What's new

Just like Grampa used to shave

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Boy, this is bringing up memories.

My father had died when I was 5 and my mother's parents lived with us. As I remember, when I started shaving as a teen, I just lathered up grampa's soap with his brush. I don't remember any repercussions for doing this. Why would there be, we all used the same bar soap.
I envy you. My dad's dad died when dad was 8, and my mom's dad lived a continent away, so I didn't get many good gramps memories. Sorry about your dad. It screwed him up, in some ways until the day he died. He was a good, but damaged man, and loved by many. But there was always a melancholy around him if you could see through his vail.

FarmerTan

Shaved tonight. Used the bent up brush and it shed bad. Clumps! I'm gonna ride this thing til it makes me so mad I throw it at the mirror. Tonight I had shave no. 37 on a GSB in my 1962 H2 Gillette Tech. Used some Patchouli soap from my great friend @njpaddy labeled "Straight Razor Designs" that I have face lathered before. Really nice stuff. I believe it is glycerin based, not tallow, so it will be interesting to see if it effects the Petri dish shaving bowl negatively. CCS, followed up with a sample of "Bootleggers Bay Rum Lime" that gets better EVERY time I use it; but I'm biased, as most of you folks here know that I will someday shave with key lime pie. It's on my bucket list. I wish I could remember the name of the kind soul on here that sent me the Bootleggers, so if you is he and you are reading this drivel PLEASE stand up and say hello.

I plan on doing this extremely dangerous, but important experiment until my face slides off, I run out of soaps, or the War Department finds my bowl and brush and throws it at me.

Sadly I now longer have my Grandfathers brush. He was the one that taught me to shave. I do, however shave "mostly" like he did. He passed in 1979....fast forward to a cpl of years ago. I was digging through some odds and ends stored by my Grandmother. Lo and behold I found his shaving kit. I now shave with my Grandfathers Fatboy (more often than not) using Williams Mug Soap like he used (again more often than not) whipped up in his old shaving mug. The only difference is that my go to blade is a Gillette PP from Brazil. Grandpa liked Schick blades. I finish up with Skin Bracer just like he did as well. It is kind of like being able to say good morning to him as I get ready to go to work instead of school like I did as a child.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I just want to know one thing that is really bothering me........What happened to the emoji of the three of them eating popcorn ?:a21:

When I was a kid, I hated having my grandparents living with us. Now I see that it was a real privilege.

I'm thinking now that my grandfather had probably passed before I used his brush and shaving mug. So that means that the brush had probably sat in the mug for years before I got to it. Talk about a petri dish

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The continuous-roller gas station towel, and it's accompanying dirty bar of soap, is frequently mentioned ... Wonder if they had that in the women's bathroom?

AA

I don't get drunk anymore, but if you catch me in the right mood I do teenager type stuff.

Hahaha we all do mate we are all still young at heart and mind, its just the body that fails us now and again not being as nimble as it used to be.....:001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:

FarmerTan

Hahaha we all do mate we are all still young at heart and mind, its just the body that fails us now and again not being as nimble as it used to be.....:001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:
Lol, and the brain could be more nimble too!

FarmerTan

Yesterday was the ultimate cheap shave. I grabbed my bowl with the bent brush from the place I hid it from my lovely wife. I could see some dried up suds. Smelled good, so I just added about a tablespoon of warm tap water and whipped up a real nice lather. No additional soap added. I could definitely see my dad doing this. Frugal, lol. Had a great shave. Waste not want not.

FarmerTan

I just finished my evening shave. Number 39 on a GSB. I prepped well, then rubbed enough of an Arko stick on my face that my stubble started to melt. Then I took about a dozen bristles out of the shave bowl and the few loose ones from the old Marvy brush and ran some warm water over it. Then I proceeded to get an explosion of lather that smelled of heavenly urinal cake! Delicious! Razor was my old Tech from 1962. BBS all over.

But here's the kicker: as I was finishing up the bathroom door was open and the War Department happened to be walking by and spied my incredibly manly physique as I was shirtless. So of course she had to stop to get a better look. That is when she smelled my recent invention: I mixed Bergamot essential oil in vintage Avon Tribute aftershave. I'm trying to talk @Ad Astra into mixing up some of his 300 gallons of it and going into business with me, but that story is for another day.

My lovely bride swooned over the smell. Had to carry (drag her by the heels) to the bedroom. She is snoring softly as I type this wonderful, 99 percent true story. That is true love fellas. Stay tuned for more exciting tales of how gramps shaved with a bent, shedding brush, and used his face as a Petri dish!!!

I just finished my evening shave. Number 39 on a GSB. I prepped well, then rubbed enough of an Arko stick on my face that my stubble started to melt. Then I took about a dozen bristles out of the shave bowl and the few loose ones from the old Marvy brush and ran some warm water over it. Then I proceeded to get an explosion of lather that smelled of heavenly urinal cake! Delicious! Razor was my old Tech from 1962. BBS all over.

But here's the kicker: as I was finishing up the bathroom door was open and the War Department happened to be walking by and spied my incredibly manly physique as I was shirtless. So of course she had to stop to get a better look. That is when she smelled my recent invention: I mixed Bergamot essential oil in vintage Avon Tribute aftershave. I'm trying to talk @Ad Astra into mixing up some of his 300 gallons of it and going into business with me, but that story is for another day.

My lovely bride swooned over the smell. Had to carry (drag her by the heels) to the bedroom. She is snoring softly as I type this wonderful, 99 percent true story. That is true love fellas. Stay tuned for more exciting tales of how gramps shaved with a bent, shedding brush, and used his face as a Petri dish!!!

Knocked her right out, huh? [emoji23]

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Who's side are you on?!?

[emoji23] I just figured the smell knocked her right out. Lol. I was just reading what you were inferring. My LOTH doesn’t like all of my scents either but I just tell her tough. (When she’s not around).

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Well, of course!

As far as making an aftershave with a fast-acting knockout agent, we'd need an impossible amount of Avon Tribute ...

AA

FarmerTan

[emoji23] I just figured the smell knocked her right out. Lol. I was just reading what you were inferring. My LOTH doesn’t like all of my scents either but I just tell her tough. (When she’s not around).

Smart man!

FarmerTan

Sometime this weekend, hopefully tonight, I will be shaving with a type of razor I have never used before! It was generously gifted to me by a fellow B &Ber and arrived in my mailbox yesterday. I hope you all tune in later, for the details. I will say this: I plan to use Cella and my horrible shedding brush, that is beginning to look like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree. Still no rinsing of the bowl or brush, still nothing visible to the naked eye growing on my implements, and my lovely complexion is still glowing!

Sometime this weekend, hopefully tonight, I will be shaving with a type of razor I have never used before! It was generously gifted to me by a fellow B &Ber and arrived in my mailbox yesterday. I hope you all tune in later, for the details. I will say this: I plan to use Cella and my horrible shedding brush, that is beginning to look like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree. Still no rinsing of the bowl or brush, still nothing visible to the naked eye growing on my implements, and my lovely complexion is still glowing!
The heck with your lovely complexion! We want to know what razor you’ using tonight!

Don’t keep us in suspense.

:117::117::07::07::a30::a38:

Top Bottom