What's new

What is your experience with Harry's Razor

I bought the handle and some carts about 6 months ago, tried it a few times, without much good to say. Picked it up again about a week and a half ago determined to use up carts I had already spent money on. Experimented with a few soaps and brushless creams. settled on TOBS of various scents. Have gotten 10 BBS no irritation shaves with same cart, so far. It is a quick mindless shave, but the result is as good as my prior best cart, Fusion 5 proglide and as good as any of my DE razors. if I can get more that 10 good shaves in every cart, at less than $2.00 each, the cost is reasonable for me an I would give this system a definite :a14:

Meh. It gave OK shaves, but not quite as good as the Fusion or the Shick Hydro. The blades felt “rougher” than both the fusion and hydro- just not as comfortable.

I did find it orders of magnitude better than the Dorco 6+, which felt awful on the skin and gave only a so-so shave for me.

I wanted to like it, especially considering the price, but in the end went back to the Shick.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I'm not a fan for two main reasons.

1. The blades are so close together it clogs very easily. Especially with the cream they used to have that came in the squeeze tube.
2. I've never liked the angle of the handle with respect to the head. It needs to be almost parallel to your face and I don't like that. The other brands, Schick and Gillette give a better angle for me.

Once I couldn't find Mach3 cartridges reasonably priced any more, I started looking for reasonable alternatives. Tried a few different things. Ended up with the Harry's blades which I found to be totally acceptable for the price. Of course, it wasn't too long after that I realized one could get DE blades for next to nothing. Since I started with DE, I went back to that, and that's what I have been using the last few years. :clap:

So far I am the only one who seems to get a good shave with these carts, interesting. I find what I think is a shallower blade angle than the Fusion to be no problem, more slicing thru stubble than scrapping with a steeper angle. The spacing of the blades, using a brushless cream like Cremo or Trader Joe's, or any TOBS doesn't clog inconveniently ofter, for me anyway. I am on about 12 shaves with the current Harry's cart and still getting an irritation free/BBS shave. Guess my skin/beard/prep techniques/lathering process/and the way I shave all combine to let me get a good shave with this system.
I also get a similar shave with the Gillette Fusion5 proglide power carts.
On the other hand the Mach 3 regular or turbo never gives me better that a DFS shave on my cheeks and never better than an SAS on my chin and neck. Go figure.

Pre wet shaving I used a Gillette Sensor and found it to be the best cart I'd used. I started having a difficult time finding blades and then justifying the cost. The wife got me Harry's. To me it was the typical cart, much lower quality and performance to the sensor but way cheaper. When I started wet shaving I was thrilled to get rid of the Harry's gear.

Pre wet shaving I used a Gillette Sensor and found it to be the best cart I'd used. I started having a difficult time finding blades and then justifying the cost. The wife got me Harry's. To me it was the typical cart, much lower quality and performance to the sensor but way cheaper. When I started wet shaving I was thrilled to get rid of the Harry's gear.
How do you use a Sensor without wet shaving? Only Bill Duke dry shaves with a cart.

I used Harry’s for a year or more before switching to a safety razor. I liked them fine, and the price/performance ratio and convenience are second to no other cart. Their software’s not so good, though (which is how I came here looking for good soap and a brush and, well, the rest is history). I still have some Harry’s carts in my travel kit.

I'm a fan. I started using them about five years ago, and wasn't impressed at first, but I stuck with them and they've become my regular cartridge razor (I rotate between carts and my Merkur 33C). I use Harry's for most of my workday shaves, especially when I'm short on time, and get a very smooth, irritation-free shave. The blade clogging is an issue, but only when I've gone a few days without shaving.

Totally agree on the Bic. I've NEVER used one I liked.

It has been a long time since I shaved with a BIC cartridge razor. I never liked using one, either. However, BIC also makes DE razor blades called BIC Chrome Platinum. If you like very sharp DE blades, they are close to Feather in sharpness.

I have not tried Harry's. I do keep a Schick Hydro 5 in the shower for shaving the back of my neck.

I don't think they're too bad. For me , they're better than the Proglide series. I don't get as many ingrowns with Harrys but the razor does seem to clog up more. Definitely cheaper than the Proglide.

Harry's carts were... ok. I liked the price, but the cart performance was only decent and I didn't bother buying any more after I used up my initial purchase. If that was all I could get, I'd use them without complaint, but that's about all I can say.

Top Bottom