What's new

Looking for synthetic brush recommendation.

Why don't you join the Synth brush pass around box found in the stickies of this sub forum? You'll get a chance to try a bunch of brushes, and then decide what you like, before you buy.
Thanks, I will consider that.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Thank you all for your suggestions! I ordered the Barber Handle Plissoft synthetic knot from Italianbarber for the princely sum of $13. If I like it I may buy more, if I don't well, then I'm down $13 bucks. I wasted more on bad wine. :)

That’s one of 3 in my rotation. You’re going to wonder why you need anything else. Lather explodes off this brush. Congrats on a very wise choice!

That’s one of 3 in my rotation. You’re going to wonder why you need anything else. Lather explodes off this brush. Congrats on a very wise choice!
Thanks. I will definitely give you a report after I’ve used it some.

I have this brush as well and have been using for maybe 2 years. Should be good for face lathering. However I'm a bowl lather person and paint. I also have the RR 400 (Rubberset replica) nior. Beautiful brush.

I have this brush as well and have been using for maybe 2 years. Should be good for face lathering. However I'm a bowl lather person and paint. I also have the RR 400 (Rubberset replica) nior. Beautiful brush.

Hannah's Dad and Warlocks,

Having experience with this Barber Handle Plissoft would you say it can be used in a circular motion? Painting is fine, but I like to go circular on my initial face lathering.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.

Having experience with this Barber Handle Plissoft would you say it can be used in a circular motion? Painting is fine, but I like to go circular on my initial face lathering.
Absolutely. I only face-lather. I swirl first, them paint. I gave away my silver-tip badger and boar brushes — they paled in comparison to the plissoft. You’ll love it — trust me!

Absolutely. I only face-lather. I swirl first, them paint. I gave away my silver-tip badger and boar brushes — they paled in comparison to the plissoft. You’ll love it — trust me!
Ok, you've really got me anticipating this brush now. I did receive notice today that it has shipped.

I would say yes it should. Handle is a good size.

I have two synthetic brushes, a Simpson Chubby 2 and a Simpson Duke 3. These are great brushes for using a painting stroke (Simpson even recommends this stroke), but I am also interested in a synthetic brush that I can do circular strokes with like I can with my Simpson super badger Persian Jar 2.

Thank you for your consideration.

Ike
It looks like you are well set with synthetic brushes. I would just give them time to break in sufficiently. I have an Omega Hi-Brush that was considered too springy by many. After one year of use it is now near perfect. I do the circular strokes and paint with it. I think the springy nature of the High-Brush was do the construction of the loft height setting. After a year of break in the brush is great now. My bottom line understanding is synthetic's take a long time to break in. They will last a long time because of the synthetic material.

It looks like you are well set with synthetic brushes. I would just give them time to break in sufficiently. I have an Omega Hi-Brush that was considered too springy by many. After one year of use it is now near perfect. I do the circular strokes and paint with it. I think the springy nature of the High-Brush was do the construction of the loft height setting. After a year of break in the brush is great now. My bottom line understanding is synthetic's take a long time to break in. They will last a long time because of the synthetic material.
Interesting, I have not heard of the long break-in time for synthetics. My Simpson synthetics are both probably less than six months old.

Lord willing, I will have time to break them in!

I haven't read all the posts here so forgive any repetition. I just use two brushes, and don't feel a need for any more: a Razorock Bruce ($10), and a Razorock Silvertip ($21). The Bruce has a softer knot and I use it for creams. The silver tip has more backbone and I use it for soaps.

I haven't read all the posts here so forgive any repetition. I just use two brushes, and don't feel a need for any more: a Razorock Bruce ($10), and a Razorock Silvertip ($21). The Bruce has a softer knot and I use it for creams. The silver tip has more backbone and I use it for soaps.
No repetition on your part and I appreciate the input!

Ike, I'd bet there's little or no difference between the synthetics made by RazoRock, Yaqi, and the others. They may even buy their knots from the same source.

Top Bottom