What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

My wife is happy that my collection easily fits into two cigar boxes and doesn't require a new insurance policy or a rider on an existing one.

77DBDA70-E734-4B05-AF8D-A198EDE251BA.jpeg

Recent addition to the Ralf Aust clan (#9).
7/8 with ovangkol scales. This guy sure makes one nice razor.

Proud owner of a William Greaves & Sons courtesy of eBay. My guess is that it dates to pre-1850 based on the manufacturing history. Really excited to get it in hand, cleaned up, and shaving.
s-l1600-2.jpg

Found this at a thrift store today. 13/16" blade with a 1/4" thick spine, white pearl colored scales with "Matador" in gold letters on it.
The tang reads "MATADOR, 28.968, SPAIN" and has a bulls head logo. It looks like it's never been used and was sharp enough to shave the hair on my arm. Although I'm still learning to hone I did 100+ laps on a blue Thuringian (Escher?) and got a great edge (for me) on it.
This is a heavy razor and I like the feel of it in my hand. However I can't find anything about this razor anywhere. Could it be some type of Filarmonica?
If anyone knows anything about this razor please let me know.
If I can get a good edge on this I may use it to learn to shave with.

I have a 28.969 . It is much smaller. The etching and gold wash is remarkably
similar to a JMP doble temple.
DSCN0743b.jpg
DSCN0744b.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0747b.jpg
    DSCN0747b.jpg
    972.9 KB · Views: 20
Ok so I'm finally getting round to this - after a few ebay false starts I've got a selection which I'm happy with for now. I know none of them are anything special in the grand scheme of things, but I'm just happy to have a few reliably sharp razors to switch between while I'm still learning with an SR.

#1 - an old 5/8 Bismarck, not one of the very old ones but a very forgiving, sharp blade

#2 - a 6/8 Joseph Allen & Sons - thus far my finest honing achievement having come to me with 3 big chips (definitely more like 13/16 when I got it two sheets of 40u film ago...) and with a lot more corrosion than it now has

#3 - newest one arrived today - 6/8 Habeeb and Joseph. Not yet shaved but arrived wicked sharp (and far cleaner than those I've cleaned up - I see a dremel in my future...). I needed a

All 'bay specials, all sub-£30, with #2 running a whopping £10. Still love this cheap hobby!

20190116_225122.jpg 20190116_225057.jpg 20190116_225036.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Ok so I'm finally getting round to this - after a few ebay false starts I've got a selection which I'm happy with for now. I know none of them are anything special in the grand scheme of things, but I'm just happy to have a few reliably sharp razors to switch between while I'm still learning with an SR.

#1 - an old 5/8 Bismarck, not one of the very old ones but a very forgiving, sharp blade

#2 - a 6/8 Joseph Allen & Sons - thus far my finest honing achievement having come to me with 3 big chips (definitely more like 13/16 when I got it two sheets of 40u film ago...) and with a lot more corrosion than it now has

#3 - newest one arrived today - 6/8 Habeeb and Joseph. Not yet shaved but arrived wicked sharp (and far cleaner than those I've cleaned up - I see a dremel in my future...). I needed a

All 'bay specials, all sub-£30, with #2 running a whopping £10. Still love this cheap hobby!

View attachment 944362 View attachment 944363 View attachment 944364

It seems to me there's been a recent price jump in the straights on eBay, but it could be just ones that catch my eye.

However, there are plenty of very inexpensive bargains to be had. I have only about ten or so straights (not counting the Feather barber razors and Gold Dollars). A couple of my straights are in rehab and not shave worthy at all. A couple more have smiles or something and I'm not advanced enough with the stones to hone them just yet. Several of my six or seven sharp razors (ones in the rotation) cost between $10 and $20, and they're very nice razors. Surprising how nice a razor you can pick up for a song.

Nothing wrong with the razors you've got. I like what I see! They shave you just a well as somebody's beautiful custom razor that cost $1000 I'd bet. Not saying I don't drool over the beauties we see in these parts.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom