What's new

If money is no object, can you build a rotation of 5 shave soaps that you would recommend?

"If money is no object..."

I understand why the OP asked the question. But. Money is always a consideration. I like DR Harris, but would I buy it at fifty bucks a puck? No. I like Cade. It is $14. Would I pay $40? Nope. Very fond of MWF. Would I buy it at $45? No, sir.

With all the options, there are options, and I am unable to remove value from purchasing decisions. Don't know if that is a flaw or a virtue. LOL

"If money is no object..."

I understand why the OP asked the question. But. Money is always a consideration. I like DR Harris, but would I buy it at fifty bucks a puck? No. I like Cade. It is $14. Would I pay $40? Nope. Very fond of MWF. Would I buy it at $45? No, sir.

With all the options, there are options, and I am unable to remove value from purchasing decisions. Don't know if that is a flaw or a virtue. LOL

I have spent a lot of money on soaps, so in one sense, cost is not that important to me. However, because I have so many soaps and creams, I am reluctant to purchase expensive products. I think the most expensive soap I own is T&H Trafalgar cream ($30). I purchased it when I first got started and had few products from which to choose. I now have a number of artisan soaps at the $25 mark or slightly above.

There are products I would love to try, but cannot bring myself to shell out the dollars to do so: Czech and Speake, Martin de Candre, XPEC. One day, I will probably pick up a tin of Saponificio Varesino just to see what the hype is all about.

I have spent a lot of money on soaps, so in one sense, cost is not that important to me. However, because I have so many soaps and creams, I am reluctant to purchase expensive products. I think the most expensive soap I own is T&H Trafalgar cream ($30). I purchased it when I first got started and had few products from which to choose. I now have a number of artisan soaps at the $25 mark or slightly above.

There are products I would love to try, but cannot bring myself to shell out the dollars to do so: Czech and Speake, Martin de Candre, XPEC. One day, I will probably pick up a tin of Saponificio Varesino just to see what the hype is all about.
You can get travel sized pucks of Czech and Speake that make the cost more reasonable. That would also help you to decide if you wanted to buy a full puck.

Wickham Unscented
AoS Unscented
Soap Commander Integrity
Haslinger Aloe Vera
XPEC Unscented

But if you are a purist that says XPEC is a cream/croap... Then I also like the classic

Prorasso White

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
1) Ogallala Bay Rum
2) Barrister and Mann Reserve Spice
3) Phoenix Atomic Age Bay Rum
4) WSP Blackbeard
5) Barrister and Mann Bay Rum

1. Offer williams an infinite amount of money to stop lying about the recipe and to bring back their ACTUAL vintage recipe and offer it in five scents of my choice.

2. Uh, Sandalwood, Fougere, Rose, a Spice scent, and coffee

This is an old thread recently resurrected. Some new soaps have come out since the thread was first opened.
Scent is so subjective that my recommendation are by formula, not by scent.
The top soaps I would recommend would be:

Grooming Department Kairos formula
Wholly Kaw Siero formula
Declaration Grooming Milksteak formula
Grooming Department Nai formula
Zingari Man Sego formula

If allowed a 6th choice, I would add Murphy & McNeil Kodiak formula.

These are all fantastic soaps. Performance is so good that I had difficulty ranking them.

I'm trying to branch out. Ha Ha!

Looks like you’re like me (enjoy the spicier scents) I also have about 6 different bay rums. But if you want to try something a little different...

Both these are smoke infused bay rums (think old west/Pirates)
PAA -Boomtown Bay Rum
Noble Otter - Plunder

And also I recently got a tub of Mystic Water Brown Windsor which I REALLY like. It’s a old world scent description below, but it was right up my alley with the spicy ness

Brown Windsor
A classic soap fragrance in the 19th century, it was carried by Lewis and Clarke on their western expedition and is said to have been the favorite soap of Napoleon. Brown Windsor is scented with an intriguing blend of essential oils: herbaceous and floral lavender, sweet and spicy caraway seed oil, the fruity citrus of Bergamot and petigrain, with warm notes of cinnamon leaf, cardamom and clove. This soap contains lanolin.
Brown Windsor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCarr

Looks like you’re like me (enjoy the spicier scents) I also have about 6 different bay rums. But if you want to try something a little different...

Both these are smoke infused bay rums (think old west/Pirates)
PAA -Boomtown Bay Rum
Noble Otter - Plunder

And also I recently got a tub of Mystic Water Brown Windsor which I REALLY like. It’s a old world scent description below, but it was right up my alley with the spicy ness

Brown Windsor
A classic soap fragrance in the 19th century, it was carried by Lewis and Clarke on their western expedition and is said to have been the favorite soap of Napoleon. Brown Windsor is scented with an intriguing blend of essential oils: herbaceous and floral lavender, sweet and spicy caraway seed oil, the fruity citrus of Bergamot and petigrain, with warm notes of cinnamon leaf, cardamom and clove. This soap contains lanolin.
Brown Windsor

Thanks for the info, comrade. I do like the spicier scents. I've tried Boomtown and used it up, but found it a bit heavy overall. I also, just recently, purchased Phoenix's Captain Smythe's Bay Rum and Leather which is a milder version of Boomtown. I have something on its way from Black Ship Grooming called Pirates Bay. The description on it sounded like something I would like. This fragrance is all about exotic spices – Allspice, Capers, Cloves, Nutmeg and mix with Crushed Orange, Crisp Pine Needles and just a touch of Patchouli and Vanilla to add a deep base note for staying power. Sometimes you just have to take a chance. The Brown Windsor sounds interesting.

One thing I tried, and would buy again, is Barrister and Mann's Reserve Spice which is like a milder Old Spice scent. I bought the soap and like it very much. They're currently out of the aftershave though.

Thanks for the info, comrade. I do like the spicier scents. I've tried Boomtown and used it up, but found it a bit heavy overall. I also, just recently, purchased Phoenix's Captain Smythe's Bay Rum and Leather which is a milder version of Boomtown. I have something on its way from Black Ship Grooming called Pirates Bay. The description on it sounded like something I would like. This fragrance is all about exotic spices – Allspice, Capers, Cloves, Nutmeg and mix with Crushed Orange, Crisp Pine Needles and just a touch of Patchouli and Vanilla to add a deep base note for staying power. Sometimes you just have to take a chance. The Brown Windsor sounds interesting.

One thing I tried, and would buy again, is Barrister and Mann's Reserve Spice which is like a milder Old Spice scent. I bought the soap and like it very much. They're currently out of the aftershave though.

No worries and if you happen to check out the brown Windsor also check the windjammer if you liked that B&M reserve spice. I’d like to hear how the captain smythes goes.

JCarr

No worries and if you happen to check out the brown Windsor also check the windjammer if you liked that B&M reserve spice. I’d like to hear how the captain smythes goes.

Captain Smythe's has a very similar scent to Boomtown. But the leather part of it doesn't overwhelm the Bay Rum as much as it does in Boomtown. The Bay Rum is able to come out more in Captain Smythe's. I think...if you like Boomtown, chances are you would like Captain Smythe's.

I'll look for Mystic Water's offerings. First I've heard of them.

Captain Smythe's has a very similar scent to Boomtown. But the leather part of it doesn't overwhelm the Bay Rum as much as it does in Boomtown. The Bay Rum is able to come out more in Captain Smythe's. I think...if you like Boomtown, chances are you would like Captain Smythe's.

I'll look for Mystic Water's offerings. First I've heard of them.

Thank you I’ll check it out. And I promise you’ll love mystic it’s an amazing soap

This is an old thread recently resurrected. Some new soaps have come out since the thread was first opened.
Scent is so subjective that my recommendation are by formula, not by scent.
The top soaps I would recommend would be:

Grooming Department Kairos formula
Wholly Kaw Siero formula
Declaration Grooming Milksteak formula
Grooming Department Nai formula
Zingari Man Sego formula

If allowed a 6th choice, I would add Murphy & McNeil Kodiak formula.

These are all fantastic soaps. Performance is so good that I had difficulty ranking them.
That's a great list in my opinion of course. I've got them all except Kairos, it should be on the way soon. That would be difficult to put them in an order, good job.

Top Bottom