What's new

If money is no object, can you build a rotation of 5 shave soaps that you would recommend?

I'll tell you what I'll do if I had money to burn on soaps.

I'll give a couple of grand each to our fellow soap making friends and sponsor them to make whatever they want lol.

Guys like
jldallas, Jetpilot, dfoulk, Danmarx, FloorPizza, psfredD, DCRIII & Dilbone

Happy shaves,

Mawashi
I like your answer! You'd get some unique soaps to use, support your friends here... Win-win in my book.

I've seen some of the posts on soapmaking and I am humbled by the skill involved... Especially those involving scent mixing.

I'll give a couple of grand each to our fellow soap making friends and sponsor them to make whatever they want lol.

Guys like

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

I appreciate your confidence. Very kind of you.

strong scent, high quality, matching AS, money no object:
1. Wholly Kaw Donkey Milk Fougere bouquet
2. Australian Private Reserve Bombora
3. Barrister & Mann Lavanille
4. Furbo Vintage Blu
5. Fine L'Orange Noir

This setup will give some variety. artisan soft, Italian soft, Triple Milled hard.
You'll get aquatic, fougere, Terre D'Hermes, Floid Blue, and rich leather/vanilla

Last edited:

Guys like

Happy shaves,

Mawashi
I'm liking this idea! ^^^^^^

I really don't know which makers have soaps with matching AS. The only soap I've bought like that was Stirling.
Electric Sheep was a strong, bright scent. I liked the more traditional scent of the Baker Street as well (which is what I actually got a tub of with matching AS).

Build me a rotation of 5 shave soaps. want strong scents with matching aftershaves. any limited releases to look for?

New to this, but have

B&M Bay Rum
B&M 42

The selection of offerings is a bit over whelming. But want to build a strong rotation.

Most soap on the market perform great, there is no bad soap and in the end it comes down to your shaving technique and scent preferences. I can shave with any soap in my rotation and be happy. That is over 50 soaps. I have soaps from $80 a tub down to $5. And they all perform great and I get slick protective shaves with all. For post shave I use Splash and Balm so fancy oils and stuff is nice but not really needed. I was chasing the ultimate soap for a while, and that is how you end up with a huge collection. I do buy a tub here and there and PIF some away so I can keep things interesting, but there is no need to chase.

With that said.

Here is what you should add. You already have 2 B&M. So no more of it. I was never fan of any Bay Rum, however, I do like the 42 soap. That is a keeper.

Get these 5 if money no object:
A&E Grecian Horse and Splash
Wholly Kaw, King of Bourbon and Splash
Martin De Candre Fougere, You decide for splash
Acqua di Parma Shave Cream, get Fine Italian Citrus AS. Or get the real deal.
Saponificio Varesino Manna Di Sicilia and After Shave

Ok, so let's look at this from a high level view. You're going to want the very best performing products and you're going to want to satisfy some basic scent categories. I'm crazy particular when it comes to this stuff, so a lot of what people would universally classify as tier 1 stuff doesn't make the cut for me. So if you stick to what I use, you're going to be limited.

As far as what you can purchase goes, I'd choose soaps from Grooming Dept, Tallow & Steel and Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations Premium formula.

Aftershaves I'd choose splashes from either Tallow & Steel or Maol Grooming and for balms I'll use the L'Occitane Cade one or the six dollar Neurtogena Post shave lotion from the local Walmart as it's very good and contains an SPF which is nice here in Arizona. The Art of Shaving ones are very good but very pricey at their stores. Much, much cheaper on the popular auction site.

So now that I've narrowed your products down significantly....

With the addition of some self made soap (mawashi, how'd you know), these are the products that I use.

In terms of picking scents for you, performance is determined easily but in terms of scents we all smell things differently, so what I like you might not and vice versa. If you were to ask me for an exceptional performing citrus soap I might have some suggestions but going into this I can't tell you that you're going to love a particular scent as much as I do.

With that being said, I'd probably try to satisfy many scents and cover a wide range while pairing some items that would work well with one another. Maybe grab something woody, a citrus, a floral, something green, and maybe something else. It doesn't really matter, just mix the scents up a bit to add some variety.

The problem is that a lot of what I use personally are limited run items or hard to get stuff. For example, Grooming Dept doesn't seem to make the same scents all that often. They make a new scent, sell out of in and then they're onto something else. So you basically buy the scents blindly and hope that you like it. Not a complete risk though as the scents are really well done and the tubs tend to sell quickly on the BST. Most of the scents are very enjoyable and not too over the top so they're easy to like.

What I would do is buy the Maol Grooming in Helio, Frankenlime and Woods aftershaves and then pair these with scents from Grooming Dept. The Wilde Flowers is nice as well so maybe consider that one also. I'd also purchase a neutral scented aftershave balm like the Cade one from L'Occitane. I'd then look to Tallow & Steel for some sets that interest me. The Tallow & Steel aftershaves are exceptional as well so if you pick a soap from there do buy the matching aftershave. Boreal is really nice from Tallow & Steel. It's a forest scent that I suspect would be appealing to a lot of people.

From there on just mix and match the products to find combinations that you might like. The reason I like these products so much is because they actually do have a positive noticeable difference on my skin. After using them for a week or so you'll see a noticeable improvement in your skin.

There are a couple soaps like Martin de Candre Fougere and PannaCrema Nuavia Blue that I have on hand because they are exceptional scents. I usually reach for Nuavia Blue on special days like my Birthday or wedding Anniversary because I love the scent that much. When using Martin de Candre performance can be upped by using some Grooming Dept preshave which can turn a lesser soap into an outstanding performer, so it's good to have on hand. I don't feel the need to use it with my regular soaps though as the performance is already there. The Nuavia soaps aren't slouches in terms of performance as most would consider them to be a tier 1 soap.

Anyway, not exactly what you wanted but I hope this helps.

I only have 3 soaps in my rotation, and only Tabac meets this requirement:

want strong scents with matching aftershaves.

(the other 2 are Arko and Speick)

I've come to the conclusion to just find a very good mildly scented or unscented soap and follow up with a good colonge/perfume/EDT

My preferred approach as well

edit: if I were you I would check out the collaborations Chatillon Lux has done with soapmakers

Hmmmmm, shave soaps and aftershave/cologne to follow:
Tabac ..... Tabac
Geo F. Trumper Eucris ... Geo F. Trumper Eucris
Truefitt & Hill sandalwood ... Truefitt & Hill sandalwood
TOBS Sandalwood .... Truefitt & Hill sandalwood
Geo F. Trumper Spanish Leather (yes it is a cream) .... Geo F. Trumper Spanish Leather

GD Mallard Lavender
GD Veritas (Lusso)
Tallow & Steel V2 any scent
Arriana & Evans new base
Wholly Kaw Buffala

I would also add GD Janus-vegan, B&M Excelsior and DG Bison base.

Forgot to add, M&M St. James slainte (duck with beer base)

I'll play along and pick a 5 though. Id have to go:
PAA Cold Spices
Noble Otter Barrbarr
PAA Clubguy
PAA CAD
Dr Jons Flowers In The Dark

Grooming Dept (has aftershave, but unlike the others not matched scents)
B&M Reserve series
Cold River Soap Works
Wholly Kaw
Wickhams

Oleo is good, but for me, not as good as the ones above.

PannaCrema Blu
Boellis Panama 1924
Martin de Candre
Saponificio Varesino
Ariana & Evans

No particular order. All great soap bases. Most have a matching AS made by same company. Those who don't I leave to you to pick a frag since it's very subjective as to what you want to wear for upto 24hrs.

I don't buy a soap because of its scent but its performance. Of the soaps frequently mentioned in this thread I haven't tried Boellis Panama, but I understand that it's a good soap. Here's my list in no special order:
  • Wickham shaving soaps
  • Mike's Natural Soaps
  • Martin de Candre
  • Saponificio Varesino
  • Tabac
Out of my +70 shaving soaps these are the only ones I'll keep using.
If they weren't discontinued the following soaps would have replaced Tabac and MdC performance wise:
  • AoS Sandalwood soap made by Valobra
  • il Coloniali Mango
Tabac would however stay due to many other reasons.

i use to have ADP shave cream which was awsome. now i have the ADP shave gel. i got ABC almond cream on the way now. i would like to try Los Angeles Shave Soap, Czech & Speake, Boellis Panama , SV, castle forbs, PannaCrema, and SMP novila

Wholly Kaw Buffala
Ariana & Evans new base
B&M Excelsior
Declaration Grooming Icarus
Mike's

But I mostly just use Wholly Kaw now - Sandhurst & King of Bourbon.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I don't buy a soap because of its scent but its performance. Of the soaps frequently mentioned in this thread I haven't tried Boellis Panama, but I understand that it's a good soap. Here's my list in no special order:
  • Wickham shaving soaps
  • Mike's Natural Soaps
  • Martin de Candre
  • Saponificio Varesino
  • Tabac
Out of my +70 shaving soaps these are the only ones I'll keep using.
If they weren't discontinued the following soaps would have replaced Tabac and MdC performance wise:
  • AoS Sandalwood soap made by Valobra
  • il Coloniali Mango
Tabac would however stay due to many other reasons.

+1 on il Coloniali Mango. Used it this morning and getting low. Great soap, I'll miss it when it's gone.

Here Goes:

1. Ralph Lauren Safari Shave soap, Aftershave, and Edt

2. Santa Maria Novella Cream and matching Aftershave

3. Hemingway Accoutrements Cream, Aftershave, Balm, and Edp

4. Stirling Almond Creme Shave soap, and Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Chella Cool Aftershave

5. Martin De Candre Fougere with Sebum Blue Post-Shave Serum

Honorable Mentions to:

1. Tabac with matching aftershave and edt

2. Old Spice shave soap with vintage Gillette Sun Up Aftershave

3. Art of Shaving Sandalwood (tallow) with anything!

Enjoy!

Vr

Matt

Top Bottom