What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

Karve OC plates - more first impressions

I have had two shaves with the OC D plate now. It was very comfortable for me. I would not rate it as much more aggressive than the SB D plate, which is my preferred SB plate out of the B thru E in inventory.

I gave the SB D a solid run in anticipation of the arrival of the OC plates. I continue to find the OC and SB shaves to be fairly similar, so I expect I will eventually get another handle and head and pass an SB Karve to one of my sons.

I expect that I will settle on either the C or D as my preferred OC plate. I’m not feeling the need to even test the OC B until I give the C and D a thorough shake down.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
SOTD 03-11-19
Pre: Pre de Provence Artisanal French Soap
Soap: Pre de Provence shave soap
Razor / Blade: Gillette ball end NEW Long Comb / Astra SP (1)
Brush: Yaqi Black Marble Handle Plissoft Synth

DSCF0031 - Edited.jpg

Hello everyone,
I have be using DE for about 8 years, but just recently acquired my first OC, a Merkur 25C, all I can say is why didn't I try OC sooner? By far the closest, smoothest shave I have ever had. My only issue is the razor seems rather light. Not enough to make me switch back to a closed comb, but enough to make me start looking into other OC. I'm giving some serious consideration to buying a Timeless OC with a. 095 gap. I keep meaning to take my razors down and weigh them on the wife's kitchen scale. I'm guessing the Merkur is half of what my old Parker is.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I have be using DE for about 8 years, but just recently acquired my first OC, a Merkur 25C, all I can say is why didn't I try OC sooner? By far the closest, smoothest shave I have ever had. My only issue is the razor seems rather light. Not enough to make me switch back to a closed comb, but enough to make me start looking into other OC. I'm giving some serious consideration to buying a Timeless OC with a. 095 gap. I keep meaning to take my razors down and weigh them on the wife's kitchen scale. I'm guessing the Merkur is half of what my old Parker is.
proxy.php

For a lot more heft, that Merkur OC head will fit right on to a RazoRock or Weber stainless steel aftermarket handle. Not my preference, but both are well made handles. Not that I want to talk you out of a Timeless. It seems there are more OC razors coming out all the time!

For a lot more heft, that Merkur OC head will fit right on to a RazoRock or Weber stainless steel aftermarket handle. Not my preference, but both are well made handles. Not that I want to talk you out of a Timeless. It seems there are more OC razors coming out all the time!
Ohhh hadn't even thought about about aftermarket handles. No reason I can't get that and still get the Timeless!

SOTD 3/20 Fatip v Probak

Fatip Piccolo SE v Probak, the zamak razor that ate Gillette
Polsilver - not buying these again
Omega 10066
Mugged Arko uberized with Lubriderm (inspired by @mawashi)

7FA340CC-D5F2-4932-BC07-1F8D992E8C47.jpeg

SOTD 3/20 Fatip v Probak

Omega 10066

View attachment 964755

Very cool I love your setup, especially the bands around the alum and the wood stands lol!
I've heard many good things about Polsilver, why doesn't I work for you

I would love to try a Piccolo but I'm worried it's a bit too aggressive for me, may want to go gentle first with a Gentile.

Ruskie is my old faithful the Nacet SS, I've tried a light Japanese (feather), Astra plats and the NSC takes em all very well.

I'm thinking of replacing the handle on the NSC for something heavier so it balances better but it's an amazing shaver so far, next the Karve C OC lol!

Seriously thinking of getting an Omega 11126 and a 10048 or 10066!

Happy shaves!

Last edited:
Very cool I love your setup, especially the bands around the alum and the wood stands lol!
I've heard many good things about Polsilver, why doesn't I work for you

I would love to try a Piccolo but I'm worried it's a bit too aggressive for me, may want to go gentle first with a Gentile.

Ruskie is my old faithful the Nacet SS, I've tried a light Japanese (feather), Astra plats and the NSC takes em all very well.

I'm thinking of replacing the handle on the NSC for something heavier so it balances better but it's an amazing shaver so far, next the Karve C OC lol!

Seriously thinking of getting an Omega 11126 and a 10048 or 10066!

Happy shaves!

If you are loving your NSC I don’t think you’ll have any complaint with the OC Piccolo. The Piccolo special edition comes with both OC and gentile, though I have yet to try the gentile. For no good reason I did track down a Piccolo “Mk1”. That little guy has a bit of aggro. Those “Mk1” razors aren’t stamped with the Fatip logo, so you can ID one if you look at the baseplate.

I’ve got a tuck of Nacets in my queue. So far, I prefer Astra SP and Voskhod to the Polsilver, which have seemed rough and not particularly effective. I never know if I should judge a brand by a single tuck, but at least I try every blade I sample in a variety of razors. Hey, I would even buy more Derbys before paying a premium for Polsilver.

Will the NSC head thread smoothly onto the Karve handle for a test shave? Seems like it should - plus keeps that brass vibe going.

Omega 10066 = super cheap, excellent knot and I like the handle shape. That 11126 should be a great brush, but I have spoken out against banded boar, so I’ll never get to check it out. :frown2:

Shave on!

If you are loving your NSC I don’t think you’ll have any complaint with the OC Piccolo. The Piccolo special edition comes with both OC and gentile, though I have yet to try the gentile. For no good reason I did track down a Piccolo “Mk1”. That little guy has a bit of aggro. Those “Mk1” razors aren’t stamped with the Fatip logo, so you can ID one if you look at the baseplate.

I’ve got a tuck of Nacets in my queue. So far, I prefer Astra SP and Voskhod to the Polsilver, which have seemed rough and not particularly effective. I never know if I should judge a brand by a single tuck, but at least I try every blade I sample in a variety of razors. Hey, I would even buy more Derbys before paying a premium for Polsilver.

Will the NSC head thread smoothly onto the Karve handle for a test shave? Seems like it should - plus keeps that brass vibe going.

Omega 10066 = super cheap, excellent knot and I like the handle shape. That 11126 should be a great brush, but I have spoken out against banded boar, so I’ll never get to check it out. :frown2:

Shave on!

Hi Tanuki,

I'm not a fan of aggro razors and the Piccolo has some mixed reviews but more importantly I would prefer a white chrome finish as I've heard gold or the black finish seems to come off easily. What's your experience with the finish and alignment please?

Blades etc are all a YMMV thing lol I love my Nacets, Feathers and Astra SPs the Astra is for aggressive razors or for my girlfriend lol.

Nacets and Feathers are very sharp and many have commented they are rough but not to me. They are wonderful blades imo.
My preference is towards super sharp blades as I have wiry whiskers lol!

I tried threading the karve handle onto the NSC but it doesn't fit. The Webber handle fits but it's not my favourite.

Looking forward to hearing from you about the piccolo spec ed.

Cheers,

Mawashi

SOTD 3/20 Fatip v Probak

Omega 10066

View attachment 964755

Two of my favorite open combs, Schone gold and nickel

View attachment 964968 View attachment 964970

I've been most curious about fatip and schone razors but so far the many posts about qc issues, flimsy plating and aggressiveness has kept me away from them so far.

Between the Fatip spec edit and the Schone which is the better one to try my first Italian razor?

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
I've been most curious about fatip and schone razors but so far the many posts about qc issues, flimsy plating and aggressiveness has kept me away from them so far.

Between the Fatip spec edit and the Schone which is the better one to try my first Italian razor?
Schone open comb razors are made by Fatip. They have fewer and wider teeth.
Originally the fit and finish on Schone razors was better than Fatips, but currently Fatip has improved their QC.
Either one is a great choice, arguably the best OC bang for the buck.

I haven’t tried the Schone. It is similar dimensions to the Grande or your NEW SC, but a different and more highly praised head than the Fatip head. The Piccolo has the skinny but relatively heavy solid brass handle. The nickel finishes are probably the most durable, but I have had no problems with my lightly used (big rotation here!) dark (ruthenium?) plated Fatips. The choice among dimensional differences is mainly up to you. The Special Edition is the only one I know coming with both the OC and gentile plates.

I tried threading the karve handle onto the NSC but it doesn't fit. The Webber handle fits but it's not my favourite.

Oops! I guess I should have tried it before I shot my mouth off. Doesn’t thread on at my house either! But, look what I found to try out with my first Nacet...

SOTD 3/21 - NEW kid on the block (pics at the bottom)

My new NEW (67g) v Karve OC-D (97g)
Nacet (1) v Voskhod (2)
Zenith B5
Williams Mug uber/mentholized with Cremo Cooling

23C9D80E-21D5-4F57-A77B-A7EEC8F86558.jpeg

It was a smooth shave on both sides of the face. As expected the Karve seemed slightly more efficient. Both blades are solid performers. As also expected, I noodled around too much as is typical when 1) I have a new toy and 2) I am comparing razors head-to-head. So there was just a little alum feedback. Two hours later I’m still calling it BBS, with the usual caveat that I’m only shaving neck and cheeks. The NEW was offered better visibility and control on the beard and sideburn margins.

I still fail to find Cremo ASTONISHINGLY SUPERIOR (TM) but it does add some slick and cushion whipped up with W Mug.

Found this vintage Gillette in the wild. Don’t quite know how to name it - Red and Black case, Deluxeish baseplate but no serial number, Tuckawayish diamond handle. RB Tuckaluxe?

3115AB04-FF01-479A-A115-52AE6E86E4B2.jpeg

Yes, it was sold with an open Super Blue rattling around in the case!

Compared to CBH NEW SC
033A3901-9D57-4465-BA5E-D93995A2A64D.jpeg

Schone open comb razors are made by Fatip. They have fewer and wider teeth.
Originally the fit and finish on Schone razors was better than Fatips, but currently Fatip has improved their QC.
Either one is a great choice, arguably the best OC bang for the buck.
I haven’t tried the Schone. It is similar dimensions to the Grande or your NEW SC, but a different and more highly praised head than the Fatip head. The Piccolo has the skinny but relatively heavy solid brass handle. The nickel finishes are probably the most durable, but I have had no problems with my lightly used (big rotation here!) dark (ruthenium?) plated Fatips. The choice among dimensional differences is mainly up to you. The Special Edition is the only one I know coming with both the OC and gentile plates.

You guys are bad enablers, now you've really got me interested lol.

Oops! I guess I should have tried it before I shot my mouth off. Doesn’t thread on at my house either! But, look what I found to try out with my first Nacet...
SOTD 3/21 - NEW kid on the block (pics at the bottom)

My new NEW (67g) v Karve OC-D (97g)
Nacet (1) v Voskhod (2)
Zenith B5
Williams Mug uber/mentholized with Cremo Cooling

View attachment 965106

It was a smooth shave on both sides of the face. As expected the Karve seemed slightly more efficient. Both blades are solid performers. As also expected, I noodled around too much as is typical when 1) I have a new toy and 2) I am comparing razors head-to-head. So there was just a little alum feedback. Two hours later I’m still calling it BBS, with the usual caveat that I’m only shaving neck and cheeks. The NEW was offered better visibility and control on the beard and sideburn margins.

I still fail to find Cremo ASTONISHINGLY SUPERIOR (TM) but it does add some slick and cushion whipped up with W Mug.

Found this vintage Gillette in the wild. Don’t quite know how to name it - Red and Black case, Deluxeish baseplate but no serial number, Tuckawayish diamond handle. RB Tuckaluxe?

View attachment 965104
Yes, it was sold with an open Super Blue rattling around in the case!

Compared to CBH NEW SC
View attachment 965105

That's an amazing find... Its a Wild Thang lol!
The closest I can think of is some sort of a new tuck away. But I really can't say cos most of the tucks have posts n this is a flat bottom.

This sucks all my razors are in user condition and you get mints... Not fair lol!

I'm really glad you found the Nacet great but it's a Karve D OC it is super effecient lol.

So far I'm really happy w my NSC as I need mild effeciency not aggro effeciency lol.

Cheers,

Mawashi

That's an amazing find... Its a Wild Thang lol!
The closest I can think of is some sort of a new tuck away. But I really can't say cos most of the tucks have posts n this is a flat bottom.

I’m basically a lucky Gillette ignoramus, but a “discussion” broke out on the DE acquisition thread after I posted a bunch of photos. Final verdict seems to be that it is a legitimate Red & Black set with a NEW Deluxe head and a handle that is slightly longer with bigger diamonds than a Tuckaway. An RB Diamond Dawg. Shave and learn.

Anyway, I like to think I’m a really good enabler...

Top Bottom