What's new

What Are You Reading?

proxy.php

Based on a recommendation here, I just started An Ancient Evil by P.C. Doherty. It's a mystery/thriller, but the overall setting involves the pilgrims in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. This is the first in a series where the pilgrims tell spooky tales by night. For a high school senior English teacher, it had me hooked by the end of the first page.
Thanks.

I just finished the first book in PC Doherty's Canterbury Tales series and have started the second, A Tapestry of Murders.

The first book blew me away in terms of Doherty's blending right in with Chaucer's tale. I like Doherty's murder mystery parts of the book, but what I really like is his interaction among the pilgrims. In Chaucer's work, most of the pilgrims were just a random collection of travelers. In Doherty's universe, there is an unspoken connection because many of them ... just like any good mystery would have.

I'm reading The Pagan Lord by Bernard Cornwell. It's #6 in the Saxon (Last Kingdom) series. The series follows a warrior from youth to old age in Anglo Saxon England. Cornwell tells a good tale. He is a pretty prolific writer. To some degree his heroes are all cut from the same cloth and there are some repeating themes and characters. There's lots of action and his history is robust.

This must be my year for Finishing What I Started (such as still participating in The _____ Willy, 3017 Williams Mug Soap Challenge V2.0), because I'm still slogging through Robert Heinlein's "The Number of the Beast" (1980). I had read it in the '80s, and I was hoping I would like it better this time around. No such luck. It could have been condensed into a 100 page novella, and still be tedious.
But I will finish it.
And then cleanse my palate by re-reading Stephen King's "Black House" or something.

I'm reading The Pagan Lord by Bernard Cornwell. It's #6 in the Saxon (Last Kingdom) series. The series follows a warrior from youth to old age in Anglo Saxon England. Cornwell tells a good tale. He is a pretty prolific writer. To some degree his heroes are all cut from the same cloth and there are some repeating themes and characters. There's lots of action and his history is robust.

I love his Saxon series the best out of all his works. Uhtred is a very entertaining character.

"The Officers' Club" by Ralph Peters. Got it for 25 cents at the local library. 1st one I've read by him, I really like his writing so far

This must be my year for Finishing What I Started (such as still participating in The _____ Willy, 3017 Williams Mug Soap Challenge V2.0), because I'm still slogging through Robert Heinlein's "The Number of the Beast" (1980). I had read it in the '80s, and I was hoping I would like it better this time around. No such luck. It could have been condensed into a 100 page novella, and still be tedious.
But I will finish it.
And then cleanse my palate by re-reading Stephen King's "Black House" or something.
While not technically a read, the gunslinger series on audio is one of my King favorites.

Top Bottom