What's new

The Sprout-2017

A new year, and a new year of gardening coming up, and a new thread for it all. Not sure I'm going to start a garden this year yet or not. I've never had one, and now I have space to put one in, but there is a lot to do on the new house and land, so not positive a garden will fit in, time wise. Maybe I can start with something just small and simple? Anyone with ideas and suggestions for a first timer?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I do a TOO BIG garden every year....stupid. That being said, we mulch heavily, so that cuts down on the work.

If I were going to downsize and cash was no object, I'd buy those specialized container garden thingies. My neighbor made his own from 5 gallon buckets and plans he got off Youtube . They worked wonderfully.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
A new year, and a new year of gardening coming up, and a new thread for it all. Not sure I'm going to start a garden this year yet or not. I've never had one, and now I have space to put one in, but there is a lot to do on the new house and land, so not positive a garden will fit in, time wise. Maybe I can start with something just small and simple? Anyone with ideas and suggestions for a first timer?

If you like tomatoes, they are easy to grow and taste much better than store bought ones. If you don't want to dig a garden space you can plant them in pots or bags.

FarmerTan

If you like tomatoes, they are easy to grow and taste much better than store bought ones. If you don't want to dig a garden space you can plant them in pots or bags.

+1!!! If I only grew tomatoes I would be happy....but the War Department trumps my plan every year, lol!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
My Jalapeno and Poblano are now towering over the Habanero.

$DSC_0012_03.jpg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I would suggest thinking about how much time you have to invest. Then think about what you want to plant, such as what you eat the most of. This will help determine how much space you need since different plants require a different amount of space.

If space is not a concern then time should be. The bigger the garden the more time is required to maintain it. I've been in and around gardens my whole life and they can be a real labor of love.

So maybe decide the top 3 vegetables you eat and then do a few plants of each. 6-9 plants is a good small garden that shouldn't require to much space and time.

I do a TOO BIG garden every year....stupid. That being said, we mulch heavily, so that cuts down on the work.

If I were going to downsize and cash was no object, I'd buy those specialized container garden thingies. My neighbor made his own from 5 gallon buckets and plans he got off Youtube . They worked wonderfully.

OOooo... those look lik a good option. No tilling and whatnot needed to start out.

FarmerTan

I would suggest thinking about how much time you have to invest. Then think about what you want to plant, such as what you eat the most of. This will help determine how much space you need since different plants require a different amount of space.

If space is not a concern then time should be. The bigger the garden the more time is required to maintain it. I've been in and around gardens my whole life and they can be a real labor of love.

So maybe decide the top 3 vegetables you eat and then do a few plants of each. 6-9 plants is a good small garden that shouldn't require to much space and time.

Labor of love is key. Of my three siblings, I'm the only one that loves gardening; dad thought we should all work in the garden like cotton pickers, lol.
But if you LOVE it, it's more like therapy, in my professional opinion, ha.

So, the strange part... I grew up on a dairy farm owned and operated by my dad. On the same 100 acre farm, my grandfather owned and operated a greenhouse business. The family garden was larger than the plot many suburban houses are built on. I just never really was drawn towards that sort of thing till way later in my life, which is unfortunate when I start to think of the amount of knowledge I had at my fingertips from my grandfather.

My overall thought is tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers. Mostly since I plan to do canning and pickling this coming year. Pepper relish, pickles, etc.. So maybe some herbs as well.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Consider growing pots for all kinds of delicious herbs and dwarf tomatoes.

Dwarf Red Robin cherry tomatoes
$image.jpg

Herbs, peppers, spinach
$image.jpg

FarmerTan

So, the strange part... I grew up on a dairy farm owned and operated by my dad. On the same 100 acre farm, my grandfather owned and operated a greenhouse business. The family garden was larger than the plot many suburban houses are built on. I just never really was drawn towards that sort of thing till way later in my life, which is unfortunate when I start to think of the amount of knowledge I had at my fingertips from my grandfather.

My overall thought is tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers. Mostly since I plan to do canning and pickling this coming year. Pepper relish, pickles, etc.. So maybe some herbs as well.

Thank you SO much for starting this thread. It made me think happy memories of my dad. Gardening is a funny thing.....my dad's family had it's issues, way too crazy to go in to here, but to make a long story short, when he and his uncle reconnected after 50 years, his uncle gave him some seed potatoes that had been in the family for generations. He treasured those.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
We got 3 Jiffy greenhouses that are starting now. Tomatoes, every kind of pepper, cucumbers, watermelon, beans and so much more

proxy.php

proxy.php

We got 5 shopping bags stuffed full of seeds. Every kind of vegetable and fruit you can imagine. (Well, the most popular stuff anyway)

proxy.php

The 2017 garden will be a whopper!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Of course we are not going to plant everything we got. These seeds will last us YEARS

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Me too, just couldn't wait to pull the first semi-ripe ones off the vine and slice into one.

I gave them a few more days and what a difference. Not the sweetest of the cherry tomatoes but they are not meant to be.

The plants are starting to load up.

$20170116_184815.jpg

The Russian Reds are about to go for it. I'll give the red ones a few more days.

$20170116_184847.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I gave them a few more days and what a difference. Not the sweetest of the cherry tomatoes but they are not meant to be.

The plants are starting to load up.

The Russian Reds are about to go for it. I'll give the red ones a few more days.

Very nice tomatoes farmer Chris. I like how you trimmed off those lower tomato leaves. Hows that tomatillo coming? Your pepper plants are looking good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom