What's new

Looking for synthetic brush recommendation.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You might want to check image 4/4 on the Maggard site, Maggard-Razors-Synthetic-Knot-Cross-section. It's ulgy. I don't know why they would publish information like that.

I think the Porsche Panamera is ugly. I dont know how they sell them, but I'd still take one for a test drive.

My little Maggard is a better brush than my boar at 1/2 the cost. Its also a better brush than my Silvertip badger at 1/5 the cost. I cant say I care what the center of the knot looks like once split and I hope I never find out lol.

Love Maggards black synthetic brushes, it's been my daily driver for quite some time. I think the 22mm size is perfect.

They really are good brushes. The handle for me is perfect. I with they had an 18mm.

I think the Porsche Panamera is ugly. I dont know how they sell them, but I'd still take one for a test drive.

My little Maggard is a better brush than my boar at 1/2 the cost. Its also a better brush than my Silvertip badger at 1/5 the cost. I cant say I care what the center of the knot looks like once split and I hope I never find out lol.

They really are good brushes. The handle for me is perfect. I with they had an 18mm.
Any comment on the glue bump?

Here you go brother, they added one recently. Got one myself but I haven't used it yet.

(Removed the link, doesn't work for some reason and not sure if I'm allowed to)

Word of warning, they are surprisingly small, but I guess it's perfect for travel. The handles are nicely made as well, specially considering the price

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Any comment on the glue bump?

I cant say I've ever noticed one with mine and I tend to splay it a lot.

Here you go brother, they added one recently. Got one myself but I haven't used it yet.

(Removed the link, doesn't work for some reason and not sure if I'm allowed to)

Do you mean this Timberwolf?

Maggard Razors 18mm Black Handle Timberwolf Synthetic Shaving Brush, Travel Size | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products

I have a similar 24mm and cant say I like it much. Its a lot stiffer and harder to splay.

I cant say I've ever noticed one with mine and I tend to splay it a lot.

Do you mean this Timberwolf?

Maggard Razors 18mm Black Handle Timberwolf Synthetic Shaving Brush, Travel Size | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products

I have a similar 24mm and cant say I like it much. Its a lot stiffer and harder to splay.

Yup that's the one.

Ah I see, I didn't think it would be harder to splay as it's my first time with the timberwolf. I'm a fan of the ordinary black synthetics though

Just a thought, have you tried a fan style synthetic? I made a brush handle yesterday and glued a fan style synthetic knot in it last night and was pretty impressed with it for this mornings shave.

The one I have is a RazorRock so not really a fair comparison. If the loft was set a bit higher I think I'd like it just fine but I dont like the handle either.

(Tuxedo) RazoRock 24 Barrel Shaving Brush - with Tuxedo Plissoft Synth – ItalianBarber

I do have a couple of RR brushes but with the old style Plissoft's . It's been a while since I've used them but if I remember correctly they did set them deep.

Out of the three (RR, M and S), I think Maggards has the perfect splay to backbone ratio. My 2nd pick would be Stirling's but was a tad bit too high, almost bordering floppy (great splay) and then RR.

I have a couple Fine's 22mm but for some reason the later ones had a tiny bit of a scub or a poke. I didn't like it

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I do have a couple of RR brushes but with the old style Plissoft's . It's been a while since I've used them but if I remember correctly they did set them deep.

Out of the three (RR, M and S), I think Maggards has the perfect splay to backbone ratio. My 2nd pick would be Stirling's but was a tad bit too high, almost bordering floppy (great splay) and then RR.

I have a couple Fine's 22mm but for some reason the later ones had a tiny bit of a scub or a poke. I didn't like it

They're certainly set too deep for me.

My Maggard has very little scrub and what it does have is very gentle, but now you mention it, my RR brush does have a bit of scritch. I dont like that either. My Maggard has none. Its the only brush I use now and thinking about a backup on my next order from them.

I have a Maggard's 20mm Gray Timberwolf. The brush is very soft with no scritch at all. This brush is so soft that it belongs in the cosmetic makeup brush category. I work well with this brush, I just have to make a conscious effort to be very gentle with it. I prefer my Omega Hi-Brush syn. The High-Brush is better balanced brush that I believe will last longer.

I have the TurnNShave 26mm Timberwolf Fan knot that I put in a custom handle and it is one of my best performers. It pillowy soft, splays on demand, and hold a ton of water for those that like that, but its because of that reason that you have to be careful and mindful of that as it will release with a vengeance!! Mine probably holds onto a little more water because I like higher lofted knots and mine is set at 58-60mm. Once I found this out though it was very helpful being a face latherer as you want the brush to retain some water but not too much and it didn't take long to learn what was needed of it and that leads to it being a lathering beast in my rotation. It just feels luxurious to use and I do reach for it most shave mornings because of that!!
B-day Shave.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It pillowy soft, splays on demand, and hold a ton of water for those that like that, but its because of that reason that you have to be careful and mindful of that as it will release with a vengeance!!

I checked how much water my 24mm Silvertip held after being soaked and then squeezed out.

The handle is very nice. Its heavy, which works out very well. When the brush is soaked, it holds around 2 measured ounces of water, so when you have the lather built, the balance is very good.

I havent checked my synthetic. I should. I'll bet it holds a surprising amount of water and it will surely release it a lot easier than my Silvertip.

I have the TurnNShave 26mm Timberwolf Fan knot that I put in a custom handle and it is one of my best performers. It pillowy soft, splays on demand, and hold a ton of water for those that like that, but its because of that reason that you have to be careful and mindful of that as it will release with a vengeance!! Mine probably holds onto a little more water because I like higher lofted knots and mine is set at 58-60mm. Once I found this out though it was very helpful being a face latherer as you want the brush to retain some water but not too much and it didn't take long to learn what was needed of it and that leads to it being a lathering beast in my rotation. It just feels luxurious to use and I do reach for it most shave mornings because of that!!
View attachment 953821
It is interesting to hear that the larger diameter knots are maintaining similar characteristics. The Timberwolf is good looking knot. It goes with many different colors.

I checked how much water my 24mm Silvertip held after being soaked and then squeezed out. I havent checked my synthetic. I should. I'll bet it holds a surprising amount of water and it will surely release it a lot easier than my Silvertip.
Hey Mike, I remember a while back there was someone that did a couple video's to show the difference between a natural hair vs synthetic as to water retention. From what I recall his was just a Maggard's Plissoft type and didn't hold very much water but I would bet mine could fill up a small shot glass with what comes out of it after I wet it down. I do remember that the guy doing the testing only held his under the water and have personally found if I splay the knot in the water it retains more water than just running it under the faucet though.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Hey Mike, I remember a while back there was someone that did a couple video's to show the difference between a natural hair vs synthetic as to water retention. From what I recall his was just a Maggard's Plissoft type and didn't hold very much water but I would bet mine could fill up a small shot glass with what comes out of it after I wet it down. I do remember that the guy doing the testing only held his under the water and have personally found if I splay the knot in the water it retains more water than just running it under the faucet though.

I soaked my badger then lifted it and let it stop dripping, then squeezed the water into shot glasses. It filled the second shot glass to just past the 1oz line.

I'll try and remember to do that with my Maggard today after I shave and see how much it holds in the same way.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
@muzichead

I checked my Maggard for water retention, twice. Both times I dunked and splayed to remove as much air as possible then lifted and waited until it stopped dripping. Then I squeezed the water into shot glasses. Both times, I came up with around 3/4 of an ounce.

Thats a lot of water considering the size of the knot compared to my Silvertip!

IMG_2999.jpg IMG_2998.jpg

@muzichead

I checked my Maggard for water retention, twice. Both times I dunked and splayed to remove as much air as possible then lifted and waited until it stopped dripping. Then I squeezed the water into shot glasses. Both times, I came up with around 3/4 of an ounce.

Thats a lot of water considering the size of the knot compared to my Silvertip!

View attachment 953910 View attachment 953909
That is a lot of water... I want to say the video's I'd seen last year the guy was using a 24mm knot and it barely covered the bottom of the glass he was using!! It really wasn't a fair comparison and in fact quite biased towards the natural haired brushes...

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That is a lot of water... I want to say the video's I'd seen last year the guy was using a 24mm knot and it barely covered the bottom of the glass he was using!! It really wasn't a fair comparison and in fact quite biased towards the natural haired brushes...

If mine was a 24mm I'd expect it to carry a full ounce.

Top Bottom