What's new

What Are You Reading?

Lawrence in Arabia by Scott Anderson... humor and a great presentation.. I was afraid it would be dull and dry like the desert it is set in, but far from it.

Just finished with Lonesome Dove. Great adventure and characters but I didn't like the ending.

Started on Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. I'm a big fan of Neal so I'm looking forward to this one.

Hmmm. Judging by my post in this thread on Nov. 16, 2016, I liked the latest Reacher book a lot. I cannot remember it at all at this point, other than it seemed satisfying and I thought the plot was well-done. I am usually sensitive to and complaining as to overly deus ex machine (I seem to be prevented from spelling this correctly!) plots. I cannot say I read the Reacher books all that closely.

I have more thought that the earliest of the Reacher books were uneven, and they have gotten better over time.

I completely agree that the co-authoring, etc. seems cheap and does not generally lead to good work.

I finished reading Charles Bukowski:Laughing with the Gods by Fernanda Pivano.

How is it? I am surprised that Bukowski does not come up more often in this thread. I guess I have come to think of Bukowski's own work as a guilty pleasure, at best. Of course, I have not really read his poetry, more the novels. I do not think that anyone is going to look to me for a judgment from me about the quality of any poet's work.

Basically a jerk of a human being. I think there was a time when culturally we found raving alcoholics more amusing than we find them now. Again, I have not really explored his poetry.

Reading 3 Right now
-Zondervan NIV Archaeological Study Bible. Doing this as my yearly for 2017 (and probably 2018)
-Helping Your Child with Extreme Picky Eating. This is supposed to be the difinitive guide for parents whose children have feeding disorders of any type.
-Speed re-reading Prince Lestat so I can remember what happened and who all of the players were before moving on to the new Realms of Atlantis book.

How is it? I am surprised that Bukowski does not come up more often in this thread. I guess I have come to think of Bukowski's own work as a guilty pleasure, at best. Of course, I have not really read his poetry, more the novels. I do not think that anyone is going to look to me for a judgment from me about the quality of any poet's work.

Basically a jerk of a human being. I think there was a time when culturally we found raving alcoholics more amusing than we find them now. Again, I have not really explored his poetry.
These are two interviews with Bukowski from the eighties. And a few notes about the works of Bukowski. All very interesting, especially for fans of this writer [emoji106]

Wysłane z mojego LG-H440n przy użyciu Tapatalka

Stede Bonnet Charleston's Gentleman Pirate
I know the story by heart, but this is another telling I decided to check out.

$61LbQQ5R2aL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

$godfather-notebook.jpg

Just started reading this - a reproduction of Coppola's notebook for creating The Godfather. He made a 700-odd page binder, using pages from the original novel, on which he made notes. He also typed out synopsis, tone and theme ideas at the top of each "scene". Fascinating. If you love the film (and I sure do) it is heavenly.

$the-godfather-notebook-4.jpg

Top Bottom