What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

Very nice job. The irony is, if Rockwell sold it like that rather than with a satin finish, you wouldn't see so many threads here like this one. People would just take it and be happy with it, understanding it's not a perfectly polished $200-$400 razor. The 6S is by far the best overall razor I've tried, and I'm not a stickler for aesthetics. But if appearance is important to you, the satin finish is obviously not ideal. Even if you like the look when new, it gradually wears off wherever there is consistent rubbing or contact. Polishing seems the best approach for those who want a nicer look.

I could care less about the Rockwell looks but am always wondering if there would be less facial drag if it were polished. Regardless, its still a better razor (i.e. shaves more efficiently and smoothly) than other razors I have that cost as much or 2 1/2 times the S's cost.

For a period of time I went bu Nanu Nanu on Facebook. Doe that make me dishonest? How about now that I am called Crag on this forum...does that make me dishonest. So what if he uses different names for different businesses? The products are spectacular and they speak for themselves.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have met Douglas at a couple of shaving events, and he has been very cool to chat with about products and other off topic subjects. His products are great. His soaps are excellent. And his prices are fair. He has also donated generously to many shaving events for swag bags and door prizes. And I love his marketing flair. Whatever weirdness may have happened in the past is water under the bridge. If you don’t like him or his products, don’t buy them. It’s as simple as that.

For a period of time I went bu Nanu Nanu on Facebook. Doe that make me dishonest? How about now that I am called Crag on this forum...does that make me dishonest. So what if he uses different names for different businesses? The products are spectacular and they speak for themselves.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
It wasn't the fact that he used another name, it was the fact he used those names to write fake reviews to help sell his products to make it look like others were doing it!! That was dishonest!! Dishonesty is dishonesty and there's no disputing that. He could have the best products in the world and I wouldn't give him the time of day... If you want to support someone dishonest, thats up to you!!

Stolen valor, lied about fake ingredient lists, shilling his products on forums under different avatars, attacking other artisans such as Stirling, annoying “flare” such as pith helmets and yacht captains hats, etc etc.

This is gonna run and run:
Most forum reactions to the Smythe (or whatever his name and / or username is) fall into three categories beyond the initial
"We all make mistakes",
"So what?" and
"He did what?!?":

1. The people who practice super-ultra-mega forgiveness
2. The "I'm, like, so over it" people
3. The people who do not wish to murder Douglas Smythe, are not a species of bloody minded obsessive, but are happy to say,
"Well, that's f'd up and I want nothing to do with him".
Still, they cannot stop trying to explain to others why they feel what they feel, and are slightly alarmed that other people just don't get it (I'm one of those)

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
@Lord Fatboy True (and well said :thumbsup:).
There are folks who fall into the third category that do not know his history. That is the only reason I comment on his series of companies.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
PAA BayRum.ExtraPoints.480.png

I can see this from several angles. He's come up with a number of really nice contributions. This is one I really like. Should it offset some errors?

I don't know the answer but I know I like this bay rum and will continue buying it unless I find one I like better.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
I can see this from several angles. He's come up with a number of really nice contributions. This is one I really like. Should it offset some errors?
Some errors!! You're saying that dishonesty is an error? Did I read that correctly? Not to mention he did these things deliberately!! You're a grown individual and can make decisions on your own, but "I" choose not to associate myself with people like that and at the same time will always voice to others when I can about said dishonesty!!

@Lord Fatboy True (and well said :thumbsup:).
There are folks who fall into the third category that do not know his history. That is the only reason I comment on his series of companies.
Oh, we're on the same page on that.
I have an "Induction & Orientation Pack" pack folder of six different threads from six different sites I can send to anyone who wishes to learn the Douglas Smyth deep lore, lol :001_rolle.

I could care less about the Rockwell looks but am always wondering if there would be less facial drag if it were polished. Regardless, its still a better razor (i.e. shaves more efficiently and smoothly) than other razors I have that cost as much or 2 1/2 times the S's cost.
Yes, I 100 percent agree, but I certainly respect those here who have magnificent museum quality antiques or gleaming rhodium-plated models. I'll just enjoy their photos and stick with what I have.

Yes, I 100 percent agree, but I certainly respect those here who have magnificent museum quality antiques or gleaming rhodium-plated models. I'll just enjoy their photos and stick with what I have.
Agreed. I’ve collected less useful things myself. I was just trying to get more opinions on whether polished caps make a big difference. Should have just asked. :)

Top Bottom