What's new

The Sprout-2017

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Have any bees been working the tomatillo's?

There has been a few bees in the tunnel, I assume they would have been on the tomitillo, as well as the tomatoes.
A few weeks ago there were some ants on it. I do belive they are also pollinators.
Then there was my fat finger moving some pollen around. :laugh:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Found a Bhut Jolokia today that insisted it come home with me. Happy to give it a new home next to one of the habaneros.

$20170121_131808.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Well this may not be the best photo but what is inside the husk makes me happy.
My solo tomitillo looks to be bearing fruit not just empty husks. There were a couple of bumble bees working it the other day.

$20170125_182701.jpg

The tomotillo and the tomatoes on the end are competing for space with the taro.

$20170125_182641.jpg

The ploblano and jalapeno are just starting with a couple of pods.......just.

$20170125_182822.jpg

The capsicum has also started to produce.

$20170125_182624.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Nice pictures Chris. I just knew the tomatillo would produce. I believe your neighbor is growing them secretly.

The first picture is a tray of herbs growing in coconut coir. Thai and Greek basil, tarragon, sage, lemon grass, English thyme, and Italian oregano.

The bottom picture with the peat pots is 13 varieties of tomatoes, beets, lettuce, fennel, Pak choy. I have yet to build my 2nd raised bed to plant them in. I've got some work to do.

Strawberries too.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Nice pictures Chris. I just knew the tomatillo would produce. I believe your neighbor is growing them secretly.

The first picture is a tray of herbs growing in coconut coir. Thai and Greek basil, tarragon, sage, lemon grass, English thyme, and Italian oregano.

The bottom picture with the peat pots is 13 varieties of tomatoes, beets, lettuce, fennel, Pak choy. I have yet to build my 2nd raised bed to plant them in. I've got some work to do.

Strawberries too.

The neighbor is envious of our poly tunnel. He is thinking of digging a small garden himself. I think the tomitillo just likes its company and spot.
Not too hot or cold and well looked after.

Hmm coconut coir you say, interesting. That is a good variety of herbs and plants you are starting.

We planted some strawberries a few years back. They took off and with the help of the birds spread. A new strawberry has sprouted next to the tomatoes in the poly tunnel.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Well we have had the worst summer in 30 years. Rain, cool weather, rain, wind and some more rain.
I'm glad I have the poly tunnel.

Still a few weeks off but the sight of some chilli pods makes this man happy.

Habanaeros have a few small pods in the pot and in the ground.

20170207_161036.jpg

There is also a little ghost in the tunnel :)

20170207_161056.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Nice:). Well, if you makes you feel any better we've had virtually no winter here. Which, isn't at all out of the norm.

My chili tepin's have just now put on a few peppers. I can't wait for a few to ripen so I can put them on a taco. The poblano's and tomatillo's are going great. I think I'll let some of my poblano's ripen until they are red.

Well we have had the worst summer in 30 years. Rain, cool weather, rain, wind and some more rain.
I'm glad I have the poly tunnel.

Still a few weeks off but the sight of some chilli pods makes this man happy.

Habanaeros have a few small pods in the pot and in the ground.

There is also a little ghost in the tunnel :)

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Nice:). Well, if you makes you feel any better we've had virtually no winter here. Which, isn't at all out of the norm.

My chili tepin's have just now put on a few peppers. I can't wait for a few to ripen so I can put them on a taco. The poblano's and tomatillo's are going great. I think I'll let some of my poblano's ripen until they are red.

Ahhh, so that's where my summer went. I'm hoping for a Indian Summer.
I've got five Russian Red tomato seedlings started to grow into the winter. Just 'cause I can.;)

I see a chili tepin hot sauce in your future. :001_cool:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
The wife found these tomitillo on the ground. They are not ripe yet but good to see my solo plant is not shooting blanks. :001_smile

20170209_171436.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I've never tried one of these. Do they taste like the standard tomatoes?

I have not tried them fresh myself, so can't say what they are like exactly.
I'm sure @DoctorShavegood can chime in here.

They are not sold fresh here at all. That's why I decide to try growing some.
We can get tomitillos in a can and I tried them a few years ago in something I made.

The wife rang me at work today to tell me about the ones she found above. Yeah, she is looking forward to trying them as well.

Some Salsa Verde is in the plans. I'm open to recipes or other uses?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The wife found these tomitillo on the ground. They are not ripe yet but good to see my solo plant is not shooting blanks. :001_smile

They look almost ready to eat. Let them sit for a few days.

I've never tried one of these. Do they taste like the standard tomatoes?
Tomatillo's are not in the tomato genus and is a different plant. Some varieties are purple or even orange. They taste nothing like a tomato. I'm sure you have eaten them at your local Mexican food restaurant in the form of a verde (green) salsa.
salsa-verde-034.jpg

Garden is tilled, fertilized and ready for rain!!! I cut and dusted 4 varieties of potatoes so they will be ready to plant in 2 weeks. I also have Roma tomatoes in trays snuggling in the shop. Still need to plant carrots and beets.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
They look almost ready to eat. Let them sit for a few days.

Tomatillo's are not in the tomato genus and is a different plant. Some varieties are purple or even orange. They taste nothing like a tomato. I'm sure you have eaten them at your local Mexican food restaurant in the form of a verde (green) salsa. View attachment 760054

Looks like something I've ate before. I'll have to see about getting at least a plant or two for the garden.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
2nd raised bed now built. It's 4'X10'. The higher part is for 3 tomato plants. Compost has been ordered.

IMG_2724[1].JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom