What's new

What is the worst blade you have used in your razor?

I recently finished a 30 sample pack and out of all of those, just the Voskhod, Bic, and Derby didn’t perform well. The Voskhod was so bad, I suspect I got a dud and the Derby and Bic just “didn’t cut it.”

Rockwell! I haven't tried any of the blades that come with the Chinese razors. I have more than enough mainstream blades to use or try.

Balaka, easily. An unknown brand which is probably what attracted me to it in the first place. Of known popular blades, easily, again, Feathers.

710733-c7eeaa2afdf4b62836e2d81b5e475b60.jpg
710734-1a2f93a9fece50ccfa7afca943ff65a6.jpg
Neva made in USSA!!! In all razors.

I've yet to use a blade so bad that I had to change it mid-shave, but several brands took a lot of work to get a decent shave. I've found that by using the slickest soap possible, I can get smooth, close and comfortable 10-12 hour shaves from 'most all my blades.

Feathers always take off too much of my surface skin and leave me raw. Bic are a close second in that regard. Derbys tug away and require me to go over every area a hundred times.

Outside of the free Merkur with the razor, I absolutely cannot shave with a Sputnik. My cheeks are near-indestructible, I can shave them with a credit card if I wanted to, not with Sputnik.

That said, I just bought another 10 packs of different new blades to try, so this may change in a few months

The top spot goes to Bolzano Superinox, the Italian Vampire. A very sharp, smooth blade that just decided to carve a chunk of flesh out of my face without any warning and seemingly for no reason. Twice. In two consecutive shaves.

The honorable second mention goes to Crystal, а.k.a. "the Master of Irritation". Don't know why, but it just decided to have a violent disagreement with my skin. An OK shave but boatloads of irritation for days later.

My very first and by far the worst DE shave was with a green wrapped Baili (I think it said "Swedish steel" on the blade) but I can't blame the blade because I did everything wrong. I have another one laying around, if I feel adventurous I may give it a try.

BTW, I am surprised at how many people mention Feathers. I fell in love with it the first time I tried one, and use them daily in moderately aggressive razors (Variant set to 3.5, Maggard V3A) with great results. To me, an efficient razor + Feather = easy irritation free BBS shave. Which means that YMMV is the ultimate truth when it comes to shaving.

Last edited:
Top Bottom