave but it didn't matter. I never realized you could shave DE style.

Herm

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have tried them in the past and always struggled using them. Just could not get a great shave and kept going back for more and finishing up with a terrible shaving rash. Many who cannot use wet shaving due to taking blood thinning medication have to use Electrics and may find that they work well for them. The main aim from my point of view is use what gives YOU the best shave.

I think I liked the idea of my electric razor more than I ever did its performance. I remember a lot of mediocre to sub-par shaves and a lot of irritation/razor burn. I've shaved with electric razors, carts, disposables and DE razors. I can easily say that my electric razor shaves were the least favorite of all the various types of shaves. I abandoned electric shaves decades ago and I don't miss them at all. Every other method has provided better and more comfortable shaves.

Well, this is a DE forum. I've always used electrics just like my DEs - brush, soap and scuttle. The advantage was a quicker shave, with less chance for bloodletting, and less irritation. Slightly less close, but more than acceptable. With less skill required. So there's a place for electrics, and many use them exclusively (I switch), but absolutely nothing wrong with an electric shave - and about the only thing modern electrics (designed and made within the last 10 years) share with their ancestors - that I read many are still using or used - is that they use electricity for charging. Shave on.

Tried them as a teen and always looked like I needed a shave a few hours later.

Went back to a blade and never looked back.

Chris

I use electric on and off. Travel etc. I like it comfort-wise and it deals with some of the trouble spots I have more easely than both cart & DE. But as someone else said, shadow early. So airport 2 hours away, have to get up 4 o'clock & shave, plane to Copenhagen at 6:47. (random european city) . 9 o'clock shadow at the office.

There are those who like electric shavers and those who don’t. However, there have been numerous improvements in both foil and rotary electric shavers.

When first using an electric shaver it will take a couple of weeks of daily shaves for both you and your beard to become accustomed to the shaver. No matter which shaver you buy it will require that you make several passes over each part of your face in each direction to get a close shave. Pressing the shaver into your skin will only increases the irritation rather than increasing closeness. Light to medium pressure works best.

Although modern electric shavers can be used wet or dry, I personally get best results shaving dry first thing before wetting my face or showering. If you live in a humid climate keeping your face dry while shaving will be more difficult and the drag between your skin and the foil will increase skin irritation. In humid conditions I used an electric shaver preshave powder to dry my face before shaving which eliminated any irritation. Because most new shavers are waterproof going with the humidity might be an opportunity to use shaving cream and shave wet in the shower.

I get very close shaves with my Braun 7983s that last most of the day. It takes less than four minutes to shave including cleaning the cutter/screen head. Therefore, if i’m going out in the evening it’s quick and easy to shave again.

All new electric shavers come with a three week return policy giving you the time to allow you and your beard to become accustomed to the shaver.

Youre probably not going to get an honest answer on a traditional wet shaving forum. My guess as to why electrics get a bad rap is because they are often used dry with really no prep. You cant really compare that to a wet shave when you do a full prep, a shave and use of an aftershave.
I dabbled with electrics last year and it was OK. I used one that could be used wet and I did it with shaving cream. It actually wasnt bad at all and was a very quick, very close shave. It wasnt BBS but it was very close.

Youre probably not going to get an honest answer on a traditional wet shaving forum. My guess as to why electrics get a bad rap is because they are often used dry with really no prep. You cant really compare that to a wet shave when you do a full prep, a shave and use of an aftershave.
I dabbled with electrics last year and it was OK. I used one that could be used wet and I did it with shaving cream. It actually wasnt bad at all and was a very quick, very close shave. It wasnt BBS but it was very close.
Obviously, there are more wet traditional shavers here which probably will skew the replies. Expecting a BBS shave from an electric shaver is just fanciful thinking. Regardless, electric shavers were designed to be used dry for their speed and convenience. In my opinion electric shavers work best when used dry. If you are going to take the time to wash your face, apply shaving cream and then shave with an electric shaver you are defeating the purpose. I’m sure I could get a closer shave with a blade but then cleaning up the blood and stopping the bleeding would take much more time while not even mentioning the pain.

As for early 5 o’clock shadow it only takes four minutes to shave again.

Last edited:
I could never get a decent shave with an electric. Norelco says it takes 30 days for your face to adjust to their razors, but I could never make it that long. After shaving with the electric, I was still doing touch up with a blade. The wife bought me one for Christmas several years ago, but I passed it along without even opening it.

My experience with them wasn't ever that bad, either, in fact I found dry shaving worked best generally, even though I used to own a good Panasonic with a linear motor that could work with water.

The Panasonic was probably one of the least irritating shavers I've ever owned, in fact one of the least irritating ways to shave in general. The battery eventually died on it, and I didn't replace it, however. The up-front costs can be daunting, it's not like getting a cheap shave brush and a puck of Williams and some disposables at a dollar store.

I think there's a unique kind of chintziness with electric shavers that parallels the razors-and-blades sales model. You get the convenience of a cordless shaver, in exchange after a few years you're left with a paperweight and they know you'll probably just go and buy another one rather than pay the fees to get a new battery installed.

That's one reason now days I prefer inexpensive plug-in shavers or battery operated, even though they don't perform as well. I wouldn't shave with one often enough to justify buying a more expensive model.

Last edited:
Top Bottom