What's new

What Are You Reading?

You are a lucky guy, and you should be both. Great book. Not a great series, IMHO.
Cool. I haven't really made the time to dive in and I'm still on page 40 but I'm really liking it so far. I've owned a copy of this book for... 13 years? I think I've put it off for fear that I won't get it or something.

It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis.
If you haven't, you really need to read this book. It was published in 1935, and I seem to say "wow" or "holy crap" with every turn of a new page.

$853-1.jpg

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Geez, I just checked my big county-wide system, and every copy of It Can't Happen Here has at least 5 reservations. Even the online versions are stacked 7 deep.

Did something happen recently?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Geez, I just checked my big county-wide system, and every copy of It Can't Happen Here has at least 5 reservations. Even the online versions are stacked 7 deep.

Did something happen recently?
As someone who has read 1984 six times since 1984, I can say nothing just happened. Change is gradual.

I don't want to spoil the book and don't want to start an inappropriate debate, but my goodness ... I think certain sectors read this book as a "how to" manual. It's scary how close Lewis, in 1935, came to hitting the 2016/17 nail on the head.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I don't want to spoil the book and don't want to start an inappropriate debate, but my goodness ... I think certain sectors read this book as a "how to" manual. It's scary how close Lewis, in 1935, came to hitting the 2016/17 nail on the head.
Lewis, Huxley, and Orwell understood human nature.

I am a fan of all three. Brave New World is shockingly similar to today's society. It Can't Happen Here is ripped from today's headlines, or, I guess, today's headlines are ripped from the book. We are staring 1984 right in the face.

Animal Farm is my favorite. I teach high school senior English and teach it four times per year. I actually have a first edition.

Top Bottom